PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

You're right. He's due a $4M roster bonus on March 10, so the Pats would have to make a decision by then which way to go.

I understand that the NFL wants one big event in every month in the offseason but I honestly believe that the draft should happen before FA. In most cases drafting is completely unpredictable and you might end up with players that you didn't expect to have. It would only make sense that FA happens afterwards so you can plan accordingly.

That being said, I guess the unpredictability of the current setup is also some form of equalizer among teams.

I understand that the NFL wants one big event in every month in the offseason but I honestly believe that the draft should happen before FA. In most cases drafting is completely unpredictable and you might end up with players that you didn't expect to have. It would only make sense that FA happens afterwards so you can plan accordingly.

That being said, I guess the unpredictability of the current setup is also some form of equalizer among teams.

I like the current setup in terms of the draft coming after FA. You plug your immediate needs in FA (including re-signings), and then you draft for the long term.

Right now, IF Revis, McCourty, Ayers, Chung, Branch and Casillas are re-signed I don't see any immediate "needs" on defense, depending on what also happens with Mayo and Wilfork. But that's 8 players whose sitatuations need to be sorted out between now and the draft - almost 1/3 of the defense. Regardless, I would look to add some defensive talent in the draft, even though I think the offense will get more attention. As of right now I would look at:

1. DT. A Wilfork successor who can stop the run but also push the pocket and hopefully penetrate a bit. Eddie Goldman, Jordan Phillips and Malcolm Brown are my top 3. Danny Shelton will get some consideration. Terry Williams is intriguing. I'm not sold on Ellis McCarthy and Davis.

2. EDGE (DE/OLB). Could be more of an Ayers/Ninkovich guy, or a bigger guy who can play more in the base. Rotation is important. Dante Fowler, Bud Dupree and Danielle Hunter are all good enough that they would get consideration if available in the 1st or early 2nd, but otherwise this looks more like a late day 2/early day 3 area. Noah Spence, Owagabme Odighizuwa and Preston Smith could all be interesting options.

3. DB. A pipeline at both safety and CB could be important for the long term. Day 3 need, unless the value is too good to pass up.

I understand that I am not a professional coach and do not hold a candle to BB, but I am frustrated that we do not run a more attacking defense. I hate the contain mobile QB's and limit the run by neglecting pass rush by using primarily the bigs on the DL. In the Jets game I was hoping that we would be able to see more Ayers. It may be a pipe dream but I want to see Ayers and Jones at DE and let Nink be rotational. Let the DL pin their ears and go get the QB.
Sorry just my frustrated rant

I can't complain about the defense giving up only 16 points, but yeah I thought that I'd see more blitzes
and/or zone dogs vs GeeNo, who will never be confused with a brain surgeon. If Patricia had called
a few of them earlier in the game, it's possible that his cage would've been rattled enough to produce
a couple of more INTs with the subsequent favorable field position, something that our patheic offense
could have used.

A bit OT, but some nice defensive matchup analysis from Andy Benoit at SI's MMQB regarding the Detroit-GB matchup earlier this year.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/24/nfl-green-bay-packers-detroit-lions-week-17-nfc-north/#

It's the kind of thing I could see the Pats do a bit of next year, assuming all the current pieces are still on the team: a 4-2-5 nickel with McCourty/Ryan as the deep safeties, Revis/Browner/Arrington in press-man on the WRs, and Hightower/Collins as the LBs. Overload one side with Easley and Chandler Jones creates a ton of pressure, and forces the back to stay back as a protector. Hightower/Collins can either pic up the TE, drop into a zone or run a delayed blitz up the middle.

Kenny Vaccaro a healthy scratch for the Saints today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ccaros-definitely-benched-this-week-inactive/

If Vaccaro is truly on the outs in NO (which could be the case if Rob Ryan gets dumped), I'd offer TB's early 4th for him. He would be tremendous playing a hybrid "star" role allowing the Pats to play a 4-2-1-4 big nickel "base". When you want a 2nd deep safety, Logan Ryan could be used in that role. A safety rotation of McCourty-Vaccaro-Ryan, with Wilson-Harmon-Exner as backups and Ryan also getting snaps at CB, would be pretty nice.

As Grid noted in his 2013 scouting report on Vaccaro:

Kenny Vaccaro is a fascinating Prospect to project. His combination of Coverage skills and ferocious Run Defense is awesome, and you simply have to leave'm out there for all 3 Downs...but where??

He'd be an enormous Gamble as a classical Free Safety. His horrific Spacial Diagnostic Acuity make for a shaky Last Line of Defense, and would leave your Defense in constant danger of getting gashed for huge Plays & TouchDowns, not only in the Run Game, but even on short Passing Plays ~ Crossing Routes and such.

And his Wrapping ~ his Tackling Technique ~ is too raw for Strong Safety: He'd be missing Tackles constantly.

Seems to me that his best Fit is indeed as a Cover 2 Safety, provided his Partner has his back.

Funny thing is: He'd be perfect as the Free Gryphon in The Yankee 245, where he would simply let loose with'is freewheeling ways, and make an immense Impact as a phenomenal Slot Corner and as an explosive, ferocious Run Defender, all the while knowing that the Eagle ~ the Free Safety in The Yankee 245 ~ has his back.

http://www.fanaticalyankee.com/2015-nfl-draft-scouting-reports/category/kenny vaccaro

Whether you call it a 2-4-5, a 4-2-5 with a zone blitz, or whatever else, using Vaccaro as the "free Gryphon" (as Grid calls it) or "star" or "stud" hybrid LB/S/slot CB role, would be a perfect fit for Vaccaro.

Last edited:

From looking at Delvins twitter account he seems to be a Steelers fan. I know that this shouldn't dictate business decisions but I doubt that the offers from various teams will be that much different.

That being said, if we would call I wonder if playing with Revis would be something that is tempting for young defensive backs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ccaros-definitely-benched-this-week-inactive/

If Vaccaro is truly on the outs in NO (which could be the case if Rob Ryan gets dumped), I'd offer TB's early 4th for him. He would be tremendous playing a hybrid "star" role allowing the Pats to play a 4-2-1-4 big nickel "base". When you want a 2nd deep safety, Logan Ryan could be used in that role. A safety rotation of McCourty-Vaccaro-Ryan, with Wilson-Harmon-Exner as backups and Ryan also getting snaps at CB, would be pretty nice.

http://www.fanaticalyankee.com/2015-nfl-draft-scouting-reports/category/kenny vaccaro

Whether you call it a 2-4-5, a 4-2-5 with a zone blitz, or whatever else, using Vaccaro as the "free Gryphon" (as Grid calls it) or "star" or "stud" hybrid LB/S/slot CB role, would be a perfect fit for Vaccaro.

I would like to see them bring Vaccaro here and have him take over for that spot which I think has mostly been a mix match of Chung/Casillas. However, I can remember very few cases of BB letting the reins off certain players and allowing them to roam freely. Usually it is guys who are vets and have been in the system and/or can communicate effectively with other guys (Rodney Harrison, Bruschi, ect).

I am curious if BB would let a young player like Vaccaro roam who does not understand his system. It sounds like he is not very coachable from what you linked to so he might be a very all or nothing player in that regard. Personally I think he is more than worth a 4th round pick and BB needs to be more flexible in allowing his players to let loose a bit more. I am not sure BB will see it that way though.

He can be a bit too stubborn IMHO when it comes to "the system".

I would like to see them bring Vaccaro here and have him take over for that spot which I think has mostly been a mix match of Chung/Casillas. However, I can remember very few cases of BB letting the reins off certain players and allowing them to roam freely. Usually it is guys who are vets and have been in the system and/or can communicate effectively with other guys (Rodney Harrison, Bruschi, ect).

I am curious if BB would let a young player like Vaccaro roam who does not understand his system. It sounds like he is not very coachable from what you linked to so he might be a very all or nothing player in that regard. Personally I think he is more than worth a 4th round pick and BB needs to be more flexible in allowing his players to let loose a bit more. I am not sure BB will see it that way though.

He can be a bit too stubborn IMHO when it comes to "the system".

I think it's a fair bet that BB wouldn't bring in anyone to "freelance". He requires that players first master the fundamentals and fit within the system. But once they get that part down, I think he's willing to give a little leash to the special ones. I think Vaccaro could potentially fit within that structure.

Reiss notes that the Pats had 3 defenders in for tryouts today:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../patriots-have-three-defenders-in-for-tryouts

He notes that these could well be with a mind for putting together a 90-man roster for 2015. Of the 3, Rufus Johnson is intriguing - a 6'5" 270# guy drafted in the 6th round in 2013 by New Orleans, out of Division II Tarleton St. Similar to Zach Moore in terms of physical attributes:

- Zach Moore (div II Concordia): 6' 5 4/8" 269#; 4.79 40, 1.67 10 split, 4.46 SS, 7.41 3C; 33.5" VJ, 10'3" BJ, 23 reps BP
- Rufus Johnson (div II Tarleton St.): 6' 5 2/8" 272#; 4.75 40, 1.62 10 split, 4.56 SS, 7.43 3C; 34.5" VJ, 10'2" BJ, 20 reps BP

Danny Kelly, writing for the Fieldgulls site, noted prior to the 2013 draft:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft...awks-sleepers-de-rufus-johnson-tarleton-state

The Pats have subsequently signed all 3 of these guys - Cam Henderson to the Practice Squad, and today Antonio Johnson and Rufus Johnson to reserve/futures contracts:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...on-antonio-johnson-to-reservefuture-contracts

Some decent depth for training camp. Antonio Johnson is 6'3" 328# and has bounced around a bit. Rufus Johnson is somewhat intriguing, as previously discussed.

Continuing on the developmental players discussion, Dont'a Hightower had some nice things to say about Darius Fleming today, FWIW:

On Darius Fleming: “He’s come a long way from all the mishaps that he had early on in his career. I’m a nerd, but I think he might be a little bit worse than me. He’s a great guy. He’s smart – a little fidgety sometimes – but he’s a great player.”

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/12/donta_hightower_im_injured_but.html

The Saints just signed former NY Giant and 2008 1st round pick S Kenny Phillips:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/31/saints-sign-ex-giants-safety-kenny-phillips/

I think he's probably washed up, but it could be an interesting sign of exploring other safety options.

Boy I hope Easley turns out to be the real deal. With Collins' and Hightowers' emergence and Mayo's return this could be a fantastic defense. They are so close.... Hell even Wilson is coming around....

A nice read from Tom Curran (of all people) on the evolution of the "sub is the base" defense, with some good quotes from BB:

Since Bill Belichick’s been in control of the Patriots, their defense has gone from a 3-4 front to a 4-3 front to now being a defense that’s not distinguished by its front at all, really, but by the number and deployment of defensive backs on the field.

Belichick went into detail Wednesday about roster-building and weighing factors like supply and demand and offensive trends when putting together a defense. With running quarterbacks, spread offenses and receiver-friendly rules, has the back end of the defense become the focal point?

“I think that’s part of building your team is trying to anticipate where your team is going and – especially defensively – (where the league is going),” he explained. “How do you construct a defense to handle the different challenges that you have? If you look at the numbers statistically and the amount of five defensive backs that are on the field, you’ll see the numbers shift dramatically, especially this year. You can see a trend but there’s a spike. There’s very few teams – maybe four or five – that are under 50 percent nickel.

“So when you talk about, ‘What defensive system do you run?’ virtually every defense you play in the league is in nickel, five defensive backs. Five defensive backs, whatever version it is. There are five DBs, put it that way. Whatever the rest of it is, you can look at that separately. That’s certainly not the way it was 10 years ago. I’d say we were in the 30s, 30 percent, high-30s. Now that number is doubled. We’re almost, I think we’re in the 70 … to 75 percent range of nickel defense this year. Now you know, we’ve been ahead some, but we’ve also played a lot of multiple receiver teams.”

In essence, the discussion of whether a team is 4-3 or 3-4 is outdated. There are – especially with the Patriots – only two linebackers on the field for the vast majority of their defensive snaps. What kind of front do the Patriots use?

Generally, the Patriots have two defensive tackles and two standup defensive ends, two linebackers and five defensive backs. Other times, they will go with three down linemen but those could be a defensive tackle and two guys who came into the league as either outside linebackers or defensive ends – edge guys – but are playing down.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/patriots-defensive-evolution-constant

It's a 2-4-5 / 4-2-5 hybrid with lots of moving parts at all 3 levels of the defense:

Kevin Duffy at MassLive.com did a nice job taking one player – Chandler Jones – and showing how many different looks the Patriots give with him.

Jones isn’t the only player who can be tinkered with, though. Rob Ninkovich, Akeem Ayers and, to a small degree, Vince Wilfork, can play at the line of scrimmage or in the short-coverage area. Meanwhile, Tavon Wilson and Patrick Chung are safeties who can play at the linebacker level. And the linebackers – like Collins – can play at any level of the defense.

What this does to opposing offenses is not just identify alignments but identify identities. Breaking the huddle, the offense needs to determine if Chandler Jones is down in a three-point stance as a defensive tackle? He could drop in coverage. But Wilfork is on the field with Sealver Siliga, two DTs. So where’s Jones? Is he outside? Or is that Ayers? They play the same spot but play it differently. So how does the blocking scheme get communicated to the front? And is Donta Hightower rushing or in shallow coverage? Is Collins split out to cover? Is he on a tight end or a wideout? Where’s the weakness. Where’s Darrelle Revis?

Some really nice DL and EDGE players in this draft, with a few still undecided:

DT Eddie Goldman
[DT Malcolm Brown]
DT Jordan Phillips
DT/DE Carl Davis
[DE/DT DeForest Buckner]
DE/DT Mario Edwards
DE/DT Arik Armstead
DE/DT Marcus Hardison
EDGE Danielle Hunter
EDGE Max Valles
EDGE Bud Dupree
EDGE Dante Fowler
[EDGE Shilique Calhoun]
EDGE Owamagbe Odighizuwa
EDGE Noah Spence
EDGE Preston Smith
EDGE Marcus Golden
EDGE Corey Crawford
Off LB/EDGE Bernardrick McKinney

I think the Pats are 2 guys away from having as deep and talented a front 7 group as there is in the NFL. We currently have:

DT Vince Wilfork
DT Alan Branch (UFA)
DT Sealver Siliga (ERFA)
DT Chris Jones
DT/DE Dominique Easley
DE/DT Zach Moore
EDGE Chandler Jones
EDGE Rob Ninkovich
EDGE Akeem Ayers (UFA)
EDGE/ILB Dont'a Hightower
EDGE/ILB Jamie Collins
EDGE Michael Buchanan
EDGE Darius Fleming
Off LB Jerod Mayo
Off LB Jonathan Casillas (UFA)

Wilfork (33), Ninkovich (soon to be 31) and Branch (30) are the only guys over 30. Jerod Mayo (28) and Jonathan Casillas (27) are the only other guys over 25 Add 1 DT or DE/DT and 1 EDGE player, and the Pats have incredibly deep and talented group.

Last edited:
First piece of the puzzle is here. Chung extended for 3y with 3,4m guaranteed.

First piece of the puzzle is here. Chung extended for 3y with 3,4m guaranteed.

So much for my Kenny Vaccaro trade thought, which was always a moon shot. But I'm very happy with the Chung extension. I think that Chung and Tavon Wilson can make a nice tandem playing a hybrid star role. For situations where you want 2 deep safeties we have Logan Ryan. Now McCourty needs to be locked up.

BTW, if McCourty somehow doesn't get extended (which I think is very unlikely), then Ryan moves to FS full time and takes over that role. He's not as good as McCourty, but he has the skill set to play that role fairly well.

So much for my Kenny Vaccaro trade thought, which was always a moon shot. But I'm very happy with the Chung extension. I think that Chung and Tavon Wilson can make a nice tandem playing a hybrid star role. For situations where you want 2 deep safeties we have Logan Ryan. Now McCourty needs to be locked up.

BTW, if McCourty somehow doesn't get extended (which I think is very unlikely), then Ryan moves to FS full time and takes over that role. He's not as good as McCourty, but he has the skill set to play that role fairly well.

I understand what your saying but I really hope mccourty doesn't walk lol. He's so important to this team. And I'm not to familiar with the cap situation but do these moves make it unlikely to resign revis and others?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back