PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint For the Pats

We do have a couple of very good options if Ogletree gets taken. Arthur Brown and Khaseem Greene are similiar players. Not the rangy, athletic build Ogie Oglethorpe has. But, small, fast lb's who can play in space and do everything required of an olb in the 4-3.

I think there will be some safety options in the third too if Amerson gone. I think Eric Reid and Matt Elam will be picked late first. Vaccarro, TJ Mcdonald and Jefferson in the second. Still have guys like; Thomas, Lester and Rambo. It's mayo's mock. But, I might go cb there for McFadden or Trufant if available. I do like Rambo though. Ogie Oglethorpe and Johnny Rambo on the same squad. Yowzers!!

My guess if we deal Mallett. It's for a second in 2013. Then, we deal back from 62 for extra picks. 3 and a 4. We'd still have 32, 2 for Mallett, two 3's and a 4. Wouldn't get Brandon Williams. But, would still be a great haul.

nfldraft scout has ogletree in the top 15, iirc.

Did you see Amerson get torched against Tenn.? He is lacking in pure speed.

Not sure about Carradine, he got stoned agaginst Xavier Nixon in the Florida game. Interestingly if Brandon Jenkins doesn't get injured, you don't see Carradine play this year very much. He's UDFA material. So where are the hidden Carradines? Guys with ability who haven't gotten much playing time or whatever?

nfldraft scout has ogletree in the top 15, iirc.

Did you see Amerson get torched against Tenn.? He is lacking in pure speed.

Not sure about Carradine, he got stoned agaginst Xavier Nixon in the Florida game. Interestingly if Brandon Jenkins doesn't get injured, you don't see Carradine play this year very much. He's UDFA material. So where are the hidden Carradines? Guys with ability who haven't gotten much playing time or whatever?

1. Ogletree is #80 on Draft Scout now.

2. Speed is less important as a deep lying FS. Range and reaction is more so. With Amerson you're talking about a 6'2" playmaker who gets interceptions. It's not all that preposterous an idea. Particularly in the 3rd.

3. As for Tank having one "bad game", in which he got half a sack, it's his similarity to Chandler Jones that Mayo and I like, particularly his long arms. He's an excellent fit for what BB likes from his DE's, the ability to set the edge as well as get after the passer in a controlled way.

4. As for "hidden Carradine's", that's the Holy Grail of scouting.

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. It's not something I advocate, it's not something I think will happen, it's just a possibility I think might happen taking in to account a number of things:

1. This is a very strong WR and OT draft class.

2. Two of our biggest potential FA's are Welker and Vollmer. Without wanting to re-legislate the relative arguments which have been discussed ad-nauseum on the main board, there's a realistic case to be made that neither would be re-signed.

3. Ray Lewis is retiring. I think this makes it more likely that Ed Reed, a personal favourite of BB, will leave the Ravens. I can see BB wanting to make a big play for Reed. Not re-signing Vollmer and/or Welker would give him the money to do so.

4. It would also give him the money to prioritise Talib as the important re-signing for this off-season.

5. And the money to sign a FA DT.

Anyway, just a thought.

I'm not sure about letting Tracy White go. Their special teams fell apart against SF when he was out.

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. It's not something I advocate, it's not something I think will happen, it's just a possibility I think might happen taking in to account a number of things:

2. Two of our biggest potential FA's are Welker and Vollmer. Without wanting to re-legislate the relative arguments which have been discussed ad-nauseum on the main board, there's a realistic case to be made that neither would be re-signed.

3. Ray Lewis is retiring. I think this makes it more likely that Ed Reed, a personal favourite of BB, will leave the Ravens. I can see BB wanting to make a big play for Reed. Not re-signing Vollmer and/or Welker would give him the money to do so.

4. It would also give him the money to prioritise Talib as the important re-signing for this off-season.

Anyway, just a thought.

I love Ed Reed. But, he's on his last legs too. He's discussed retirement at the end of each year because of neck issue. Vollmer was our best OL this year IMO, and Welker is simply indespensible in our offense.

If you want to use the money allocated to Talib and sign Ed Reed. Let's talk. Move McCourty back to CB.

I love Ed Reed. But, he's on his last legs too. He's discussed retirement at the end of each year because of neck issue. Vollmer was our best OL this year IMO, and Welker is simply indespensible in our offense.

If you want to use the money allocated to Talib and sign Ed Reed. Let's talk. Move McCourty back to CB.

Ed Reed is all done, and as this is the draft forum I'm not going to get into any debate about Welker in it but prioritizing Talib over him is flat out nuts.

I doubt Chung returns as he has pretty much fallen out of favor and they aren't going to give him much too stay. Moving McCourty back to CB makes no sense, he's much better at safety and has not performed that well at CB imo. Gregory and Wilson at S with McCourty looks pretty good to me as i believe Wilson is going to develop and Gregory has been improving as he gets familiar with their system, that doesn't mean i wouldn't draft talent at S if it is there but i wouldn't prioritize it over other needs, in fact i would bet CB will be a greater need as signing Talib won't be easy. I would like to see him back but I wouldn't go nuts paying him as he has issues associated with him that could be problematic down the road. He's good but he's not a franchise caliber CB.

I like their DL but see them adding to it. I like their LB's and it is not a need at this point, WR and interior OL would be my priorities but this may well be a best player available draft or one where they move into the following year to bulk back up on picks.

I'm not sure about letting Tracy White go. Their special teams fell apart against SF when he was out.

I like Tracy White, but I wouldn't prioritize him ahead of Welker, Talib, Vollmer, Edelman, Woodhead, Arrington, Fletcher or Thomas, and probably not ahead of Ballard or Hoomanawanui. Fletcher was a terrific STer, and he would be back. I'd be happy to keep White, but if Fletcher is back and we add someone like Ogletree there will be a numbers crunch, and there's the issue of how much money there is to go around. If I have to pick someone to let go, he's further down on the list of guys to keep.

I like Tracy White, but I wouldn't prioritize him ahead of Welker, Talib, Vollmer, Edelman, Woodhead, Arrington, Fletcher or Thomas, and probably not ahead of Ballard or Hoomanawanui. Fletcher was a terrific STer, and he would be back. I'd be happy to keep White, but if Fletcher is back and we add someone like Ogletree there will be a numbers crunch, and there's the issue of how much money there is to go around. If I have to pick someone to let go, he's further down on the list of guys to keep.

With his speed, fleibility and hitting ability, Ogletree would probably grade out as close to an elite special teamer anyway.

We do have a couple of very good options if Ogletree gets taken. Arthur Brown and Khaseem Greene are similiar players. Not the rangy, athletic build Ogie Oglethorpe has. But, small, fast lb's who can play in space and do everything required of an olb in the 4-3.

Personally, I rated Ogletree, Anthony Barr and Kyle Van Noy as 1st round talents who might drop to the 2nd round this year. Barr and Van Noy aren't coming out, but Ogletree is. There's no doubt he has 1st round talent, but he is a bit raw and he has character issues. Mel Kiper has him rated around #10 or so, and Rob Rang has him at #16 on his big board. But NFLDraftScout has him at #80, and others have him also not in the 1st round. It's quite possible that Chicago or Baltimore could grab him as a replacement for Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis, but it's also possible that he could drop.

Prsonbally, I don't consider Arthur Brown or Khaseem Greene to be special players, and I wouldn't reach for them. JMHO. It's trade #50 for a 2014 1st if I could. Worst case, I'd use the pick to grab Barr or Van Noy a year later. Best case, I'd get a pick that might get me Stephon Tuitt or Austin Seferian Jenkins (see post #2 in this thread) or Louis Nix, and maybe still get Barr or Van Noy with or own #1.

This may be an exceptionally dense question but are Mayoclinic and Off The Grid the same person?

Unless it's a Jeckyll & Hyde deal I'm pretty sure they're different people.

Last edited:
Unless it's a Jeckyll & Hyde deal I'm pretty sure they're different people.

OTG is definitely Mr Hyde in that relationship. In a good way of course.

Anyway, just a thought.

I'm not a big fan of signing Ed Reed, who will be 35 and who has been toying with retiring for years. Can't see him being a long term solution. Wouldn't mind Kenny Phillips, though his injury history is a bit scary. Would love to get Henry Melton, though I can't see him leaving Chicago. But is any of it worth losing Vollmer and Welker? If they're gone anyway, those are reasonable options. But not first choices.

I'm not a big fan of signing Ed Reed, who will be 35 and who has been toying with retiring for years. Can't see him being a long term solution. Wouldn't mind Kenny Phillips, though his injury history is a bit scary. Would love to get Henry Melton, though I can't see him leaving Chicago. But is any of it worth losing Vollmer and Welker? If they're gone anyway, those are reasonable options. But not first choices.

We now BB likes his Vet retreads: Ocho, Haynesworth, Fred Taylor etc. We know that Ed Reed is close to being the player BB respects the most in the NFL and we still have a vacancy in that Safety position. It's of course possible that BB respects Reed but still thinks he's past it and it's possible Reed is so loyal to the Ravens, he'd rather retire than play elsewhere. But at the same time, he doesn't have a ring whilst Ray Lewis does. That might irk a future HOFer.

As for Welker and Vollmer. It would be great to keep them. But re-signing Welker doesn't look guaranteed by any means and if a RT with chronic back trouble starts getting LT type offers, do you really think BB will see the value there with such a strong draft class at the position? I'm not so sure.

This isn't about what I, or we, want, it's just an attempt to think ahead and what BB might do.

We now BB likes his Vet retreads: Ocho, Haynesworth, Fred Taylor etc. We know that Ed Reed is close to being the player BB respects the most in the NFL and we still have a vacancy in that Safety position. It's of course possible that BB respects Reed but still thinks he's past it and it's possible Reed is so loyal to the Ravens, he'd rather retire than play elsewhere. But at the same time, he doesn't have a ring whilst Ray Lewis does. That might irk a future HOFer.

As for Welker and Vollmer. It would be great to keep them. But re-signing Welker doesn't look guaranteed by any means and if a RT with chronic back trouble starts getting LT type offers, do you really think BB will see the value there with such a strong draft class at the position? I'm not so sure.

This isn't about what I, or we, want, it's just an attempt to think ahead and what BB might do.

Those vets you mentioned have one thing in common. They were all colossal failures in New England.

Those vets you mentioned have one thing in common. They were all colossal failures in New England.

That's true. He keeps going back to the well though. And Randy Moss wasn't a colossal failure was he?

Last edited:
That's true. He keeps going back to the well though. And Randy Moss wasn't a colossal failure was he?

Nor was Brian Waters, to take a more recent example. But it comes down to how cheaply he could get Reed. I think it's unlikely, personally, but I said it was an option.

Well, you didn't mention him. Plus, He was only 30 when we acquired him. Other vets have helped us; Bobby Hamilton, Otis Smith, Bryan Cox, Ted Washington. Come to mind. Rodney hadn't runed 31 yet when we acquired him. If Reed wants short money and a run at the Super Bowl. Welcome to the party. If he wants to get paid. No can do.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back