PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

Another nice read, this one by Bleacher lead writer Ty Schalter, who calls Jamie Collins the "centerpiece" of the Pats' defense:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...out-postseason-carry-patriots-d-to-super-bowl

I am absolutely fine with Jamie Collins at linebacker but I salivate when I think about Mayo-Hightower at linebacker and Collins taken a few steps back from the box playing Chancellor's safety role. Collins' one problem is that he can get washed out a bit playing inside the congested confines of the box but give him some room to run and hit, hubba hubba.

Delvin Breaux has been worked out by 18 teams now. Russ Lande, formerly the scout for National Football Post and now working in CFB said:

Breaux is VG athlete with starting talent. If he passes NFL physicals he will be a VG starting CB in NFL sooner than expected.

https://twitter.com/RUSSLANDE/status/556161884077170689

I want him and I want him quite badly. 6'1", 200lbs and runs in the 4.3s allegedly. Broken neck aside, he's the perfect CB prospect and is still only 25.

Delvin Breaux has been worked out by 18 teams now. Russ Lande, formerly the scout for National Football Post and now working in CFB said:

https://twitter.com/RUSSLANDE/status/556161884077170689

I want him and I want him quite badly. 6'1", 200lbs and runs in the 4.3s allegedly. Broken neck aside, he's the perfect CB prospect and is still only 25.

I'm heavily on favor of picking up Breaux, but I think the odds are fairly low given the number of teams that are pursuing it. I'm not holding my breath, but I'll join you in cheering if it happens.

I am absolutely fine with Jamie Collins at linebacker but I salivate when I think about Mayo-Hightower at linebacker and Collins taken a few steps back from the box playing Chancellor's safety role. Collins' one problem is that he can get washed out a bit playing inside the congested confines of the box but give him some room to run and hit, hubba hubba.

It's an interesting idea. I can't see Collins moving there permanently, but I can certainly see it on occasion. One thing that I like is that it blurs the line between base and sub. Play 3 LBs in the box in base, +/- a safety; move Collins back into a hybrid LB/S role in sub. It also has the advantage of having Mayo, Collins and Hightower on the field at the same time.

The problem is that I want more than 1 Collins. He's just so versatile and valuable. I'd rather Mayo could play that role and keep Hightower and Collins available to blitz the A-gaps, but I don't think Mayo could play it as effectively as Collins.

I think more and more the ability to "play in space" from all positions is going to be valuable, which is part of why I was so high on Dominique Easley and why I'm so high on Max Valles, who is the closest thing I see to giving us another Collins.

Last edited:
Tom Curran had a nice piece on Collins yesterday:
Every chance Bill Belichick gets, he subtly indicates that what we’re seeing with Collins is rare. That Collins represents the model for off-the-line defensive players, but that there just aren’t any other models on the assembly line.

After living under the radar most of his rookie year, Collins emerged at the end of the regular season and in the 2013 playoffs. This year, his profile rose.

Still, Collins says he has no interest in embracing that. The 25-year-old from McCall Creek, Mississippi, is almost always out of sight when media has its allotted time in the locker room. After games, he’s usually dressed and gone before we stampede in with tape recorders, cameras and microphones in hand.

Thursday, Collins was at his locker when the media entered. Only a couple of us seemed to notice. I asked Collins whether he’s been hearing the high praise.

“I take all that in when I hear about it but I try not to get too deep into that,” he replied. “That’s not my cup of tea. I’ve never been that type of guy. It’s all good hearing things like that, but I try to stick to me. I always do me, regardless of the circumstance.”

Doing him means steering clear of attention.

“I’m just getting ready,” Collins said when asked why we see him so rarely. “I’m always to myself and getting ready.”

The amount of learning piled on Collins’ plate since coming to the league as a second-round pick from Southern Miss., has been unusually high.

A safety, linebacker and defensive end in college, Collins’ versatility meant he had to learn and play multiple spots. That’s carried over to the NFL so that now, Collins has as much defensive responsibility after the snap as any player on the team.

Diagnosing a play then falling into his responsibility – which could be to drop in zone of man coverage, rush, play the run, redirect receivers or a combination of those chores – means his mind has to work quickly and decisively.

The mental strides he’s made allows him now to play with the speed that will be the trademark of his game.

I’m really comfortable,” he said. “Once you learn the playbook then you can go out there and do whatever you have to do. And that’s one thing that I feel. I’ve learned the playbook, I’ve grinded it out. So it’s all paying off. I’m still learning right now, but once I learned some things and hit that playbook, it just comes to me.”

How much better can Collins get?

“A lot,” he said. “I can get great. I can get way better. There’s always room for improvement. You talk about all those things I can do but I can do it better. I’m going to continue to do it. There’s no settling.”

The speed, the stride length, the leaping ability and explosiveness that draw gushing praise? It’s not remarkable to Collins because it’s what he does.

“I hear about [people commenting on it] and I just go about my business because it’s just what I do,” he explained. “I don’t like to brag, I don’t do none of that, I just play ball, I just stick to me. Same old me.”

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/now-key-pats-defense-collins-no-longer-under-radar

Almost a year after starting this thread, it's interesting to see how the Pats' personnel on D stacks up against the Seahawks.

DL:

Pats: Chandler Jones, Vince Wilfork, Alan Branch, Rob Ninkovich; Akeem Ayers, Sealver Siliga, Chris Jones, Zach Moore; IR: Dominique Easley, Michael Buchanan

Seahawks: Cliff Avril, Tony McDaniel, Kevin Williams, Michael Bennett; O'Brien Schofield, Bruce Irvin, DeMarcus Dobbs, David King; IR: Brandon Mebane, Jordan Hill

Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich don't get as much press as Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, but are probably comparable ends. The Pats are better and deeper at tackle - the FA losses of Cliff Clemons, Red Bryant and Clinton McDonald plus the loss of Brandon Mebane and Jordan Hill to injury have hurt the Seahawks tremendously. The lack of rotational depth on the DL is the biggest change from the 2013 Seahawks defense. The loss of Dominique Easley takes away a disruptive element from the Pats, but the mid-season additions of Akeem Ayers and Alan Branch gave the Pats DL a huge boost. Ayers and Bruce Irvin can both play LB or sub rusher, though Ayers filled in admirably for Chandler Jones as a starting RDE. I give the Pats a slight advantage in terms of DT and depth, but it's close.

LB:

Pats: Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Akeem Ayers, Jonathan Casillas, Darius Fleming; IR: Jerod Mayo

Seahawks: Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, Bruce Irvin, Malcolm Smith; Brock Coyle, Mike Morgan; IR: Kevin Pierre-Louis

Again, it's close. I don't think the Seahawks LBs have the versatility of Jamie Collins and Dont'a Hightower, but they have a lot of speed and aggressiveness. The loss of Jerod Mayo takes away a Pro Bowl player, but the additions of Ayers and Casillas were huge.

DB:

Pats: Darrelle Revis, Brandon Browner, Kyle Arrington, Devin McCourty, Pat Chung; Logan Ryan, Malcolm Butler, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon, Nate Ebner; IR: Alfonzo Denanrd

Seahawks: Richard Sherman, Tharold Simon, Byron Maxwell, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor; Jeremy Lane, Marcus Burley, DeShawn Shead

I give the Pats an advantage in terms of depth, but the Seahawks combination of Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor is pretty incredible.

Pretty close call between the two lineups. I'd give the Pats an edge in terms of overall depth and versatility, and the Seahawks an edge in terms of physicality and aggressiveness. It will be interesting to watch them on the same field in 12 days.

Regardless, I think the Pats have essentially closed the gap from a year ago. It's amazing how far this defense has progressed in 12 months.

Pretty damn good job by BB of rebuilding this defense. Remember the secondary against Baltimore in 2011? I'd be content to bring all 11 back. All we have to do is extend Revis and sign McCourty. We've got Mayo coming back at lb. I'm not sure about Ayers coming back given his lack of PT. I'd really like to bring Casillas back. Biggest need for me is the front four. Don't see VW fitting in our cap. Want a DT and DE 1-2. I'll worry about the OL after that. Draft Countdown has a Top 100 with Phillips at 36 and Odighizuwa at 71. If we could snag them at 1-2. That would be great. Combined with Easley developing. That's some nice talent all over.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/Rankings/TOP.php

Delvin Breaux has reached an agreement with the Saints. Shame.

Sorry to hear that, Breaux. See what I did, there??
eyebrows.gif

shame, but still better than seahawks
and all of my 4th round binkies going up to 2nd round, Poutasi and Rollins:(
not great news after that deflate nonsense

shame, but still better than seahawks
and all of my 4th round binkies going up to 2nd round, Poutasi and Rollins:(
not great news after that deflate nonsense

it's always disappointing when that happens. I've had Ziggy Ansah and Jimmie Ward go from UDFA to the first round. So frustrating.

Almost a year after starting this thread, it's interesting to see how the Pats' personnel on D stacks up against the Seahawks.

DL:

Pats: Chandler Jones, Vince Wilfork, Alan Branch, Rob Ninkovich; Akeem Ayers, Sealver Siliga, Chris Jones, Zach Moore; IR: Dominique Easley, Michael Buchanan

Seahawks: Cliff Avril, Tony McDaniel, Kevin Williams, Michael Bennett; O'Brien Schofield, Bruce Irvin, DeMarcus Dobbs, David King; IR: Brandon Mebane, Jordan Hill

Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich don't get as much press as Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, but are probably comparable ends. The Pats are better and deeper at tackle - the FA losses of Cliff Clemons, Red Bryant and Clinton McDonald plus the loss of Brandon Mebane and Jordan Hill to injury have hurt the Seahawks tremendously. The lack of rotational depth on the DL is the biggest change from the 2013 Seahawks defense. The loss of Dominique Easley takes away a disruptive element from the Pats, but the mid-season additions of Akeem Ayers and Alan Branch gave the Pats DL a huge boost. Ayers and Bruce Irvin can both play LB or sub rusher, though Ayers filled in admirably for Chandler Jones as a starting RDE. I give the Pats a slight advantage in terms of DT and depth, but it's close.

LB:

Pats: Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Akeem Ayers, Jonathan Casillas, Darius Fleming; IR: Jerod Mayo

Seahawks: Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, Bruce Irvin, Malcolm Smith; Brock Coyle, Mike Morgan; IR: Kevin Pierre-Louis

Again, it's close. I don't think the Seahawks LBs have the versatility of Jamie Collins and Dont'a Hightower, but they have a lot of speed and aggressiveness. The loss of Jerod Mayo takes away a Pro Bowl player, but the additions of Ayers and Casillas were huge.

DB:

Pats: Darrelle Revis, Brandon Browner, Kyle Arrington, Devin McCourty, Pat Chung; Logan Ryan, Malcolm Butler, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon, Nate Ebner; IR: Alfonzo Denanrd

Seahawks: Richard Sherman, Tharold Simon, Byron Maxwell, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor; Jeremy Lane, Marcus Burley, DeShawn Shead

I give the Pats an advantage in terms of depth, but the Seahawks combination of Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor is pretty incredible.

Pretty close call between the two lineups. I'd give the Pats an edge in terms of overall depth and versatility, and the Seahawks an edge in terms of physicality and aggressiveness. It will be interesting to watch them on the same field in 12 days.

Regardless, I think the Pats have essentially closed the gap from a year ago. It's amazing how far this defense has progressed in 12 months.

The main difference for me isn't the players but the approach. This is still a team that bends but doesn't break and contains. The Seahawks are a defense that attacks particularly in terms of getting after the passer.

The main difference for me isn't the players but the approach. This is still a team that bends but doesn't break and contains. The Seahawks are a defense that attacks particularly in terms of getting after the passer.
I agree, but to me the approach has to do with the players. IMO you're never going to have a great pass rush when the foundation of your DL is made up mostly of guys like Ninkovich, Wilfork, and Siliga.

I agree, but to me the approach has to do with the players. IMO you're never going to have a great pass rush when the foundation of your DL is made up mostly of guys like Ninkovich, Wilfork, and Siliga.

Right but that's the way BB likes it and who are we to argue? Nest week we go to our 6th SB. All those teams with good pass rushers aren't.

Right but that's the way BB likes it and who are we to argue? Nest week we go to our 6th SB. All those teams with good pass rushers aren't.
They haven't actually won one since they had a good pass rush though.

They haven't actually won one since they had a good pass rush though.

Get back to me in eight days :)

FWIW, I don't think a lack of pass rush lost us those SBs.

Put me firmly in the camp that sees the Pats biggest weaknesses along the interior lines. I think they need a Wilfork replacement (hopefully someone who can couple with Easley to push the interior of the pocket) as well as a couple interior o-linemen to better dominate the line of scrimmage.

Right now, I love their linebackers (Mayo, I expect, will restructure and return) and their secondary. Like many, however, I want them to solidify the d-line. I am not a big Branch fan, and think Chris Jones is below average. Would he be in the rotation for the better defensive line in the league such as the Jets, Bills, Ravens, etc? I'm not so sure. Siliga, if he can remain healthy and continue to develop, shows promise. Given the difficulty in finding a pocket pushing interior d-lineman at pick 32 (I hope) I'd like free agent money going for a veteran with this capability. Even if they go d-line with the number one pick, I doubt that player will be someone who can come in and make a huge upgrade early in his career. I think they are more likely to find dominant interior offensive lineman in the draft at the end of the first round into the second, and so, would prefer they stock up early in the draft at that position. Afterward, I'd like some depth at end, maybe safety, etc.. This defense is on the cusp of allowing this team to compete every year for the foreseeable future regardless of how the offense is structured and I think a stud interior d-lineman would be a difference maker for this team. I've said it for months and see nothing since to change my opinion.

I wanted to post this before the game. If the Pats can't beat the Seahawks I think the difference will be in Seattle's ability to run the ball and our in our inability to do the same. It starts with the line and that's where I'd like to see us invest, like everyone else, but my approach might be a hair different than some.

Put me firmly in the camp that sees the Pats biggest weaknesses along the interior lines. I think they need a Wilfork replacement (hopefully someone who can couple with Easley to push the interior of the pocket) as well as a couple interior o-linemen to better dominate the line of scrimmage.

Right now, I love their linebackers (Mayo, I expect, will restructure and return) and their secondary. Like many, however, I want them to solidify the d-line. I am not a big Branch fan, and think Chris Jones is below average. Would he be in the rotation for the better defensive line in the league such as the Jets, Bills, Ravens, etc? I'm not so sure. Siliga, if he can remain healthy and continue to develop, shows promise. Given the difficulty in finding a pocket pushing interior d-lineman at pick 32 (I hope) I'd like free agent money going for a veteran with this capability. Even if they go d-line with the number one pick, I doubt that player will be someone who can come in and make a huge upgrade early in his career. I think they are more likely to find dominant interior offensive lineman in the draft at the end of the first round into the second, and so, would prefer they stock up early in the draft at that position. Afterward, I'd like some depth at end, maybe safety, etc.. This defense is on the cusp of allowing this team to compete every year for the foreseeable future regardless of how the offense is structured and I think a stud interior d-lineman would be a difference maker for this team. I've said it for months and see nothing since to change my opinion.

I wanted to post this before the game. If the Pats can't beat the Seahawks I think the difference will be in Seattle's ability to run the ball and our in our inability to do the same. It starts with the line and that's where I'd like to see us invest, like everyone else, but my approach might be a hair different than some.
Careful who you say "Chris Jones" is below average to, I said last off-season that I viewed him as a okay player and I was attacked by a bear

We need to get a little more athletic along the defensive line. It's just so hard to cover. If the ball is near the receivers, they can catch it with the gloves they wear now. Need to hurry the qb if you want to close some of these games out more comfortably.

I don't want a pure run-stuffer at dt. I want a 310lb who can play well versus the run. And, RUSH the quarterback a little. I'm thinking one of Davis, Brown or Goldman in Round 1. None will be as good as VW against the run. But, if we can run base 4-3 a little more, we should be tough to run on.

Could we line Mayo and Hightower up where they do in a 4-2-5. Move Collins and Browner around as BB desires. Still could have two corners and a single high safety. Is Collins athletic enough to pull something off like that against run heavy teams?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back