Welcome to PatsFans.com

My brush with insignificant fame

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by 3 to be 4, Aug 12, 2006.

1. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

While shopping with my kids at the Price Chopper in Olathe,Kansas, the kid that worked there saw my Patriots jersey and told me he was good friends with Laurance Maroney and played QB on their HS team at Normandy High in St Louis. He seemed believable. He described Maroney as a great person. He himself wasnt much of a football player and hes trying to get into Kansas State.
    Hes a very nice kid and I believe him. Kind of a cool connection to Patriotland.
  2. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 2 / -1

Disable Jersey

If Maroney is as talented as he seems to be and his friends keep him level and centered, he could have a great career. I hope so for his and the Patriots' sake.
  3. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +174 / 76 / -62

#87 Jersey

Cool story. I remember reading a story about his childhood/high school years, and it said that he was a very grounded young man, No Maurice Clarett here.
  4. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Olathe huh? You get to Lawrence much? Man I love that town!!
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  5. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

What is there to do in Lawrence?
  6. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

no ,just moved here in March. But my aunt told me Lawrence has awesome steakhouses.
  7. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Just about everything you would do in a much bigger city. No malls at all which is really cool, all of the shopping is in the downtown area. Lawrence is also known pretty well for it's music scene.
  8. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Don's Steak house is really good. It's right on 23rd. as you're coming into Lawrence on K10. It's on the north side of the road and if I remember right it has a huge cow on the roof so it shouldn't be too hard to miss. Also, go to Yello Sub, it's just a little further down on 23rd, they have awesome sandwiches. It's easily my favorite place to eat in the entire state.
  9. Brady-To-Branch

Brady-To-Branch Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 11 / -1

There's several Price Chopper locations in central MA, but none in the Boston/RI areas. I didn't know that they were that big, nationally.
  10. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Lawrence can be a blast, I've enjoyed it a few times. Got an uncle in Lawrence and an aunt in Olathe. :)
  11. holyredeemer

holyredeemer Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I know I am jumping on this thread a little late, so I apologize. About 1998 I was shopping with my mother at Mervyns in Redding, California. I was extremely embarassed as she led me through the lingerie section. I really wanted to leave, so I followed her around the place bugging the **** out of her. Didnt work. Anyways, I was wearing my Bledsoe jersey when this really great looking girl, who who was hanging up panties approached me. I thought to myself, "Dude, I am getting hit on by a girl who sells sexy panties. SWEET!" But no, she didn't hit on me, it was much better than that. She told me that she is the first cousin of Adam V. To boot, she Knew alot about the Pats organization and we talked for about 20 minutes. It was awesome.:) Sorry, I just had to share that story, i'll never forget it. Also, a close friend of mine is working we a supposed ex-pats player named John Duffy. I have looked up his name on internet, but havent found any info out. He said he played o-line in the 70's. Any of you old gents know the name?
  12. goldy

goldy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I go to Minnesota, and I was (still am..) friends with Laurence when he was here. I just wanted to let you know that you are not dealing with a Clarett character here, he is humble and well-grounded. He knows the opportunity that he has been given and isn't going to screw it up. You got a good one, I'll be cheering for him this year.