PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint For the Pats

It may or may not be the year to take a flyer on a wide receiver. My vote is almost always "no".

This isn't directed solely at you. It seems the opinion of many posters. Why the aversion to drafting a wr with a first? I submit the following champions. I don't want to go Matt Millen and draft em every year. But, as the evidence shows. Targeting and drafting one can help you win a championship.

72-73 Dolphins - Traded a 1st 3rd overall for Paul Warfield.
70'S Steelers - Drafted Lynn Swann 21st overall in 74 and won 4 of next 6.
82-91 Redskins - 3X Champs had Art Monk a 1st Rounder in 1980 18th overall.
88-94 49'ers - Traded up with our Pats in 85 after already winning 2 Super Bowls
and drafted Jerry Rice. Won 3 more.
90's Cowboys - Michael Irvin 88 and Alvin Harper 91 were 1st Rounders. Won 3.
99 Rams - Drafted Tory Holt in the first.
06 Colts - Marvin Harrison 96 and Reggie Wayne in 01.
08 Steelers - Santonio Holmes is a major douche bag. But, he did help them win
a Super Bowl.
11 NYG - Hakeem Nicks in 2009.

I know you have all been dying for this.... so here it is. My heat map for the Patriots roster (before free agency or the draft)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApWRaF25BKdAdHV6ZXlIMnNBQ3FNQXNhc0IweWJ6bUE&usp=sharing

As expected, weakness at WR, Oline and the secondary. Quality depth would not be turned away from any position.

Blueprint (subject to change)

Before free agency
1) Sign Edelman - Provides a poor mans version of Welker and an impact special teams player at a reasonable price point
2) Try to sign Vollmer - Provides long-term stability at tackle

3) Let Welker and Talib go to free agency

Free Agency
4) Mid to low range targets - Outside WR, OT
5) If money will be spent, spend it on the secondary

Draft
6) Take BPA from the following positions OT, CB, S (unless a steal emerges)

I think we need to roll with Edelman and hope he can give us 80% of Welker's production at 25% of the cost.

Hope in one hand, **** in the other and see which gets filled first.

with the news that the pats are relunctant of giving talib a multi year deal what about johnathan banks from miss state hes 6 2 had 16 int's through his collegiate career and was an all american hes dropped recently in many mocks not having him in the first round i would definitely take him at 29 if he was available

I think [Salas is] a free agent.

I don't think he is. It seems that his rookie contract obligations still apply, because he was claimed by Philly,
not signed as a UFA by them.

Otherwise, I agree with you that I would like to have him back here for OTAs & TC.

1. I'm not seeing the prevailing sentiment that OL should be one of our bigger needs, especially OG. Given the light number of picks we have this year, I wouldn't be happy to see us use one of the top 3 picks on a offensive lineman. Even if Volmer walks, BB and Scar have invested a lot of time on McDonald and Zusevics. I would THINK that in their 3rd year in the system they would offer as much as we would suspect from any rookie.

McDonald may be a 3rd year guy, but he fell behind Donald Thomas, which wasn't a good thing. Zusevics was a rookie this year. I think you are thinking of Matt Kopa who was signed away by another team (Eagles?). In the long run, it's going to be harder to keep Vollmer than Welker. As some people have pointed out, there will probably be a team (KC) who gives him LT money. The Pats aren't likely to do that. Not with his injury history.

2. I HAVE a dream. And I can't seem to get it out of my head. So in order to make this dream come true I'm going to have to sacrifice a little on the offense and go with Heat's maxim of signing Edelman and let Welker walk and hope we can get 80% of his production at 20% of the cost. THEN we can afford to re-sign Volmer and I get to have my dream come true and see a Connolly, Cannon, Volmer Gronk right side, which will have DL's begging for mercy in the run game.

From the fan perspective, Connolly's best position is center. I think the team kept Wendell there for continuity purposes once Connolly returned from being injured. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I could see the Pats moving Connolly to Center, Cannon playing either RG or RT, a draft pick playing the other position that Cannon isn't in.

3. Position wise, those top 3 picks should be used exclusively on the DL, DB, ,and WR in no particular order.

I'll agree with you on DB and WR. I don't agree about the DL. That is, of course, unless BB has settled on going back to the 3-4 as their full-time base. And he could do that given the addition of Armstead. Of course, that would also depend on Belichick being happy having Deaderick as the full-time LDE. If that isn't the case, then they'll stick with the 4-3 and they have plenty of D-linemen. Going into camp they'll have Wilfork, Love, Deaderick, Forston, Pryor, Armstead and Robertson for DT. At DE, they'll have Jones, Ninkovich, Francis and Cunningham. They could also have Vega if he's released from his CFL contract.

With Fletcher and Tarpinian added to Hightower, Mayo, and Spikes, the Pats have a pretty solid LB corps for the 4-3, though it's not spectacular and they would have to run Spikes and Hightower off in favor or Fletcher for coverage, unless they added someone.

I think that they do need to add a CB because I don't see Arrington being retained. He wasn't all that on special teams this year and he's been declining as a CB unless he's playing press in the STAR position.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats add a taller safety. Someone who might be able to cover the taller TEs. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats sign a ton of UDFA to realy put the pressure on the fringe players like Pryor, Wendell, McDonald, Ebert, Tarpinian, Danny Aiken. I wouldn't be surprised if 3-4 of the UDFA were WRs..

Someone who is supposedly a free agent is Patrick Edwards. He is coming off a knee injury and it would be interesting to see how he does. He's a kid that was very similar to Welker in that he forced his way onto the UH team and became one of their best players. Yes, he'll have to be given a physical to see how his knee is, but He could be a very inexpensive option that could pay big dividends.

The way I look at this off-season. We have 6 areas I'd really like to upgrade if we lose; Welker, Talib and Vollmer. We have our cap space and top 2 picks. Hate to count on a 3rd rounder to do anything. Maybe, we get a pick for Mallett. Who knows?

My priorities in order

1. CB - If not talib, a veteran is a requirement. Not a need. DRC, Brent Grimes, Cary Williams or Sean Smith. Just don't trust our scouting to pick one in the first.

2. WR - If not White Wes, need a number one. My preference would be to trade for Percy Harvin. Maybe, Boldin if he's cut. Greg Jennings would be my 2nd preference. I'm not as big on Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe as others. Neither is sure handed. I view Hartline as a complimentary receiver. Not a go to guy. Amendola too injury prone.

My next two positions are SS and T. Can't spend big bucks here because I did on cb and wr. Maybe a 1st rounder and a vet that won't break the bank. Heck, Baltimore got good ol play with the corpse of Bryant McKinnie at RT.

3. SS - Kenny Vaccaro - Texas - I'd rather go pass rusher in the first. But, safety is too big of a need to pass up. Maybe, Matt Elam - Florida or Eric Reid - LSU. If we have multiple 2nd's because of Mallett trade and trade backs. Cyprien from Richmond is a possibility. I'm not as hung up on getting a thumper as many others. The game is played in space. Thumpers make an impact against us because we throw inside the hashes more than any other team. If I were defending the Pats, I'd want one. Most of the teams we will have to beat throw outside the numbers. Pats drafted the ideal SS for today's game 33 years ago!! Roland James. A college cb who ran track. Couldn't beat out Mike Haynes and Ray Clayborn. We moved him to safety. I can be talked out of Vaccarro. Hard position to scout on tv and youtube. I do value the position though.

4. RT - I'm giving Marcus Cannon first crack at it. But, would like a veteran to back him up. Just in case it doesn't work out. Maybe, Scar can get his mitts on someone like Jason Smith after the Jets cut him and work with him. Should come pretty cheap. We had a great offense in 04 with Ashworth and in 07 with Nick Kaczur. A guy like Brian Winters in the 3rd should ease concerns.

Next two spots are for areas I'd like to get production out of. But, not at the expense of the first four areas.

5. Pass Rush - I'm hoping Armond Armstead can play the 3-tech in our nickel. Love can man the fort on 1st down. Need pressure up the middle. My hope would be to get a guy like Datone Jones - UCLA or Ziggy Ansah in the first. But, have other holes to fill. We do have a lot of young de's. Maybe, one steps up opposite Chandler Jones. Unless we get that 6pick for Mallett, I doubt we have the ammo to fill this slot.

6. Developmental WR - I'm using my 2nd rounder here. Maybe he can produce right away. Two guys the board has talked about a lot would be my preferences. Quinton Patton or Markus Wheaton.

Free Agents
DRC - CB
Greg Jennings - WR
Jason Smith - T

Draft
1. Kenny Vaccarro - S - Texas
2. Quinton Patton - wr - La Tech
3. Brian Winters - OL - Kent St

Hope we have enough to keep Edelman and D. Thomas on offense. Cutting Fells and re-upping Hooman and Ballard. That should wash out. On defense, letting scott and chung walk. Would love to get a veteran olb who is good against the pass. Re-upping M. Cole and K. Arrington if cheap enough.

Not as good as I'd like to be at cb or de on defense. Praying Ras-I Dowling can stay healthy. He's due isn't he? Hoping a guy like Francis, Bequette or Cunningham can spell Ninko. Would like to cut down on Ninko's and Vince's snaps. They play too much IMO. Area of concern on offense is the OL. But, if we sign a cheap vet and get a decent one in the 3rd. That might not be a problem.

Hope we have enough to keep Edelman and D. Thomas on offense. Cutting Fells and re-upping Hooman and Ballard. That should wash out. On defense, letting scott and chung walk. Would love to get a veteran olb who is good against the pass. Re-upping M. Cole and K. Arrington if cheap enough.

Not as good as I'd like to be at cb or de on defense. Praying Ras-I Dowling can stay healthy. He's due isn't he? Hoping a guy like Francis, Bequette or Cunningham can spell Ninko. Would like to cut down on Ninko's and Vince's snaps. They play too much IMO. Area of concern on offense is the OL. But, if we sign a cheap vet and get a decent one in the 3rd. That might not be a problem.

Why are you under the impression that Ballard is a free agent? He spent the entire year on the PUP. Because of that, his contract was not tolled, so he is under contract for the Pats next year. As is Myron Pryor. This has been talked about ad nauseum in a half dozen different threads. Some of which you have posted in.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back