PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint For the Pats

You don't have to comment, it's just nice to get some feedback is all.

In the Mallett thread, I suggested using the #6 on Fisher, not re-signing Vollmer and switching Solder to the right side. Where would you stand on that out of interest?

Aside from the fact that I view Mallett for #6 as pretty much a pipe dream, it would be something to consider. Fisher is definitely a talent, and Solder played well on the right side in 2011. I tend to think that Solder's better suited for the left side with his athleticism and that both of those guys are more left tackles, and it may also be hard to keep both of them once Solder's rookie deal is up. But that would be a very talented pair, without a doubt.

40. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia. 5'9" 175#. Currently NFL DraftScout #30.

Tavon.jpg

60. Justin Hunter, WR, Louisiana Tech. 6'4" 200#. Currently NFL DraftScout #66.

Justin-Hunter.jpg

This pick could also be Marcus Wheaton, Quinton Patton or Da'Rick Rogers.

agree-nod.gif

Hartline and Phillips would be monsters here, lions even. Especially Hartline, he's a separation machine. He might be undervalued only because he lacks of top speed of a cheetah.

I think I'd rather go for the other receivers you listed over Hunter, but that's a nitpick. By the way, on the 56 man roster at the bottom you have Patton listed over Hunter. A Freudian slip perhaps? ;)

I'd like to see would happen if you didn't trade into next year.

Hartline and Phillips would be monsters here, lions even. Especially Hartline, he's a separation machine. He might be undervalued only because he lacks of top speed of a cheetah.

I think I'd rather go for the other receivers you listed over Hunter, but that's a nitpick. By the way, on the 56 man roster at the bottom you have Patton listed over Hunter. A Freudian slip perhaps? ;)

I'd like to see would happen if you didn't trade into next year.

I had Patton originally and then changed it to Hunter - partly just to shake things up, since there's been a fair amount of Patton love on this board, and partly because I like Hunter's size (6'4") and physicality. As I've said, it's more a placeholder for "WR" right now, because a bunch of guys are clustered in that range, and we'll have to see how they separate out over the next 3 months.

I thought getting a 2014 1st was more valuable than taking a player at 16, or getting 2 2nds. At 16 we might be able to get someone like Johnathan Hankins. Or we could trade back and maybe get a 2013 3rd that we could flip into 2014, and get someone like Alec Ogletree or Dion Jordan. A ssafety like Elam or Vaccaro would be attractive if we didn't sign a FA like Kenny Phillips. Lots of options.

If they could sign Hartline and someone like Brandon Gibson, while drafting Tavon Austin and Quinton Patton or Da'Rick Rogers. That would be very ideal to me. This means Welker and Edelman are gone.

I know some will say Brandon Gibson, really? But he's an improvement over Edelman with the fact that he has had consistent productivity and has stayed healthy. McDaniels has some familiarity with him. Pats would have punt return guys in Demps and Austin, so with Welker and Edelman gone it may actually be upgrading in that department.

It would definitely be cheaper to sign Hartline and Gibson then it would Welker and Edelman

Pats 2012 receiver depth chart
Welker, Lloyd, Edelman, Branch/Stallworth/whoever

Pats 2013 receiver depth chart
Lloyd, Hartline, Gibson, Austin, Patton/Rogers

if we sign Glenn Dorsey i would say there is no need for a dt in the draft this year right. I also like signing Brian Hartline. He's tall and he's fast then we could draft Quinton Patton :D How likely do you guys think the trades of mallett for the 6th overall pick and our 1st round pick to buffalo for a 2nd and 3rd (so they can get wilson/nassib)

if we sign Glenn Dorsey i would say there is no need for a dt in the draft this year right. I also like signing Brian Hartline. He's tall and he's fast then we could draft Quinton Patton :D How likely do you guys think the trades of mallett for the 6th overall pick and our 1st round pick to buffalo for a 2nd and 3rd (so they can get wilson/nassib)

I'm hoping Buffalo stakes their claim with one of these crappy qb's. Helps us two ways. Gives us an extra pick. Let's us beat up on a team without a qb.

If they could sign Hartline and someone like Brandon Gibson, while drafting Tavon Austin and Quinton Patton or Da'Rick Rogers. That would be very ideal to me. This means Welker and Edelman are gone.

I know some will say Brandon Gibson, really? But he's an improvement over Edelman with the fact that he has had consistent productivity and has stayed healthy. McDaniels has some familiarity with him. Pats would have punt return guys in Demps and Austin, so with Welker and Edelman gone it may actually be upgrading in that department.

It would definitely be cheaper to sign Hartline and Gibson then it would Welker and Edelman

Pats 2012 receiver depth chart
Welker, Lloyd, Edelman, Branch/Stallworth/whoever

Pats 2013 receiver depth chart
Lloyd, Hartline, Gibson, Austin, Patton/Rogers

Not sure how it's an improvement in punt return.

IIRC, Edelman is actually one of the best punt returners in the game.

I would be happy if they could trade Mallett for a 3rd and 4th. Although if a trade were like to happen (which it never would) Pats are going to want at least the Bills 1st and 3rd. You usually don't move in the top half of the draft without giving up your 1st. Although Bill would probably get the 2nd instead of the 3rd because the Cardinals who desperately need a QB are sitting a pick ahead of the Bills and can't chance it that they haven't targeted the same guy.

Just smoked some crack so here's my roster for 2013

Key Acquisitions: Greg Jennings, Darrell Revis, Armstead
Draft picks: Tavon Austin, Strong Safety prospect, RT Prospect
Key Losses: Vollmer, Welker, Chung
Contributers returning from injury: Ballard, Demps, Fletcher, Dowling

Bold= starter

Roster: Offense 24
QB: Brady, Developmental Rookie(2)
RB: Ridley, Vereen, Demps, Bolden(4)
WR: Jennigns, Austin, Edleman, Lloyd, Slater, Vet(6)
TE: Gronkowski, Hernandez, Ballard, Hooman (4)
T: Soldier, Cannon, Developmental prospect, Vet (4)
G: Mankins, Connoly, Mcdonald (3)
C: Wendell (1)

Defense: 24
DE: Jones, Ninkovich,Bequette, Cunningham, Francis, Rookie (6)
DT: Wilfork, Armstead, Love, Pryor, Rookie(5)
LB:Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Fletcher, Rookie (5)
CB:Revis, Dennard, Dowling, Vet, (4)
S: McCourty, Rookie, Wilson, Vet (4)

K: Gost, Mesko, Aiken, White, Rivera (5)
PR: Edleman
KR: Demps
/Pipe dream roster​

Time to revise this "blueprint" based on the playoff woes of the 2010-2012 Patriots:

Priorities:

1. Fix the secondary, including getting more physical at CB to play press-man coverage, with physical safety play that doesn't sacrifice coverage ability

2. Get more physical on both lines, including the ability to run the ball in short yardage situations effectively, and to generate more effective pressure with a 4 man front

3. Get bigger, more physical and also faster at WR with the capability to stretch the field and to work the field outside as well as in the middle, and also to match up with big DBs and physical teams. More explosiveness would also be useful - the Pats' offense has been very efficient, but not particularly big play

4. Address the fact that we constantly get shredded by RBs and TEs

5. Find an eventual true successor to TB

The Next 3 Months:

1. The secondary:

- Re-sign Aqib Talib if possible (under $7M/year). Continuity is good, but don't break the bank. If Talib can't be re-signed, Keenan Lewis would be a good alternative

- Re-sign Kyle Arrington if cheap (under $1.5M/year). Marquice Cole could be re-signed as well, or as a cheaper alternative to Arrington, with a nickel/slot CB picked up in the draft

- Assess whether Ras-I Dowling is likely to make a full recovery in 2013, and whether he fits better as a press-man CB or as a hybrid CB/S

- Keep Devin McCourty at FS and don't move him around

- Sign UFA FA SS Kenny Phillips. He would provide the physical safety complement to McCourty that we need, while still being good in coverage and not compromising the deep threat

- Let Patrick Chung walk

2. The DL:

- Armond Armstead has already been signed. The Pats' still have Myron Pryor's rights for 2013, and Marcus Forston has been promoted from the PS. Those 3 alone will be a significant infusion of talent on the DL.

3. The OL:

- Re-sign Sebastian Vollmer if it can be done for reasonable cost (under $6M/year), and hopefully Donald Thomas. If the Pats' can't sign Vollmer to a reasonable deal, they might consider using the franchise or transition tag on him. The franchise tag is estimated at $9.66M, the transition tag at $8.56M. Not my preferred route, but it might allow the Pats to keep Vollmer for another year while developing other options.

4. The WRs and RBs:

- Let Wes Welker walk and sign UFA FA Brian Hartline. It hurts, but the difference in money might free up enough to pick up someone like Kenny Phillips.

- Re-sign Julian Edelman and Danny Woodhead.

5. Miscellaneous:

- Possible extensions for Brady and Wilfork that might free up some cap space

- Sign RFAs Dane Fletcher, Jake Ballard and Michael Hoomanwanui. Tracy White is a possibility, but is a lesser priority.

- Possibly sign a veteran QB like Matt Cassel or Brian Hoyer, if the price is right

The Draft:

*** Trade: Cleveland trades #6 to St. Louis for #16 and 22. Rams trade up for Eric Fisher. Not a trade directly involving the Pats, but ...

*** Trade: Cleveland trades #16 to New England for QB Ryan Mallett. A last minute draft day trade, with the Browns deciding they don't like the available QB options. They still have a 1st round pick at #22.

*** Trade: New England trades #16 to Tennessee for #40 and their 2014 1st round pick. Bud Adams is impatient, and wants to get better now.

29. DJ Fluker, OL, Alabama. 6'5" 350. Currently NFL DraftScout #28.

J+Fluker+Kent+State+v+Alabama+C3lrwq8yFV5l.jpg

Beast!
Fluker plays RT for Alabama, but would probably move inside to RG, with Dan Connolly moving to center. An OL of Solder-Mankins-Connolly-Fluker-Vollmer would be incredibly powerful. Fluker has the power of Chance Warmack, but he is nimble footed enough to get out in space. He also has incredibly long arms, and the versatility to move to RT in a pinch.

Tavon.jpg

Stud Greyhound!
It's evident that the Pats' offense needs more of a speed threat at WR. Austin would be a Percy Harvin/DeSean Jackson kind of weapon: a dynamic speedster who can get separation and accelerate on a dime and take it to the house at any time. Guys like Austin and Jeff Demps could be great weapons in the Pats' up-tempo offense, especially given the blocking TEs and the power running game to balance things out. If defenses go big to try and stop the TEs and the running game then the Pats can shred them with speed.

After the West Virginia-Texas game Bucky Brooks wrote:

West Virginia's Geno Smith shows poise of NFL quarterback - NFL.com

Austin would immediately provide a lot of what the Pats' got from Welker, plus more explosiveness and versatility. Couple him with a couple of bigger outside receivers, and the WR group would look much different.

60. Justin Hunter, WR, Louisiana Tech. 6'4" 200#. Currently NFL DraftScout #66.

Justin-Hunter.jpg

Stud Horse!
Hunter is the kind of big, physical WR that the Pats have lacked for a long time. Along with Brian Hartline, he would give the Pats' WR corps a very different look from what they have had over the past 3 years. They would still have the TEs and the move-based weapons (though with much more explosiveness), but also legitimate outside receiving threats who can move the chains and work the sidelines in Hunter and Hartline. Hunter would also be an excellent red zone threat.

*** Trade: Pats trade #91 and #218 to Cleveland for #101 and #132.

101. Menelik Watson, OT, Florida St. 6'6" 320#. Currently NFL DraftScout #95.

MW+1.jpg

Sleeper Beast!
Reid Fragel would also be an option. Either one has a ton of athleticism and upside, and could conceivably be a starting RT in 2014 after a year under Scar's tutelage. I've listed Watson because he is more physical and powerful, and paired with DJ Fluker would give the Pats an incredibly brutal right sided tandem for the future. He's raw as hell, but he's only been playing football for 18 months. Give him another 18 months in Dante's Dancing Academy, and he could be something.

*** Trade: Pats trade #132 and 202 to Minnesota for #149 and 166.

149. Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU. 5'9" 178#. Currently NFL DraftScout #181.

tyrann-mathieu-opy0-74311.jpg

Fallen Beast!
If he lasts this long, this is where I would take a flier on a scrappy player like the Honey Bader. We could use some toughness in our secondary. I'm tired of being soft. We need a few thugs in our secondary. This is an about-face for me, but right now, I want some bad asses who will take some shots and send some messages.

Mathieu is undersized and doesn't have elite man coverage skills. But he is a heat seeking missile and ball hawk par extraordinaire who can be moved all around the secondary to create disruption. He's a big risk without a true position and multiple off field issues leading to his dismissal from LSU, but right now we need someone like him. He could excel in a nickel back/slot kind of role.

166. William Campbell, DT, Michigan. 6'5" 318#. Currently NFL DraftScout #202.

hi-res-124665868_crop_650x440.jpg

Sleeper Beast!
Campbell has Michael Brokers/Akiem Hicks size and athleticism, with great strength, and enough quickness and explosiveness to play point guard in basketball games. He also played offensive line for a season for Michigan.

Note that the Pats would have an extra 2014 1st round pick, in addition to their full complement of draft picks.

The 2013 Team:

QB(2): Brady, veteran/Kafka
RB(5): Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, Bolden, Demps
FB(0-1): [Fiammetta/Larsen/Develin]
TE(4): Gronkowski, Hernandez, Ballard, Hoomanawanui
WR(6): Hartline, Lloyd, Austin, Patton, Edelman, Slater
OT(4): Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Watson
OG/C(5): Mankins, Fluker, Connolly, Wendell, Thomas/McDonald/Zukevics

DT(5): Wilfork, [Armstead], Love, Deaderick, Pryor/Forston, Campbell
DE(6): Jones, Ninkovich, Armstead, Cunningham, Francis, Bequette
LB(5): Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Fletcher, White/Tarpinian
S(5): McCourty, Phillips, Gregory, Wilson, Ebner
CB(5): Talib/Lewis, Dennard, Dowling, Arrington, Mathieu

ST(3): Gostkowksi, Mesko, Aiken

That's around 56 players, with some room to trim.

A variant of this, without the Kenny Phillips signing, would be to trade back a few spots from 29 and pick up an extra 4th round pick. Then pick up Fluker in the early 2nd, Matt Elam at 40, and WR Marquise Goodwin of Texas in the early 4th round.

You swaped out Justin Hunter for Quinton Patton but didn't change the team from LA Tech to Tenn. I like Patton better.

A variant of this, without the Kenny Phillips signing, would be to trade back a few spots from 29 and pick up an extra 4th round pick. Then pick up Fluker in the early 2nd, Matt Elam at 40, and WR Marquise Goodwin of Texas in the early 4th round.

No coverage OLB to add to the roster? It doesn't appear as if that particular position is well-represented
in the draft outside of Ogletree & Jarvis Jones, both of whom will likely be gone by 29 (and I'm not sure
if I would use 61 on any of the rest), but surely there must be someone, somewhere, who can help us
cover TEs & RBs...right? How about UFAs-to-be Keith Rivers, Thomas Howard or Daryl Smith?

No coverage OLB to add to the roster? It doesn't appear as if that particular position is well-represented
in the draft outside of Ogletree & Jarvis Jones, both of whom will likely be gone by 29 (and I'm not sure
if I would use 61 on any of the rest), but surely there must be someone, somewhere, who can help us
cover TEs & RBs...right? How about UFAs-to-be Keith Rivers, Thomas Howard or Daryl Smith?

Im pretty sure khaseeme green did a good amount of coverage in college. Not sure if id pick him but he could be an option

Im pretty sure khaseeme green did a good amount of coverage in college. Not sure if id pick him but he could be an option

He actually moved to LB from safety. Huge playmaker for rutgers and easily the best player on a top 5 defense.

You should watch Jake Knott (Iowa State). Very good cover LB.

He actually moved to LB from safety. Huge playmaker for rutgers and easily the best player on a top 5 defense.

yeah ive seen mocks with him in the first and the 2nd im definitely interested in him and arthur brown but im not sure we need a 2nd round pick on an lb at this point. i wouldnt be opposed to a pick of either of them though

Time to revise this "blueprint" based on the playoff woes of the 2010-2012 Patriots:

Priorities:

1. Fix the secondary, including getting more physical at CB to play press-man coverage, with physical safety play that doesn't sacrifice coverage ability

2. Get more physical on both lines, including the ability to run the ball in short yardage situations effectively, and to generate more effective pressure with a 4 man front

3. Get bigger, more physical and also faster at WR with the capability to stretch the field and to work the field outside as well as in the middle, and also to match up with big DBs and physical teams. More explosiveness would also be useful - the Pats' offense has been very efficient, but not particularly big play

4. Address the fact that we constantly get shredded by RBs and TEs

5. Find an eventual true successor to TB

The Next 3 Months:

1. The secondary:

- Re-sign Aqib Talib if possible (under $7M/year). Continuity is good, but don't break the bank. If Talib can't be re-signed, Keenan Lewis would be a good alternative

- Re-sign Kyle Arrington if cheap (under $1.5M/year). Marquice Cole could be re-signed as well, or as a cheaper alternative to Arrington, with a nickel/slot CB picked up in the draft

- Assess whether Ras-I Dowling is likely to make a full recovery in 2013, and whether he fits better as a press-man CB or as a hybrid CB/S

- Keep Devin McCourty at FS and don't move him around

- Sign UFA FA SS Kenny Phillips. He would provide the physical safety complement to McCourty that we need, while still being good in coverage and not compromising the deep threat

- Let Patrick Chung walk

2. The DL:

- Armond Armstead has already been signed. The Pats' still have Myron Pryor's rights for 2013, and Marcus Forston has been promoted from the PS. Those 3 alone will be a significant infusion of talent on the DL.

3. The OL:

- Re-sign Sebastian Vollmer if it can be done for reasonable cost (under $6M/year), and hopefully Donald Thomas. If the Pats' can't sign Vollmer to a reasonable deal, they might consider using the franchise or transition tag on him. The franchise tag is estimated at $9.66M, the transition tag at $8.56M. Not my preferred route, but it might allow the Pats to keep Vollmer for another year while developing other options.

4. The WRs and RBs:

- Let Wes Welker walk and sign UFA FA Brian Hartline. It hurts, but the difference in money might free up enough to pick up someone like Kenny Phillips.

- Re-sign Julian Edelman and Danny Woodhead.

5. Miscellaneous:

- Possible extensions for Brady and Wilfork that might free up some cap space

- Sign RFAs Dane Fletcher, Jake Ballard and Michael Hoomanwanui. Tracy White is a possibility, but is a lesser priority.

- Possibly sign a veteran QB like Matt Cassel or Brian Hoyer, if the price is right

The Draft:

*** Trade: Cleveland trades #6 to St. Louis for #16 and 22. Rams trade up for Eric Fisher. Not a trade directly involving the Pats, but ...

*** Trade: Cleveland trades #16 to New England for QB Ryan Mallett. A last minute draft day trade, with the Browns deciding they don't like the available QB options. They still have a 1st round pick at #22.

*** Trade: New England trades #16 to Tennessee for #40 and their 2014 1st round pick. Bud Adams is impatient, and wants to get better now.

29. DJ Fluker, OL, Alabama. 6'5" 350. Currently NFL DraftScout #28.

J+Fluker+Kent+State+v+Alabama+C3lrwq8yFV5l.jpg

Beast!
Fluker plays RT for Alabama, but would probably move inside to RG, with Dan Connolly moving to center. An OL of Solder-Mankins-Connolly-Fluker-Vollmer would be incredibly powerful. Fluker has the power of Chance Warmack, but he is nimble footed enough to get out in space. He also has incredibly long arms, and the versatility to move to RT in a pinch.

Tavon.jpg

Stud Greyhound!
It's evident that the Pats' offense needs more of a speed threat at WR. Austin would be a Percy Harvin/DeSean Jackson kind of weapon: a dynamic speedster who can get separation and accelerate on a dime and take it to the house at any time. Guys like Austin and Jeff Demps could be great weapons in the Pats' up-tempo offense, especially given the blocking TEs and the power running game to balance things out. If defenses go big to try and stop the TEs and the running game then the Pats can shred them with speed.

After the West Virginia-Texas game Bucky Brooks wrote:

West Virginia's Geno Smith shows poise of NFL quarterback - NFL.com

Austin would immediately provide a lot of what the Pats' got from Welker, plus more explosiveness and versatility. Couple him with a couple of bigger outside receivers, and the WR group would look much different.

60. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee. 6'4" 200#. Currently NFL DraftScout #66.

Justin-Hunter.jpg

Stud Horse!
Hunter is the kind of big, physical WR that the Pats have lacked for a long time. Along with Brian Hartline, he would give the Pats' WR corps a very different look from what they have had over the past 3 years. They would still have the TEs and the move-based weapons (though with much more explosiveness), but also legitimate outside receiving threats who can move the chains and work the sidelines in Hunter and Hartline. Hunter would also be an excellent red zone threat.

*** Trade: Pats trade #91 and #218 to Cleveland for #101 and #132.

101. Menelik Watson, OT, Florida St. 6'6" 320#. Currently NFL DraftScout #95.

MW+1.jpg

Sleeper Beast!
Reid Fragel would also be an option. Either one has a ton of athleticism and upside, and could conceivably be a starting RT in 2014 after a year under Scar's tutelage. I've listed Watson because he is more physical and powerful, and paired with DJ Fluker would give the Pats an incredibly brutal right sided tandem for the future. He's raw as hell, but he's only been playing football for 18 months. Give him another 18 months in Dante's Dancing Academy, and he could be something.

*** Trade: Pats trade #132 and 202 to Minnesota for #149 and 166.

149. Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU. 5'9" 178#. Currently NFL DraftScout #181.

tyrann-mathieu-opy0-74311.jpg

Fallen Beast!
If he lasts this long, this is where I would take a flier on a scrappy player like the Honey Bader. We could use some toughness in our secondary. I'm tired of being soft. We need a few thugs in our secondary. This is an about-face for me, but right now, I want some bad asses who will take some shots and send some messages.

Mathieu is undersized and doesn't have elite man coverage skills. But he is a heat seeking missile and ball hawk par extraordinaire who can be moved all around the secondary to create disruption. He's a big risk without a true position and multiple off field issues leading to his dismissal from LSU, but right now we need someone like him. He could excel in a nickel back/slot kind of role.

166. William Campbell, DT, Michigan. 6'5" 318#. Currently NFL DraftScout #202.

hi-res-124665868_crop_650x440.jpg

Sleeper Beast!
Campbell has Michael Brokers/Akiem Hicks size and athleticism, with great strength, and enough quickness and explosiveness to play point guard in basketball games. He also played offensive line for a season for Michigan.

Note that the Pats would have an extra 2014 1st round pick, in addition to their full complement of draft picks.

Looking at the Pats' cap situation, I would consider modifying this slightly:

1. Let Welker walk. If a FA like Hartline can be signed for reasonable $, then do it. He's the one I would target. Otherwise, go WR in the draft. Need to keep the positional cost low for the next few years.

2. If the Pats think Cannon is ready to be a starter, let Vollmer walk. If he can be re-signed for reasonably money ($6M/year or less) then it's an option. Otherwise, the transition tag is an option, if not used on Talib.

3. I like the idea of pairing Fluker with either Vollmer or Cannon. Very powerful line. If Vollmer walks, the coaching staff can decide which of Fluker/Cannon to put at RT and which at RG. A backup/swing tackle would be useful. Menelik Watson, Reid Fragel, and Terron Armstead are all options.

4. If we didn't get a WR in FA, I'd consider getting 3 in the draft. Someone like Austin, someone like Hunter, and maybe a guy like Marquise Goodwin who could be a faster Deion Branch replacement, with breakaway and deep capability. The trick is obviously getting enough draft picks to do that.

5. WIth the money available by not signing Welker or Vollmer, extend Talib and sign Kenny Phillips.

The guy that really interests me as a potential coverage LBer is Ty Powell from Harding. He is a former Community College Safety, turned DE at Harding, but will transition to OLB in the NFL. At 6'3" 250lbs, he is very quick and explosive, has good speed (should be a 4.55-4.65 guy) and people were raving about his change of direction ability at the Senior Bowl where he was a late add. He will need some developing as a coverage LBer, but he should make a team as a special teamer and situational pass rusher early on. I've only seen a few bits and pieces on tape, but he looks pretty good to me. When you see a small school prospect you want to see them dominate, and he certainly did that.

The guy that really interests me as a potential coverage LBer is Ty Powell from Harding. He is a former Community College Safety, turned DE at Harding, but will transition to OLB in the NFL. At 6'3" 250lbs, he is very quick and explosive, has good speed (should be a 4.55-4.65 guy) and people were raving about his change of direction ability at the Senior Bowl where he was a late add. He will need some developing as a coverage LBer, but he should make a team as a special teamer and situational pass rusher early on. I've only seen a few bits and pieces on tape, but he looks pretty good to me. When you see a small school prospect you want to see them dominate, and he certainly did that.

Intriguing guy. I found this note:

In December, Sports Illustrated's Tony Pauline said on his Twitter account that area scouts that have evaluated Powell “stamped” him as a top-90 pick in the NFL Draft.

Harding Athletics - Harding's Ty Powell Added to Senior Bowl Roster

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back