PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

my dream pick at 21 look at the video

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's going to be a great corner for whoever drafts him.

He's one of the guys I'd love to see us take.

This draft is a little different because I really haven't locked in on one guy that I definately wanted the Patriots to draft in the 1st, there's probably about 10 different names I'd love to hear when the Pats are on the clock.

Go back and look at the tackling... first hit (shown three times,) he shies away from getting low and wrapping up the guy, sort of saying "look what I found," and flipping him by the thighs. Well, it worked... Second hit was a good whack, which you love to see... third hit was a shoestring tackle, where the trick was being in position but the tackle itself was about on the Roethlisburger level... great thing that he made it, but not what you'd call classic.

I see him using his arms, flailing at lower extremities, not wrapping up, not laying into a ballcarrier, etc. He almost looks like tackling the guy is just not his thing. I guess I don't see what you guys do in his tackling, though I will say he gets where he needs to be, which is the other half of the battle.

That said, the usual highlight reel stuff pertains. A bunch of interceptions, his best runbacks, etc., all against college level competition (originally said "and a small school at that," til I noticed some of the footage seems to be against USC.)

Sorry to whiz in the wheaties,

PFnV

Last edited:
well everyone considers him 1 of the most physical corners in the draft. i wouldnt mind him but i really wouldnt take ihm over Lawson or some other big need

I'm just going by that one reel guys... but hey you can look at that first hit 2 ways, either,

a) he found a way to flip the guy even though he was off balance himself or
b) he was off balance because he didn't launch at the midsection, wrap up, and eliminate the threat

Well, if we're playing draft gurus, we may as well scrutinize and argue about the tapes too...

(throwing a forkful of chinese food across the room at a junior scout.)

PFnV

Edited in: I just looked at nfl.com's grades on him - something like "not a sound fundamental tackler, but even when he shows bad form, he gets his man down." Of course, somebody else quoted a scout who called Cromartie a bad tackler, and nfl.com's pet scouts say he's great.

Last edited:
re

This same video has been posted about 5 times in the past two months (by the same person?). I'll say the same thing I said every time before.

It's a nice highlight clip, but I see him as a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounder. None of his defensive interceptions or tips were spectacular cover-wise, and as for his "big" tackles, I actually didn't think he was a fundamentally sound tackler. I think people just got caught up with his one big WWF-style tackle, and hyped him up. Also, I didn't think he'd be effective as an NFL returner.

He'll be okay/good, but he's not a 1st rounder. At the same time, I'm an idiot, so who knows I could be completely wrong.

PatsFanInVa said:
...he gets his man down

That's all that needs to be said. :)

I havnt heard yet about the second round but we took Lawson in the first and bloom with our second fourth

A solid 2nd or 3rd round with alittle help from BB Will make a solid DB

He certainly has some wiggle when he runs and some pop when he hits. I'd be OK with him but would prefer to look elsewhere and consider trading up from our #2 for Marshall.

Highlight reels are so ridiculously misleading. I'm sure you could create an awesome highlight reel of Samuel just from last year - the hit on Putzier, the INT for TD against Jax, the INT against the Broncos. Those are 3 that come to mind without even thinking about it. For the record, I'm not down on Samuel at all, I'm just pointing out the problem with highlight for the people who are down on Samuel and think we need a "shutdown" CB, then look at the highlights and start drooling.

It tells you something that they saw fit to show that same tackle 3 times. They showed one other one where he was in position, made a hit that left no doubt, and that was that - in other words, a good tackle. Then they showed one where he got where he was supposed to be and pretty much did a Roethlisburger tackle. And of course, the run-back and interception footage is great, but let's face it, everybody in the draft will have some of those clips. He didn't look like the second coming of Champ Bailey (who you'll recall was chased down cross-field by a tight end... God I loved the hustle and the hit on that play, even if it was meaningless! He was a couple of minutes of angle away from making that a touchback! Show me that on a highlight reel and ya got a job!)

PFnV

Most of those highlights came against sub-par competition, at least the first half (we're talking Utah State, Idaho, San Jose State). Then got some Boise State highlights which isn't bad, and finally some USC highlights (picks off Leinart in the end zone, shoestring tackles Bush). You can't really tell much from these videos, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes