PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

my blueprint for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
While you claim that Paxton going elsewhere isn't likely, you've got nothing to support that claim. And you've answered none of the questions I've asked. All of which are perfectly legitimate and relevant questions.

Why only sign a 1 year deal? The Patriots weren't hurting for money so lack of funds shouldn't have been the issue. Did Paxton want to look at his other options? Did the Patriots want to look at theirs? Were the Patriots upset with Paxton?

All of them are legitimate. And only Paxton or the Patriots can answer them.

I'm not arguing they're not legitimate questions. But, all of that said, which is more likely--that Paxton leaves, or that Paxton stays? Personally, I see no logical reason to assume he won't re-sign. If you want to believe otherwise, that's your right. [It's also your right to think I'm being naive, and it's my right to think you're being pessimistic.]

I'm not arguing they're not legitimate questions. But, all of that said, which is more likely--that Paxton leaves, or that Paxton stays? Personally, I see no logical reason to assume he won't re-sign. If you want to believe otherwise, that's your right. [It's also your right to think I'm being naive, and it's my right to think you're being pessimistic.]

CT -
Nice back-handed insults in your post. Not only did you call my questions illogical, you are claiming I am being pessimistic. I have news for you, NEITHER is the case.

It is not being pessimistic to question why Paxton wasn't given a longer deal. Its not pessimistic to wonder whether Paxton wants to stick around or go somewhere else.

And they are hardly not logical.

of course.....adjustments will likely be needed

free agency acquisitions:
OLB terrell suggs
WR shaun macdonald
S dawan landry
OT mark tauscher

draft:
1 - ILB brandon spikes
2a - OG/C jonathan luigs
2b - OLB connor barwon
3a - SS micheal hamlin
3b - RB devin moore
4 - SS chip vaughn
5 - TE ryan purvis
6 - DE will johnson

roster looks like:
QB - brady,o'connell,gutierrez
RB - maroney,morris,green-ellis,faulk,moore
WR - moss, welker, macdonald, washington, slater, aiken
TE - watson,thomas,purvis
OT - light,tauscher,kaczur,ocallaghan,levoir
OG - mankins, luigs, neal, hochstein
C - koppen
DE - seymour,wilfork,warren,wright,johnson,smith
LB - suggs, thomas, vrabel, barwin, crable, mayo, guyton, spikes, bruschi
DB - hobbs, meriweather, wheatley, wilhite, hamlin, vaughn, ventrone, jsanders, landry

ghostkowski, hanson

Dawan Landry is a RFA, so the Pats would be giving up a draft pick to sign him. I don't like not ignoring the CB position as I believe the Patriots need to acquire an established corner via free agency or trade. I am not sure Tauscher is enough of an uprgrade over Kaczur to justify giving him a big free agent deal. Love the Suggs and McDonald signings and I like a lot of your draft picks especially Spikes, Luigs, and Barwin.

CT -
Nice back-handed insults in your post. Not only did you call my questions illogical, you are claiming I am being pessimistic. I have news for you, NEITHER is the case.

It is not being pessimistic to question why Paxton wasn't given a longer deal. Its not pessimistic to wonder whether Paxton wants to stick around or go somewhere else.

And they are hardly not logical.

me said:
I'm not arguing they're not legitimate questions. But, all of that said, which is more likely--that Paxton leaves, or that Paxton stays? Personally, I see no logical reason to assume he won't re-sign.

Where did I say your questions are illogical? I simply said that personally, I don't arrive at the conclusion that Paxton is thinking about leaving.

And, last I checked, I said it's my right to think you're being pessimistic, regardless of whether you are or not, and it's your right to think I'm being naive (or a closet JETS fan, or whatever), whether I am or not.

All of that said, DaBruinz--if you took offense at any thing I said, I'm sorry. I will often call out ideas if I think they're wrong-headed or flat out wrong, but I try never to criticize fellow posters in public; you certainly didn't do anything to merit the latter.

tanked_as_usual--I'm sorry that I accidentally sent this thread down this road. For everybody's sake, I'll stay out of this thread.

Last edited:
Where did I say your questions are illogical? I simply said that personally, I don't arrive at the conclusion that Paxton is thinking about leaving.

And, last I checked, I said it's my right to think you're being pessimistic, regardless of whether you are or not, and it's your right to think I'm being naive (or a closet JETS fan, or whatever), whether I am or not.

CT - You saying that you see no logical reason for him to not re-sign with the Patriots says that the questions I brought up are illogical.

For the record, I didn't arrive at ANY conclusion regarding Paxton. All I did was arrive at potential possibilities.

All of that said, DaBruinz--if you took offense at any thing I said, I'm sorry. I will often call out ideas if I think they're wrong-headed or flat out wrong, but I try never to criticize fellow posters in public; you certainly didn't do anything to merit the latter.

tanked_as_usual--I'm sorry that I accidentally sent this thread down this road. For everybody's sake, I'll stay out of this thread.

CT - I apologize if I took what you said out of context. Its clear now that you didn't mean to.

Last edited:
I believe the price tag is a major part of that, but I also have this memory:I don't remember how that worked out, obviously nothing that has cost him playing time, but I think the combination of his legal history and high price tag, along with the number of OLB types on the roster, and the potential of losing cap space to a Cassel Franchise Tag, just makes for a lot of reasons to look elsewhere.

Box -
I appreciate you bringing that up. I did a search on it and this is what I found:

Scout.com: Terrell Suggs acquitted in felony assault trial
USATODAY.com - Baltimore's Terrell Suggs acquitted of assault charges

Even if he had been found guilty, its really no worse than what Meriweather did on the field.

But I can see the price tag being high..

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm curious why you think this, Box? Is it just the price tag?

Suggs would seem to fit at the OLB position for the Pats like a glove. He's still young and he's very talented. He'd upgrade this whole defense..

what was Suggs coming out of college? position?

This is my first post. I've been a patriots fan for over 30 years, have been a member for a while and have followed this board for much longer, but have never posted before. I've learned a lot from many of you. Thanks.

I like a lot of your offseason points, but don't see some happening. Suggs is probably too rich for our blood, and his productivity has been spotty, though BB was clearly a fan of his early on. Tauscher is reasonable, but we could probably do better spending the Suggs $$ on OL. I think Jordan Gross would be a great fit, could play either LT or RT allowing us to eventually move Light to RT and Kaczur as a backup or possibly guard. He has the size profile of a typical pats OL and the versatility that BB loves.

I love the Spikes pick but think there is a good chance he will be gone before we pick. Next to Aaron Curry he is my favorite pure LB coming out of the draft. I LOVE the Connor Barwin pick - he is the perfect pats type player: high motor, good character, intelligent, versatile. Has a lot of upside, as he is still fresh adapting from TE. There is a lot of Mike Vravel in him, but even more athletic ability and upside. At 6'4 255# he has great size. I think he could ultimately move inside at SILB and would be a great complement to Mayo. Mayo-Barwin-Guyton would be a tremendous ILB core for the next decade. Barwin could also move outside for pass rushing on occasion. His tight end background and intelligence probably would help him make the adjustment to playing in space and covering tight ends. After Curry he may be my favorite pick in the draft.

There are so many DE/OLB options in this draft, which is another reason that spending huge $$ on Suggs may not make sense, and why I don't favor going for Everett Brown or Brian Orapko in the first, even if we could get them. Eric Norwood and Sergio Kindle are both leaning towards declaring form what I can hear, and both would offer tremendous upside as OLB options along with Crable and Redd to season behind Thomas and Vrable. Both are likely second round picks. With two second round picks (not even counting if we get anything for Cassel), if we got an OT like gross in FA we could use our first rounder on DB (either Vontae Davis or DJ Moore at CB - Moore is a great patriots-type player - or William Moore at S who may fall given his poor senior season but who could be amazing opposite Meriweather if he loses 10-15 lbs.) and our 2 seconds on ILB/OLB depth such as Barwin and Kindle/Norwood.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure more experienced folks here have better insights.

what was Suggs coming out of college? position?

Suggs was a 4-3 DE coming out of college and that is the position he played during his first year in the league. 4-3 DE. Not 3-4 OLB..

Last edited:
This is my first post. I've been a patriots fan for over 30 years, have been a member for a while and have followed this board for much longer, but have never posted before. I've learned a lot from many of you. Thanks.

I like a lot of your offseason points, but don't see some happening. Suggs is probably too rich for our blood, and his productivity has been spotty, though BB was clearly a fan of his early on. Tauscher is reasonable, but we could probably do better spending the Suggs $$ on OL. I think Jordan Gross would be a great fit, could play either LT or RT allowing us to eventually move Light to RT and Kaczur as a backup or possibly guard. He has the size profile of a typical pats OL and the versatility that BB loves.

I love the Spikes pick but think there is a good chance he will be gone before we pick. Next to Aaron Curry he is my favorite pure LB coming out of the draft. I LOVE the Connor Barwin pick - he is the perfect pats type player: high motor, good character, intelligent, versatile. Has a lot of upside, as he is still fresh adapting from TE. There is a lot of Mike Vravel in him, but even more athletic ability and upside. At 6'4 255# he has great size. I think he could ultimately move inside at SILB and would be a great complement to Mayo. Mayo-Barwin-Guyton would be a tremendous ILB core for the next decade. Barwin could also move outside for pass rushing on occasion. His tight end background and intelligence probably would help him make the adjustment to playing in space and covering tight ends. After Curry he may be my favorite pick in the draft.

There are so many DE/OLB options in this draft, which is another reason that spending huge $$ on Suggs may not make sense, and why I don't favor going for Everett Brown or Brian Orapko in the first, even if we could get them. Eric Norwood and Sergio Kindle are both leaning towards declaring form what I can hear, and both would offer tremendous upside as OLB options along with Crable and Redd to season behind Thomas and Vrable. Both are likely second round picks. With two second round picks (not even counting if we get anything for Cassel), if we got an OT like gross in FA we could use our first rounder on DB (either Vontae Davis or DJ Moore at CB - Moore is a great patriots-type player - or William Moore at S who may fall given his poor senior season but who could be amazing opposite Meriweather if he loses 10-15 lbs.) and our 2 seconds on ILB/OLB depth such as Barwin and Kindle/Norwood.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure more experienced folks here have better insights.

Welcome to the board and its great hearing another viewpoint that is well thought out.

My question is this, though. Will Moore is 6' and 226 lbs. That is about an inch shorter than Rodney, but about the same weight. Why would you want Moore to loose weight? Why not plug him in at safety opposite Meriweather the way he is?

One of the things that makes Moore intriguing is that the Patriots would be able to do with their safeties, what they used to do with their linebackers. They'd be able to use either one to come up into the box to support the run. And both Moore and Meriweather are good enough to use in coverage.

I am leaning towards Moore with the Pats trading up to get him... Unless they feel he's the best value available in the 1st round.

This is my first post.

...but we could probably do better spending the Suggs $$ on OL.

Eric Norwood and Sergio Kindle are both leaning towards declaring form what I can hear, and both would offer tremendous upside as OLB options...
Greetings and welcome to the party!

As of the last day of 2008 I'm thinking NE's #24 is not likely to get Davis or Moore, and I need to read more about Davis' temperment before putting him on my board. I'm inclined to believe we'd need to draft Barwin there if BB seriously wanted him.

Norwood is my favorite to pair with Mayo at SILB, he's got the hands and the sand to hold up battling OL inside and I love his ball awareness and quickness.

I just don't see the "need" to spend much on the OL, though a best value pick would be welcomed for a versatile OL.

Greetings and welcome to the party!

As of the last day of 2008 I'm thinking NE's #24 is not likely to get Davis or Moore, and I need to read more about Davis' temperment before putting him on my board. I'm inclined to believe we'd need to draft Barwin there if BB seriously wanted him.

Norwood is my favorite to pair with Mayo at SILB, he's got the hands and the sand to hold up battling OL inside and I love his ball awareness and quickness.

I just don't see the "need" to spend much on the OL, though a best value pick would be welcomed for a versatile OL.

Box -
For the immediate future (next season), you are right that there isn't a lot of need. However, MG isn't too far off when he brings his concern about the future of the O-line up. Only Koppen, Connolly, and I think Wendell are signed beyond the end of the 2009 season.

Neal
is going to be 33 after next season and a UFA. There is no one in the pipeline behind him.

Light is going to be 31 after next season and is a UFA. While I have LaVoir as being capable of stepping in (he started 2 games at LT with Light out), you've cautioned me on that. So, the Pats don't have a LT.

Mankins is an RFA after the 2009 season as it stands right now. However, he COULD be a UFA if a new CBA is put into place and teams aren't given extra time to sign their players prior to free agency being opened.

Kaczur is an RFA after the 2009 season as it stands right now. However, like Mankins, he could be a UFA if a new CBA is put into place and teams aren't given extra time to sign their players prior to free agency being opened.

Britt hasn't progressed in 3 year and he is an RFA this year. O'Callaghan and LaVoir both have come in and pushed Britt back. I'm not sure how likely it is that the Pats Britt unless O'Callaghan's injury history forces him to retire.

O'Callaghan
will be an RFA after the 2009 season. He had a very bright future, but its been derailed by concussions O'Callaghan was very highly touted coming out of college, but fell to the 5th round because of injuries. He earned the starting nod over Britt when Kaczur was injured in 2006. And, its my believe that, had he been healthy, Britt would have been released this year.

Hochstein
is a UFA this year. He spent time as a TE and a FB besides being the reserve center. Injuries kept him from being the starting RG out of camp when Neal was hurt. Though he should be back, there are no guarantees. Particularly since he is 31.

Yates is an RFA after 2009, but he falls into the same category as Kaczur and Mankins in that he could be a UFA depending on the way the CBA falls. I am not terribly impressed by Yates a quality back-up C/G is definitely something the Pats need.

Last edited:
Thanks, and good points all. IF we spend money in FA, it seems to me the best targets are at CB and OL, with a more modest pick-up at WR. The draft is deep in OL, DB and LB (including DE/LB) prospects.

If we could get 2 out of Barwin-Norwood-Kindle to mix in at ILB/OLB, in addition to Mayo-Guyton-Crable-Redd and the veterans, then I think or LB core would be set for the next decade.

I'm not at all sure about Vontae Davis either, though he offers great physical ability. DJ Moore, on the other hand, seems to me comparable in style and ability (but more intelligent) to Leodis McKelvin last year, who went to Buffalo at #11, and I agree he is likely to make a big jump up draft boards with the combine if he comes out. I think he may be the best CB in the draft (including Davis and Jenkins) and would be great at 24 if he lasted that long. He has the fluid hips and versalitity which Belioli crave. Also, there are a lot of CB options in FA: Scrabble (obviously, but probably too $$); Dunta Robinson and Jabari Greer would be solid options; Richard Marshall is a RFA and may get too high a tender, and Carlos Rogers may be an option as well. Combine any one of them with Hobbs-Wheatley-Wilhite and we would be markedly improved over 2008. Given the youth of our secondary, BB may prefer bringing in a veteran CB to drafting another young one in the first 2 rounds.

I like your idea of picking up a medium-priced WR in FA. Shaun MacDonald would be fine. I also like the idea of Devery Henderson from New Orleans, who is 26 and has a lot of ability. He seems to me like he might be a more athletic version of Deion Branch and would be a good complement to Moss-Welker. Resign Gaffney at a reasonable rate and let him fight it out with Henderson or MacDonald for #3/#4 WR, and we would be set.

Another great patriots-type player who will likely be available in the second round or possibly even third is Patrick Chung - intelligent, high motor, durable, versatile.

Any way you look at it, the draft has a lot of options for the Pats. There are only 32 picks in each round no matter what, and it appears that there are too many good players for each round, so there will likely be first round talent available in the second and possible even third rounds.

MG's JANUARY 1 BLUEPRINT FOR THE OFFSEASON

1) Sign Practice Squad players (5 of 7 already done)
2) Franchise and trade Cassel for a 2010 pick.
3) Tender Woods (2nd or 3rd tier) and Britt (3rd tier)
4) Tender all the ERFA's
5) Re-sign Paxton, Evans, Hochstein, Hanson and Lew Sanders.
6) Re-sign Tank Williams, Seau, Colvin and/or Harrison if they are physically able and willing.
7) RE-SIGN WRIGHT
8) EXTEND WILFORK
9) Extend Green
10) Extend Mankins
11) Trade Seymour for a 2009 pick
12) Re-sign Gaffney or free agent equivalent
13) Re-sign James Sanders (the current captain of the secondary)
14) Sign the normal host of free agent defensive backs for camp.
15) Make ZERO major free agent acquisitions (I have used the cap money on extensions)
==================================
We are now ready for the draft. Presuming a second for Seymour and third for Samuel, we will have six picks of the top 100 (first three rounds).

When I see how much of the above happens, I will have a better idea of my draft priorities. If all this happens, I would be looking for a DE, OG, ILB, DB and a TE in the first three rounds, with all the emphasis on value rather than need. I think the team below can win the division and go deep into the playoffs without counting on rookies as major contributers.
OFFENSE (18)
QB (2) Brady, O'Connell
RB (3) Maroney, Faulk, Morris
WR (4) Moss, Welker, Gaffney/fa, Aiken
TE (2) Watson, Thomas
OL (7) Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur, Hochsein, Levoir

DEFENSE (19)
DL (5) Wilfork, Warren, Green, Wright, Smith
LB (7) Thomas, Vrabel, Woods, Mayo, Guyton, Bruschi, Colvin/Seau
DB (7) Hobbs, Wheatley, Wilhite, L Sanders, Meriweather, J. Sanders, Williams

SPECIALISTS (3)
K (1) Gostkowski
P (1) Hanson
DS (1) Paxton

SPECIAL TEAMERS (6)
ST (6) Evans, Washington, Slater, Ventrone, Spann, Redd

BACKUPS (7) often inactive
QB (1) Gutierrez
RB (1) BJGE
OL (2) Yates, Callaghan/Britt
TE (1) DeVree
LB (1) Crable
DL (1) Adams

PRACTICE SQUAD LEVEL PLAYERS
Ruud, Wendell, Connolly, Robertson, Malone, Craig

Last edited:
Box -
For the immediate future (next season), you are right that there isn't a lot of need. However, MG isn't too far off when he brings his concern about the future of the O-line up. Only Koppen, Connolly, and I think Wendell are signed beyond the end of the 2009 season.

Neal
is going to be 33 after next season and a UFA. There is no one in the pipeline behind him.

Light is going to be 31 after next season and is a UFA. While I have LaVoir as being capable of stepping in (he started 2 games at LT with Light out), you've cautioned me on that. So, the Pats don't have a LT.

Mankins is an RFA after the 2009 season as it stands right now. However, he COULD be a UFA if a new CBA is put into place and teams aren't given extra time to sign their players prior to free agency being opened.

Kaczur is an RFA after the 2009 season as it stands right now. However, like Mankins, he could be a UFA if a new CBA is put into place and teams aren't given extra time to sign their players prior to free agency being opened.

Britt hasn't progressed in 3 year and he is an RFA this year. O'Callaghan and LaVoir both have come in and pushed Britt back. I'm not sure how likely it is that the Pats Britt unless O'Callaghan's injury history forces him to retire.

O'Callaghan
will be an RFA after the 2009 season. He had a very bright future, but its been derailed by concussions O'Callaghan was very highly touted coming out of college, but fell to the 5th round because of injuries. He earned the starting nod over Britt when Kaczur was injured in 2006. And, its my believe that, had he been healthy, Britt would have been released this year.

Hochstein
is a UFA this year. He spent time as a TE and a FB besides being the reserve center. Injuries kept him from being the starting RG out of camp when Neal was hurt. Though he should be back, there are no guarantees. Particularly since he is 31.

Yates is an RFA after 2009, but he falls into the same category as Kaczur and Mankins in that he could be a UFA depending on the way the CBA falls. I am not terribly impressed by Yates a quality back-up C/G is definitely something the Pats need.

I agree with this, and think at OL is an important need for 2009. BB builds around his lines.

My personal take would be to sign/draft an young, franchise-caliber OT and then draft an OG/C for depth in the 3rd/4th round. Jordan Gross and Vernon Carey are the 2 options in FA. Gross seems to be a better fit to our size profile and offers more LT/RT versatility. Gross/Light, with Levoir/Kaczur as backups, would be a solid foursome. OT seems to be highly valued in the draft and a big need, so I doubt that any of Andre Smith-Michael Oher-Eugene Monroe-Jason Smith would fall to us at 24. Eben Britten would be a solid pick at 24 if he declares, but I don't think we can count on it. Russell Okung and Ciron Black are options but both are juniors who may not declare, and its not clear either is worthy of a first round pick.

I think that Levoir has been a great find this year, and has clearly pushed Britt out. O'Callaghan is a question mark. He showed great promise but then regressed and has been injury prone. It's also not clear whether he wouldn't be a better option at RG.

I very much wanted us to draft Roy Schuening from Oregon St. last year. He was considered a possible first day pick but slipped to the 5th round and went to the Rams. I would much preferred us to trade up for him than to have drafted Slater in the fifth. There are a lot of guard/center options in this draft, and someone is likely to fall out of the first day. I love the versatility of Max Unger and the intelligence of Alex Mack, though both are probably second round picks right now.

IF (big if) we could resign Mankins and Kaczur, move Kaczur or O'Callaghan to RG to replace an aging Neal, and draft a young OG/C, then it seems to me we would be in pretty good shape with our interior OL. Hochstein can probably be resigned but is 31 and is not a critical signing if we can get a young OG/C option. Yates is JAG and hasn't shown anything.

However, MG isn't too far off when he brings his concern about the future of the O-line up. Only Koppen, Connolly, and I think Wendell are signed beyond the end of the 2009 season.

Neal
is going to be 33 after next season and a UFA. Barring another major injury, Neal still has a few years left. I do want someone in the pipeline to back him, but it's not that critical since Kaczur could slide in and LeVoir take RT with very little drop off on the right side.

O'Callaghan
Actually O'C was playing 'behind' Britt, but I do expect Britt to be released to UFA or offered a one year vet minimum.

The reason I don't worry as much about Light, Kaczur, Mankins, and Koppen - each started as rookies. I also expect each to re-sign, and I expect BB to bring in a replacement as needed. I can't say that I see any Damian Woodys on this line; Koppen and Light both re-signed once with a hometown discount. I just think the bearded brothers are satisfied with their unit and inclined to play together as long as possible.

If an Unger or a Woods are Best Patriot Value, then go for it, but it's not a "need" the way a reserve NT or a DE to groom would be given the transition time.

:)
Are you fine with the rest of the plan?
Do you think that we can afford to extend Seymour, Wilfork, Green, Wright and Mankins?
Do you see the patriots offering Seymour a 5 year extension at top money?

Just say "no" to drugs, seriously Mark. :nono:

Actually O'C was playing 'behind' Britt, but I do expect Britt to be released to UFA or offered a one year vet minimum.

Which year was O'Call behind Britt?
The reason I don't worry as much about Light, Kaczur, Mankins, and Koppen - each started as rookies. I also expect each to re-sign, and I expect BB to bring in a replacement as needed. I can't say that I see any Damian Woodys on this line; Koppen and Light both re-signed once with a hometown discount. I just think the bearded brothers are satisfied with their unit and inclined to play together as long as possible.

Koppen only started because of the injury to Woody. Koppen didn't start out of TC... Light didn't start out of TC either, for that matter. Yes, it only took a couple of games for BB to throw him into the LT spot full-time, but it wasn't immediate.

Mankins and Kaczur both started out of TC....

If an Unger or a Woods are Best Patriot Value, then go for it, but it's not a "need" the way a reserve NT or a DE to groom would be given the transition time.

To a point, I agree with this.

:)
Are you fine with the rest of the plan?
Do you think that we can afford to extend Seymour, Wilfork, Green, Wright and Mankins?
Do you see the patriots offering Seymour a 5 year extension at top money?
1) Sign Practice Squad players (5 of 7 already done) check
2) Franchise and trade Cassel for a 2010 pick. check
3) Tender Woods (2nd or 3rd tier) and Woods (3rd tier) Uh, how many Woods do we have again?
4) Tender all the ERFA's check
5) Re-sign Paxton, Evans, Hochstein, Hanson and Lew Sanders. check
6) Re-sign Tank Williams, Seau, Colvin and/or Harrison if they are physically able and willing. Williams, maybe. Harrison, maybe. Seau, no. Colvin, maybe.
7) RE-SIGN WRIGHT check
8) EXTEND WILFORK check
9) Extend Green check
10) Extend Mankins check
11) Trade Seymour for a 2009 pick extend
12) Re-sign Gaffney or free agent equivalent I'd like to use this slot for a draft WR to groom behind Moss.
13) Re-sign James Sanders (the current captain of the secondary) check
14) Sign the normal host of free agent defensive backs for camp. check
15) Make ZERO major free agent acquisitions (I have used the cap money on extensions) check
We are now ready for the draft. Presuming a ..... third for Samuel, we will have 5 picks of the top 100 (first three rounds).

When I see how much of the above happens, I will have a better idea of my draft priorities. If all this happens, I would be looking for a DE, OG, ILB, DB and a TE in the first three rounds, with all the emphasis on value rather than need. I think the team below can win the division and go deep into the playoffs without counting on rookies as major contributers.

As things currently stand, I believe a good DE candidate can be found Day Two, same for TE, OG, and S. If you want a CB, then try to get one early.

If Wright can be re-signed, then this draft can be used to shop for high value playmakers. LB, CB, S, TE, OL, WR, DL in no particular order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back