Welcome to PatsFans.com

My Blueprint for the Defense

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by mayoclinic, Feb 3, 2014.

1. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +376 / 68 / -50

No Jersey Selected

Easley & probably Wilfork are the only locks at DT, IMHO. Everybody else is playing for their jobs,
    including Kelly, Siliga, Jones & the Invisible Armstead. My guess is that 4 DTs, 4 DEs, and Easley
    (who could play both) are kept.

2. captain stone

Ratings:
    +376 / 68 / -50

No Jersey Selected

Impossible for me to agree with this statement more then I already do. Vellano absolutely sux.

3. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,809 / 10 / -7

I think Siliga is a lock because he played extremely well last year after being signed, and I think that the Pats will want a true NT in addition to Wilfork.

I don't have a low opinion of Jones at all. I like him, and I personally agree with you about Vellano. I'd personally take Jones over Vellano any day. But Reiss or someone did a defensive breakdown that showed that Jones was much weaker in run support than Vellano (I'll try to find it when I have time), and I'm simply entertaining the possibility that BB may see things differently than we do, as has happened in the past. I don't think any of the DTs should be considered a "lock" other than Easley and Wilfork, but again, that doesn't mean that I think poorly of Jones.

4. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,809 / 10 / -7

ESPN's KC Joyner believes that the Pats' secondary is poised to surpass Seattle's this season as the best in the NFL:

NFL - New England Patriots' secondary will surpass the Seattle Seahawks in 2014 - ESPN

It's Insider only content, but a good read. Of note:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marqui

Marqui In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +348 / 17 / -6

I don't know how convincing that argument is, he doesn't really discuss safety play which is where SEA has a huge advantage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,809 / 10 / -7

I agree in general that the Pats have a CB advantage going into this year, and Seattle has a safety advantage. Revis and Sherman are probably the 2 best CBs in the NFL. Maxwell may or may not be better than Browner at this point, but if he is the difference isn't that great. But Dennard, Ryan and Arrington are much more proven depth at this point than Lane and Simon (who I badly wanted the Pats to draft in 2013). That could easily change, especially if Simon develops - he reportedly had an outstanding spring.

At safety, though, it's hard to argue that Seattle doesn't have a huge advantage. As good as McCourty is, his ceiling at this point would be to become Earl Thomas, and Thomas has been playing at that level for several years, and we currently have no one close to Kam Chancellor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. captain stone

Ratings:
    +376 / 68 / -50

No Jersey Selected

We could've had someone close to Chancellor if instead of using his 5th-rounder in 2010 on a Punter
    who couldn't even finish his rookie contract here, Bill could've drafted Reshad Jones, the best Safety
    available at that point and one of the better players still available overall.
    The other guy I wanted at 150, on the offensive side, was Center (and BC's own) Matt Tennant,
    so I'm not going to pat myself on the back too hard here.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  8. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +472 / 1 / -1

Having him in 2012 would have been nice, but I'm perfectly okay with the Pats not being the team to give a $30M extension with $15M guaranteed to a guy who as of right now is a one year wonder. Dolphins fans were very excited to sign him to that extension after that great 2012 season, but I can't find anybody saying he lived up to that contract last season.

9. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,809 / 10 / -7

BB on Jerod Mayo:

Belichick on Jerod Mayo: He’s the guy that the team revolves around | ProFootballTalk

Awfully high praise, especially coming from someone who doesn't give it often.

10. captain stone

Ratings:
    +376 / 68 / -50

No Jersey Selected

High praise indeed, all of which I agree with. However, because he causes so very few TOs, he's just
    not an All-Pro-caliber elite LB. (I can still picture him bouncing off Russell Wilson in Seattle 2 years ago.) He's the best we have though, so having him all season (we hope) will certainly help.

11. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +277 / 10 / -3

Training camp reports indicate Revis is back to top form. Can't wait to see him on the good guys. The other guy I'm curious to see is Will Smith. Hoping Easley and Smith help the pass rush when we go nickel. Don't think they start. But, will have big roles if they can get after the qb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,809 / 10 / -7

From Reiss' quick hits:

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL, Patriots - espnBoston

3 major story lines to watch this year.

13. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +277 / 10 / -3

Hightower is a much better player the closer he is to the LOS. Glad to see he's being used like that. He was just as good a pass rusher as Courtney Upshaw on that great 2011 Alabama defense.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Marqui

Marqui In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +348 / 17 / -6

BTW, there's no way Hightower is 275 lbs this year. I saw the first full practice video someone put up on youtube and he looks 260 - 265 at most.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,809 / 10 / -7

Reiss' "first impression" of the defense, after a scant 4 practices:

First Patriots impressions: Let's talk D | espnBoston

Of course, it's early. And don't forget that Dee Milliner has declared himself the best CB in the NFL, and Calvin Pace has claimed that the Jets have the best defense.

16. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,809 / 10 / -7

Jeff Howe is very bullish on the Pats' LB corps:
    Patriots’ linebacker trio can do it all | Boston Herald

I hope so. I'm still not sold on Hightower, but I'm suspending doubt for now. And Ken has me sold on Darius Fleming as a potential 5th LB with a skill set that would fit nicely, if he can stay healthy.

• Like Like x 1
  17. captain stone

Ratings:
    +376 / 68 / -50

No Jersey Selected

With the re-signing of OLB James Morris from Iowa and the activation of Deonte Skinner, there are now 12 LBs in camp. Seems like an unusually large number considering that only 6 are likely to be kept.

Tony Pauline was very high on Morris before his senior season, James Morris - Iowa Hawkeyes - Rotoworld, so perhaps he could at least build his strength on the PS with 2015 in mind.

18. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,809 / 10 / -7

I've been hoping the Pats would re-sign Morris, who was cut for physical reasons. If he's healthy, he's got a nice skill set. I'm hoping that Darius Fleming will seize the 5th LB spot, but I'd love to see Morris on the PS, as you suggest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,809 / 10 / -7

OTG on the Worthy trade:

http://www.fanaticalyankee.com/patriots-pandemonium/patriots-trade-for-wolf-defender-jerel-worthy

Personally, I'm a huge fan of this trade, and I'm rooting hard for Worthy to make it, though I recognize that the kids has had issues and it may not happen. But despite some technique and effort questions, Worthy has real talent. He was mis-used in GB and had injuries. The light may never go on, but if it does and he proves coachable, then he could be a real steal. Combine Joe Vellano's grit and effort with Worthy's talent and you would really have something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,809 / 10 / -7

With the cuts today of Tommy Kelly, Will Smith, and James Anderson, the likely Pats' D is looking very young:

DT: Vince Wilfork (32), Dominique Easley (22), Sealver Siliga (24), Chris Jones (24), Jerel Worthy (24), Joe Vellano (25)
    DE: Chandler Jones (24), Rob Ninkovich (30), Michael Buchanan (23), Zach Moore (almost 24)
    LB: Jerod Mayo (28), Dont'a Hightower (24), Jamie Collins (24), Darius Fleming (25), Steve Beauharnais/James Morris (24/23)
    S: Devin McCourty (27), Duron Harmon (23), Pat Chung (27), Tavon Wilson (24), Nate Ebner (25)
    CB: Darrelle Revis (29), [Brandon Browner (30)], Alfonzo Dennard (almost 25), Kyle Arrington (28), Logan Ryan (23), Malcolm Butler (24)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1