PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My concerns about this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't sleep last night and my thoughts turned to the big game Monday night. I would like some opinions from the board on these points.

1. Tom Brady has had trouble with the Ryan's brothers' defenses. With the Jets it's even tougher because of the talent. They can play man to man on the outside and then the rest of the D mills about so Tom can't figure out pre-snap what they are going to do. Ravens, Jets and now the Browns have given him fits. Can he figure it out like Peyton did last year in the playoffs? Peyton got better as that game wore on. Tom seems to get worse like in game 1 this year.

2. Jets running game. Still one of the best in the league. Pats missing Ty Warren, Mike Wright and Pryor. Can they shut the run down? Can they stop a 1-2 punch of Greene and a vengeful LdT. I realize the game plan against Detroit was to stop the pass but they sure gave up some yards last week on the ground. If they need to bring a safety up to stop the run doesn't that leave Arrington 1 on 1 with Edwards?? Which leads to the next concern.

3. Our smurf corners against 2 excellent wide-outs. Edwards made Butler his beatch in week 2. Will Arrington have a better time on Monday? Can McCourty defend the big play?

4. The elephant in the room that NOBODY on this board has addressed yet. Our lack of a kicker that can boom it into the EZ. The Pats are kicking to the 5 or so and letting the return team get some steam before getting down there to make a play. I see this as an issue with Cromartie returning punts. Can they contain him? Can the kicker be counted on to make a FG longer than 30-yards in a tight game? I have been unimpressed with Graham and the ST's the past several weeks.

Anyway I am not trying to be a negative nanny year, but thought I would throw out what is worrying me about this game. Comments constructive or otherwise are welcome.

Go Pats!

Cromartie does not nor has he ever returned punts. Brad Smith returns kickoffs and since Leonhard is out either Cotchery or Kyle Wilson return punts. Brad Smith is the one to be worried about. The other two have not been anything special.

Anyone not concerned about tonight's game isn't paying attention or is more about bravado than sense.

This is a game to be concerned about, and the stakes are about as high as they can get in the regular season.

Neither of these teams is perfect by any means. But each has shown amazing resillliency. They each continue to win despite their imperfections, and in that respect they are very similar. I think ultimately this game will come down to turnovers. I don't think Patriots can lose the turnover battle and win the game. I also think the Jets are bit more constructed to force turnovers than are the Patriots. We'll see. I'm not expecting a blow out either way.

The Jets have been building for this game for a long long time, and Ryan knows it and is working that angle. They will be redlined in terms of intensity. Sometimes, that can carry you to a win. Other times, it can leave you burned out on the field. I think ultimately it will come down to a play or two late deciding the game.

I do think the Jets have more to lose tonight. But that doesn't leave me with very much consolation if we lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back