PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My draft strategy after watching the combine

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, that is a terrible strategy, IMHO.

I would have little problem with Graham, depending on who's still available;
Why trade a draft pick for Cody, when Wilfork can be re-signed and those 2 picks used to address other needs, like WR, OL & DE?
I would have little problem with Gilyard, depending on which WR is still available;
Norwood is a poor fit here, at any LB position;
Why draft Hernandez, when Watson can be re-signed?
Petrus is strong, but can he pull, trap, set screens and play Center?
There should be more WRs available better than Sanders.

You're saying it's a terrible strategy, and yet I never said anything about not resigning Wilfork.

In addition, we're not giving up picks. We're moving up and dropping down: it's 1st and 3rd for 2 seconds.

I like Norwood, a lot. Why is he a poor fit? He's big and strong and fast with great ball skills. He lacks in the same areas that Bruschi and Ted Johnson lacked. So what?

Ben Watson is not getting resigned, according to almost all sources.

I had Sanders getting picked in the 5th or 6th rounds.

You do realize we only have 4 premium picks, right?

I couldn't even imagine Wilfork trying to play DE, you guys can't be serious.. can you? Either way, I think it's a bad sign if the Patriots draft Cody because it would most likely mean Brace is a lost cause.

Yes, I can. He played some DE this year.

With all due respect, that is a terrible strategy, IMHO.

Why draft Hernandez, when Watson can be re-signed?

Without commenting on the rest of the draft, I'm gonna go with "Because Watson sucks and Belichick isn't going to even be competitive with what some other team offers him, which will probably be Top 10 TE money, compared to entry-level draft pick money"

Seriously, this is like "Why draft Jared Odrick when Jarvis Green can be re-signed?"

You're saying it's a terrible strategy, and yet I never said anything about not resigning Wilfork.
If you re-sign Wilfork, then you don't need Cody. We still have Brace, unfortunately.

In addition, we're not giving up picks. We're moving up and dropping down: it's 1st and 3rd for 2 seconds.
As much as I'd love a 3rd-rounder (damn that Burgess trade), I think I'd rather have the 2 (earlier) 2nds than a late 1st & a late 3rd.

I like Norwood, a lot. Why is he a poor fit? He's big and strong and fast with great ball skills. He lacks in the same areas that Bruschi and Ted Johnson lacked. So what?
Norwood has never played ILB (IIRC), and is not big enough nor fast enough to play OLB here.

If we still had David Thomas, or had drafted Ben Patrick, then I'd have little problem with Watson leaving. But we don't, so why not keep someone that has familiarity with Brady? I'd be surprised if he's offered Dan Graham money anywhere.

I'd rather see if Marcus Easley or Riley Cooper is still available.

Yes; yes I do.

Without commenting on the rest of the draft, I'm gonna go with "Because Watson sucks and Belichick isn't going to even be competitive with what some other team offers him, which will probably be Top 10 TE money, compared to entry-level draft pick money"

Seriously, this is like "Why draft Jared Odrick when Jarvis Green can be re-signed?"

Except that I don't think the difference btwn Watson & Hernandez is as great as the difference btwn Odrick & Green, whom I do not want re-signed, exc. for vet minimum, if that.

Except that I don't think the difference btwn Watson & Hernandez is as great as the difference btwn Odrick & Green, whom I do not want re-signed, exc. for vet minimum, if that.

No, the difference between Watson and Hernandez isn't that great. Except to the folks in the payroll dept. One is going to get a 4 yr slotted 2nd-round rookie contract, and the other one is going to get a 4-6 year deal at Top-10 TE money as an unrestricted free agent.

So if you feel the talent level is similar, go with the guy who will be much much cheaper and is 7 or so years younger.

Yes; yes I do.
"Norwood has never played ILB (IIRC), and is not big enough nor fast enough to play OLB here."

Norwood has played all three LB positions and DE in South Carolina's 4-3. He'd be just fine as an OLB once he puts back the 10-15 lbs he lost to play 4-3 LB and is retaught to use his hands to stack & shed instead of that stupid duck and squat all USC LBs where using when UConn spanked them in their bowl game. He's not the physical ideal, but as a role player in a BB defense, he's got Bruschi-like potential for the future.

Is Watson really that overpriced??

How many new recievers is TB going to have to adjust to next year, his whole TE crew, plus how many more WR??

No, the difference between Watson and Hernandez isn't that great. Except to the folks in the payroll dept. One is going to get a 4 yr slotted 2nd-round rookie contract, and the other one is going to get a 4-6 year deal at Top-10 TE money as an unrestricted free agent.

So if you feel the talent level is similar, go with the guy who will be much much cheaper and is 7 or so years younger.

1) Why would anyone want to take the best NT in the NFL (or second best) and move him to DE? Is he really worth $8M a year at a DE?
2) I like Cody, but there is no place for him on the patriots now that Wilfork is re-signed. We have planty of backup inside in Brace. Pryor and Wright.

I smell what you're cooking; my rebuttal would be that money shouldn't be as much of a deal-breaker this year, and as sg14 wrote, how many diff. candidates will Brady have to acclimate into this complicated offense? I would prefer to re-sign Watson, find a young blocking TE as a late-rounder/UDFA, and use those 2nd-rounders on WRs, Maurkice Pouncey, LBs & DEs.

"Norwood has never played ILB (IIRC), and is not big enough nor fast enough to play OLB here."

Norwood has played all three LB positions and DE in South Carolina's 4-3. He'd be just fine as an OLB once he puts back the 10-15 lbs he lost to play 4-3 LB and is retaught to use his hands to stack & shed instead of that stupid duck and squat all USC LBs where using when UConn spanked them in their bowl game. He's not the physical ideal, but as a role player in a BB defense, he's got Bruschi-like potential for the future.

Maybe...but I'd still rather see what other LBs are avail. during the 2nd round.

1) Why would anyone want to take the best NT in the NFL (or second best) and move him to DE? Is he really worth $8M a year at a DE?
2) I like Cody, but there is no place for him on the patriots now that Wilfork is re-signed. We have planty of backup inside in Brace. Pryor and Wright.

My thoughts, too.

I smell what you're cooking; my rebuttal would be that money shouldn't be as much of a deal-breaker this year, and as sg14 wrote, how many diff. candidates will Brady have to acclimate into this complicated offense? I would prefer to re-sign Watson, find a young blocking TE as a late-rounder/UDFA, and use those 2nd-rounders on WRs, Maurkice Pouncey, LBs & DEs.

I'd point to Ben Watson's 29 or so receptions this year and ask how many fewer he would have had if Brady wasn't familiar with him. I'm not big on paying 250,000 a reception or whatever the math comes out to on a new deal. It's not like he's a big contributor if he's not catching passes.

Some vertical offense, or some coach on a short leash, is going to over-bid for him.

And frankly, if the Patriots were top bidder, I'm not sure Watson would want to come back.

Why did BB draft Watson when he already had Graham on the roster?

4-3 or 3-4 needs big guys up front. Not sold on Pryor or Brace being able to play the 3-4, but I know Mt.Cody and Wilfork can.

I'd point to Ben Watson's 29 or so receptions this year and ask how many fewer he would have had if Brady wasn't familiar with him. I'm not big on paying 250,000 a reception or whatever the math comes out to on a new deal. It's not like he's a big contributor if he's not catching passes.

Some vertical offense, or some coach on a short leash, is going to over-bid for him.

And frankly, if the Patriots were top bidder, I'm not sure Watson would want to come back.

I've never been a member of the Bumblin' Bennie Fan Club either, but...what would you do about the TE situation?

First of all, How can you compare Norwood to both Tedy Bruschi and Ted Johnson and say that Norwood lacks in the areas that they lacked in . Bruschi and Johnson were very different players. Bruschi was not great against the run whereas Ted Johnson could easily shed the guards and make the stops.

I'll admit that I've not focused on Norwood except for the Senior Bowl. But, he didn't shine there. In fact, he was pretty much invisible.

One of the biggest issues with Norwood is his pass coverage. Getting his 10 and 20 times as well as his 20 shuttle and 3 cone will have a lot to do with whether or not he could actually fill in as the SILB.

While Watson may not be re-signed, the Pats probably won't be taking a TE until the 4th round. Not with DE, OLB, ILB, WR, and OG/OC being bigger issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back