PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My early perception, Patriots 3rd best in AFC East

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dolphins are in far worse position than the Pats. They have 4-5 starters on defense in their mid-30s and both Jason Taylor and Joey Porter may have played their last games as Dolphins. They have no receivers to speak of. Their o-line is worse than the Pats. Their wild cat gimmick is running its course. Yes, Chad Henne is promising, but they need to rebuild their defense and get a receiving corp. While Ricky Williams isn't getting any younger.

Besides, it is too early to be making predictions for next year. The Pats are in excellent position to be active in free agency while the Jets aren't. The Pats shore up several weaknesses and they are the clear favorites again.

As bad as it looks for the Hometown team, I cannot say that Miami or the Jests will be ahead of them at the end of next year.
They BOTH have WEAK QBs, they may get better(as expected) this year, but I hardly think they will be all-pro, and that guy has his hands on the ball more than anyone else by a longshot.

The Jets D is good, Miami has a young secondary, who is getting better.

The Pats need to have a good off season to compete for the title next year, but nothing tells me that the other 2 will mature enough to drop them to 3rd in their own division.

Maybe the Jets, but no way are the Phins better than the Patriots. Their defense has more holes than we do and I don't get this whole deification of Parcells. This is the same guy who drafted Pat White and Patrick Turner in the 2nd round and gave $30 million to Gibril Wilson, so let's not go the BB route and classify him as this infallbile genius. The phins have ? at center, NT, LB, S and CB (i know they were rookies but they were statistically among the worst in the division). Ronnie Brown will be 28/29 and is coming off another season ending injury and this is Ricky's last year, so I don't want to hear how they have an unstoppable running game. Having the worst WR corp in the division doesn't help either.

12 TDs / 14 INTs / 75.2 Rating

Henne was a beast last year.

Agreed. He played his best game vs the Pats so that is why I think Pats fans are so high on him. He is nothing more than an average QB. He isnt going to lose many games for the Dolphins, but he wont win any for them either.

Sanchez:15 games 196/364 = 53.8% 2,444yds 12TDs/ 20 INTs 63.0 Rating

JaMarcus Russell in his 2nd year, first full season as a starter.
15 games 198/368 = 53.8% 2,423 yds 13TDs/8INTs 77.1 Rating

Yes, it was Russell's 2nd year instead of his rookie campaign, but I'd also say that he did more with less than Sanchez, who had the league's best rushing attack and a good OL to play with, especially as compared to the Raiders of 08.

I guess these stats mean little if Sanchez really does make a leap forward next year. Anything's possible.

How come the Jets don't like Rhodes? Once upon a time they sang his praises.

What gives?

How come the Jets don't like Rhodes? Once upon a time they sang his praises.

What gives?

Because he doesn't like to hit. Because he is more active on his Twitter account than he is on the field. Because since he signed his last deal, he has been an underachiever.

Henne showed some promise this season, but many players have never lived up to their promise. I think Henne could be a good QB, but like Sanchez, he has a long way to go to be a strong asset for his team.

you hope they can build it up for one last run when Brady is 35. If they haven't let him go because he COSTS money. And the Krafts hate that.
Yeah. Kraft never spends to the cap. BB never gives phony NLTBE bonuses to guys like in order to shift unused money to the next year inorder to make sure they use all the money possible.

Tool.

Yeah. Kraft never spends to the cap. BB never gives phony NLTBE bonuses to guys like in order to shift unused money to the next year inorder to make sure they use all the money possible.

Tool.

Seriously, when did Kraft earn this reputation of being cheap? The guy is not afraid to spend money.

In recent years, he (or Belichick) has made both Seymour and Moss the highest paid players at their positions at the time they signed their contracts on a per year basis. They have never shortchanged Brady. No he didn't make as much as Manning did, but he didn't make that much less. The Pats paid market value for a marquee free agent like Adalius Thomas (unfortunately, he didn't play up to that billing). The Pats are always spending up to the cap give or take a few million for an emergency.

I have been saying, the Pats are going to spend money this offseason cap or no cap. They may not do crazy spending like everyone expects Daniel Snyder to do, but they have positioned themselves to be active free agency players this year and next.

Seriously, when did Kraft earn this reputation of being cheap? The guy is not afraid to spend money.

In recent years, he (or Belichick) has made both Seymour and Moss the highest paid players at their positions at the time they signed their contracts on a per year basis. They have never shortchanged Brady. No he didn't make as much as Manning did, but he didn't make that much less. The Pats paid market value for a marquee free agent like Adalius Thomas (unfortunately, he didn't play up to that billing). The Pats are always spending up to the cap give or take a few million for an emergency.

I have been saying, the Pats are going to spend money this offseason cap or no cap. They may not do crazy spending like everyone expects Daniel Snyder to do, but they have positioned themselves to be active free agency players this year and next.

It comes from the uneducated who have no sense of finance. Tell me who's spending more money (admittedly extreme example):

Person A spends $1 a piece on apples. He buys 53 of them.

Person B spends $27 on one incredibly good apple. Then buys 52 more crappy apples at 50 cents each.

Wow! Person B really likes to splurge on apples! He bought one for 27 dollars!

No, they both spent $53 dollars on 53 apples. One chose to have good apples top to bottom. One chose to go top heavy. Different strategy does not equal cheap.

I'll tell you, people really take Tom ****ing Brady for granted.

A****inmen. We will look back and these days and cry when BB is replaced by a ****ty coach and we have the likes of Henne over Brady. You'd think this team was way worse the way people talk around here.

Sanchez:15 games 196/364 = 53.8% 2,444yds 12TDs/ 20 INTs 63.0 Rating

JaMarcus Russell in his 2nd year, first full season as a starter.
15 games 198/368 = 53.8% 2,423 yds 13TDs/8INTs 77.1 Rating

Yes, it was Russell's 2nd year instead of his rookie campaign, but I'd also say that he did more with less than Sanchez, who had the league's best rushing attack and a good OL to play with, especially as compared to the Raiders of 08.

I guess these stats mean little if Sanchez really does make a leap forward next year. Anything's possible.

And Henne will probably turn out as good as the guys you mention. Sorry, but like the other dude said 12TD 14 INTs and people sell this guy off for some hot cakes.

What is so promising about the Dolphins? They have no identity(If you want to include a stupid gimmick play, sure), barely any play makers on offense. If the Pats are below that, we are in some serious trouble.

It comes from the uneducated who have no sense of finance. Tell me who's spending more money (admittedly extreme example):

Person A spends $1 a piece on apples. He buys 53 of them.

Person B spends $27 on one incredibly good apple. Then buys 52 more crappy apples at 50 cents each.

Wow! Person B really likes to splurge on apples! He bought one for 27 dollars!

No, they both spent $53 dollars on 53 apples. One chose to have good apples top to bottom. One chose to go top heavy. Different strategy does not equal cheap.

Here are some numbers:

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Moneyball, NFL style

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive More Moneyball (the economics of wins and losses)

The Patriots are #1 in cost per win, but only #10 in actual dollars spent. That doesn't really make them 'cheap' on the sliding scale, since they were still in the top half of the league in player spending, but they did spend over $150 million dollars less than the #1 spending team in the NFL from 2004-2008. The fan base proudly talks about players taking less to play for the Patriots. It's really no surprise that the negative people would spin that in a negative manner, just as it's no surprise that the homers spin "spending to the cap" into actual spending, when it's not.

Here are some numbers:

The Patriots are #1 in cost per win, but only #10 in actual dollars spent. That doesn't really make them 'cheap' on the sliding scale, since they were still in the top half of the league in player spending, but they did spend over $150 million dollars less than the #1 spending team in the NFL from 2004-2008. The fan base proudly talks about players taking less to play for the Patriots. It's really no surprise that the negative people would spin that in a negative manner, just as it's no surprise that the homers spin "spending to the cap" into actual spending, when it's not.

Oh man not this again, more isolated years to "prove" a fallacy.

It's like picking out the 1st 4 apples purchased in the above example and saying "see, team A spent $26 less on apples from 1-4"

Last edited:
Here are some numbers:

It is funny that the top 3 teams between 2004-2008 in terms of money spent have a combined playoff record of 4-9. The Texans were sixth and they didn't have a single winning season over those years. The Vikings were 5th and were 1-2 in the playoffs over those years. The Saints were 7th and had an 1-1 playoff record and went 8-8 in 2004, 3-13 in 2005, 7-9 in 2007, and 8-8 in 2008. Meanwhile the Pats had two playoff appearances and one win. The only teams that had close to the success the Pats had over that period during that time period and spent more were the Colts and Steelers.

I think we're 2nd at worst, but I believe they'll make enough improvements to win the division again and compete for a championship. We'll have a fully healthy Brady this year which is a big thing.

I know the Jets will be everyone's favorites to win the division but I'm not buying it yet. Nice roster, but none of them have proven anything in regards to sustained success. I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if they started hot but cooled off and stumbled to a .500 or slightly better record.

Miami...doesn't really scare me all that much. Mediocre QB, good running game, mediocre defense, decent coaching. I don't see them finishing ahead of the Pats.

Buffalo isn't even worth talking about.

It is funny that the top 3 teams between 2004-2008 in terms of money spent have a combined playoff record of 4-9. The Texans were sixth and they didn't have a single winning season over those years. The Vikings were 5th and were 1-2 in the playoffs over those years. The Saints were 7th and had an 1-1 playoff record and went 8-8 in 2004, 3-13 in 2005, 7-9 in 2007, and 8-8 in 2008. Meanwhile the Pats had two playoff appearances and one win. The only teams that had close to the success the Pats had over that period during that time period and spent more were the Colts and Steelers.

Dollars "spent" in any 4-5 year window is meaningless.

Last edited:
Oh man not this again, more isolated years to "prove" a fallacy.

It's like picking out the 1st 4 apples purchased in the above example and saying "see, team A spent $26 less on apples from 1-4"

Well, it is about as much as a recent historical trend considering it was during the time when the cap expanded exponentially. The last two years the Pats didn't spend as much, but it was because they were restricted with amortized bonuses from their spending years when they signed Brady, Moss, Seymour, Thomas, and a few other to big deals with big bonuses. The Pats have spent up to the cap nearly every year. They aren't like some of the smaller market teams that leave $5-10 million of cap space on the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back