PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My crazy thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomdomb

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
1. Why did the pats run so much in the first half. My first thought was that the Colts practiced all week for the pass. The running was rather successful but Maroney getting only nine carries worries me.

2. Were we holding back on offense. I know Brady didn't have much time to throw, but on a couple of drives he just followed Moss across/up the field and launched at him. I noticed open receivers on many of those plays and Brady still fired it to Moss. What happened to throwing to the open guy. Is it possible the Pats are setting the Colts up for the next game. They will totally overplay Moss and Brady will spread it around like he normally does? Just thought it odd to see so many balls go to the same guy many times in traffic.

3. Did we hold back on using AT? He is average at best as a pass rusher with his hand down. I would much rather have seen him replace cement shoes Bruschi in the middle. Do we go back to the normal the 3-4 in the next meeting with the Colts and use AT like we have seen him being used all year? Did Beli not want to let the cat out of the bag yet?

Just a couple of thoughts.

No doubt if we play the Colts again we won't use the same gameplan but I don't think we did some of the things we did today thinking that "if we meet them down the road they won't expect this or that."

Brady was just forcing it to Moss, especially in the first half when he was under pressure a lot.

As for Maroney... well... I dunno. He runs really well when we do run him, but we just don't run him enough. Maybe it's gameplan, maybe they're trying to protect him.

The 4 - 2 - 5 we used worked pretty well. Clark had one reception but the drawback was letting Addai go crazy cause there were only two LBs out there. Then we used our LBs with more pass rushing skills on the DL to get a pass rush.

I really liked Maroney when we drafted him, thought he was gonna be a superstar. I'm not so sure right now. He doesn't seem like a guy who can run 25-30 times a game like Joseph Addai or Lendale White, two guys drafted after Maroney. He seems like Reggie Bush-lite. He doesn't seem like he has that burst I noticed in college, nor that hard running style of his early rookie season. I guess injuries have taken their toll, and we should wait until he calims himself 100% healthy. Usually RB's blossom their second year, and I believe Maroney is running at 4.6 yards a clip, which is excellent, but I thought he'd be a true #1 back by now, I just don't see it. His draftmates Addai and White have surpassed him in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love Maroney, and I hope he becomes what I thought he would be, but I am getting worried.

I dunno if I'd want Maroney taking it 25 times a game. I'd think a good 20 times a game would be good but we should involve him more in the passing game I think.

for sum reason BB or McDaniels just does not want to run him...not sure why...

he did great the last games he played since week 3...and then, well, we stopped using him...he is a power back, and we could use some power running plays, i think we should use him much like Indy uses Addai, they are close to the same runner, Maroney will just not be as shifty and go into contact a little more...but really...its time to start using him

i think the only reason we arnt is b/c hes not 100% yet, but i sure hope he gets there VERY soon

The pats don't need to run him 20-25 times per game. The team is averaging what, 35 ppg right now? Why don't we take it on faith that they know what they're doing for a little while. I'm sure BB has thought out the ramifications of what he's doing now for the rest of the season. If he hadn't, he wouldn't be the best coach in the history of the NFL (which he is).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots