PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My early perception, Patriots 3rd best in AFC East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will someone please explain to me how the JEST have been able to load up on all of these high priced free agents( Faneca, Jenkins,Pace, Scott,etc.) and be under the cap?

Will someone please explain to me how the JEST have been able to load up on all of these high priced free agents( Faneca, Jenkins,Pace, Scott,etc.) and be under the cap?

They're under the cap right now. Check back a couple of years from now. :D

:rofl: My perception is there's a Michele Felger pinkhat factor on this board.

Let's see.....Brady is back after a year away because of his bad knee and has a very un-Brady like year....had no running game all year....had limited WR depth all year....TE's were never incorporated into the offense....terrible playcalling and no offensive coordination....had no pass rush all year long which unfairly exposed the DB's all year long .....defensive ROY Jerod Mayo gets hurt early on and is largely ineffective the rest of the season.....Brandon Meriweather has game but is wildly undisciplined...bad apples like Adalius Thomas and Shawn Springs infect the locker room....Bill Belichick has his worst coaching season since he's been in Foxborough...........................and with ALL THAT GOING WRONG the Patriots won 10 games, won their division and went to the playoffs.
Now if THAT dysfunctional underachieving poorly coached group wins 10 games with all those problems and glaring weaknesses what happens if they address even HALF of their problems via the draft/FA's?? What happens if Brady comes back strong, Mayo returns to form and they develop a pass rush via draft/FA signing which then immediately improves their DB's because they won't need to hold coverage for 10 + seconds on every play??
This Patriot team will be FINE!!!!!!
This HC and this QB are allowed to have off years which is what we just saw....and they won 10 games and their division.
The Patriots have weaknesses which will be addressed. I think they're a couple of years away from retooling for another Super Bowl win (this core group is not done winning rings yet) but this team is playoff bound next year and will be better than they were this past season.
Get a GRIP people!! :rolleyes: The sky is not falling.
Stop embarrassing yourselves and stop judging the Patriots on the last game you saw them play.

Boy, Pats fans are really in denial on Henne. I'm not saying he's going to be the next Montana, but he will be a solid quarterback, given that the Dolphins put some weapons around him. The guy had Devone Bess and Brian Hartline, as his best two receivers. He had absolutely nothing (and please don't bring up Ted Ginn because he's a bust as a receiver). Living in South Florida, I watched the Dolphins almost as much as I watched the Pats and I can tell you first hand that the majority of the INT's he threw were the kind that bounced off of his receivers' hands and into the hands of the defense. I can't really remember him throwing many boneheaded picks. Not to mention that if he sucks so bad then what does he make our defense, given that he carved us up like a turkey on Thanksgiving.

As for the Pats, well, they are in a wierd place right now IMO. They are at a point where a couple of good moves and Brady's health (both mental and physical) improving can make them simply awesome again. On the flipside, they are also at a place where a couple of bad moves this offseason plus lack of improvement on both fronts from Brady could thoroughly close the window a bit more on the team's chances for another Super Bowl. It all depends on what we do in the draft and in free agency. Making a snap judgment about the team at this point, either way, is just a bit of a waste of time... especially since it's pretty much a given that we're going to be fielding a different looking team next season.

Henne is nothing more than an average QB. No one has said that he is terrible, he is just mediocre. One day he could be a decent QB but right now he is average. Look at his numbers from this past season, 22nd in yards, 24th TD's, 11th INTs. Those numbers are average, maybe even closer to below average. Put it this way, do you believe Henne could lead a team to the playoffs? Probably not.

I do agree with your 2nd argument that this off season is very crucial for the Pats. With a few good moves the Pats are right back as AFC contenders, but on the other hand with a few moves that dont work out the team could be on the outside of the playoffs looking in.

Henne is nothing more than an average QB. No one has said that he is terrible, he is just mediocre. One day he could be a decent QB but right now he is average. Look at his numbers from this past season, 22nd in yards, 24th TD's, 11th INTs. Those numbers are average, maybe even closer to below average. Put it this way, do you believe Henne could lead a team to the playoffs? Probably not.

I do agree with your 2nd argument that this off season is very crucial for the Pats. With a few good moves the Pats are right back as AFC contenders, but on the other hand with a few moves that dont work out the team could be on the outside of the playoffs looking in.

To be honest, I don't think there is much that even Brady could do with the "weapons" that Henne has. And please don't bring up Caldwell and Gaffney, both of whom are better than Hartline and Bess.

We had a bad year FOR US and still won the division. I see BB making a lot of moves this off season and us getting better next year and in the Title game.

We had a lot of rookies last year that wil be better this year and as long as we get a pass rusher will be back at the top.

Good thing for us the season doesn't start till September 2010:)

That's why this is the offseason.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't think there is much that even Brady could do with the "weapons" that Henne has. And please don't bring up Caldwell and Gaffney, both of whom are better than Hartline and Bess.

Henne also has 2 of the better RB's in the league to help set up the passing game. Brady would do a better job with the Dolphins offense than Henne. Henne is a mediocre QB with potential. I dont know what class you are trying to put him in right now, certainly he isnt a top 10 QB, probably not even a top 15.

Do the Pats or do they not spend to the cap every year? They do, so what's the issue? That they don't pay assistants enough?

Bills fan here saying Lee Evans isn't a free agent.....he got a 4 year extension in the 2008 season...

Henne also has 2 of the better RB's in the league to help set up the passing game. Brady would do a better job with the Dolphins offense than Henne. Henne is a mediocre QB with potential. I dont know what class you are trying to put him in right now, certainly he isnt a top 10 QB, probably not even a top 15.

Ronnie Brown went out in the first half of Week 10. On top of that, while Ricky Williams is still good, I would not call him "one of the better RB's in the league". And of course Brady would do better. Brady's a GOAT candidate. That's an incredibly weak argument you're trying to make. And no, I'm not trying to put him in the top ten right now. I'm just saying that he's solid. If the Dolphins put better weapons around him then what they have right now (which is pretty WIDELY agreed to be the worst receiving corps in the league), he'll be even better. His numbers aren't impressive this year, no. But when you consider that this was his first season starting and then consider what he had to work with, then you should be pretty impressed. And believe me, I HATE the Dolphins and have never had any reason to defend them. But Henne is and will continue to be a solid QB, one who can only improve from here.

Ronnie Brown went out in the first half of Week 10. On top of that, while Ricky Williams is still good, I would not call him "one of the better RB's in the league". And of course Brady would do better. Brady's a GOAT candidate. That's an incredibly weak argument you're trying to make. And no, I'm not trying to put him in the top ten right now. I'm just saying that he's solid. If the Dolphins put better weapons around him then what they have right now (which is pretty WIDELY agreed to be the worst receiving corps in the league), he'll be even better. His numbers aren't impressive this year, no. But when you consider that this was his first season starting and then consider what he had to work with, then you should be pretty impressed. And believe me, I HATE the Dolphins and have never had any reason to defend them. But Henne is and will continue to be a solid QB, one who can only improve from here.

I think Ricky is one of the top 10 RBs in the league and would love to have him on my team. He was 10th in the league in rushing and he wasnt even the teams feature back until Brown went down in week 10. Having backs like Williams and Brown definitely make Henne's job a lot easier. You cannot deny that.

I actually dont mind the Dolphins, if they werent in the AFC East I would actually want them to win games. I was misunderstood at your point at the beginning, I thought you were making the claim that he is one of the top 10 QBs in the league. He did have a very good first season starting especially with the WRs that he had. If he gets some decent WRs and Williams and Brown keep doing what they're doing he will have a solid career in Miami.

I think Ricky is one of the top 10 RBs in the league and would love to have him on my team. He was 10th in the league in rushing and he wasnt even the teams feature back until Brown went down in week 10. Having backs like Williams and Brown definitely make Henne's job a lot easier. You cannot deny that.

I actually dont mind the Dolphins, if they werent in the AFC East I would actually want them to win games. I was misunderstood at your point at the beginning, I thought you were making the claim that he is one of the top 10 QBs in the league. He did have a very good first season starting especially with the WRs that he had. If he gets some decent WRs and Williams and Brown keep doing what they're doing he will have a solid career in Miami.

Believe it or not, word around the grapevine (that being radio stations, newspapers, and general word of mouth) around these parts is that the Dolphins might dangle Brown as trade bait at some point during the offseason. Supposedly, they like what they have in Williams, Cobbs, and Hilliard. Not too sure if Parcells would trade Brown within the division, but it's interesting to keep up on.

Believe it or not, word around the grapevine (that being radio stations, newspapers, and general word of mouth) around these parts is that the Dolphins might dangle Brown as trade bait at some point during the offseason. Supposedly, they like what they have in Williams, Cobbs, and Hilliard. Not too sure if Parcells would trade Brown within the division, but it's interesting to keep up on.

I heard speculation on that too. I cant see Parcells ever sending him to a team within the division, but I would love to see Ronnie Brown in a Patriot uniform.

What's in a quote...?

One of Gailey's big selling points is supposed to be that he thinks you can win without stars in the NFL, and the Bills don't have many stars, so -- PRESTO! -- we have a perfect match. If you're a Bills fan, how much tequila would you have to drink before you even begin to believe that? It's as if the Bills said, "You believe in Pillsbury crescent rolls, and we happen to have some Pillsbury crescent-roll dough, so let's open a fancy restaurant in Manhattan."

After hiring 70-year-old GM, retread coach, Bills have little hope - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

Well right now as we stand on Jan 27th, the jets and miami are a tad bit better than us.. But the season starts on Sept , so there is alot of tweaking to be done... I think we need to ask this question in may...

I like how Jets fans were just happy to be in the AFC Championship game.

Using the word future in the NFL is very dangerous. Things change fast. Just simply assuming they're going to be in that position again (having a halftime lead in the AFC Championship game) is REAL positive thinking.

Last edited:
the jets got a free ride into the playoffs!

Well right now as we stand on Jan 27th, the jets and miami are a tad bit better than us.. But the season starts on Sept , so there is alot of tweaking to be done... I think we need to ask this question in may...

Again, how is a team that finished 7-9 better than the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back