- Any of Goldman, Brown or Phillips could slip
- Carl Davis
- Arik Armstead
- Michael Bennett
- Henry Anderson
- Mario Edwards
- Xavier Cooper
- Marcus Hardison

Different styles. I'm not sure that Hardison has leapfrogged Amstead, Davis or Anderson as a 5-tech prospect, or Bennett or Cooper as a 3-Tech. He may end up doing so, but it's a bit early to tell, IMO.

I didn't say he had. It's called speculating, a common theme at this time of year.

I didn't say he had. It's called speculating, a common theme at this time of year.

I was responding to your speculation, that's all. There was no acrimony intended.

Along with Leonard Williams and Danny Shelton, the above list makes about 12 DT/DEs that could go in the first 2 rounds, and I wouldn't be shocked if I've omitted one or two (Grady Jarrett, for example). There's obviously a risk that any team could fall in love with one guy and take him earlier than expected. It wouldn't shock me if a team ahead of 64 falls in love with Hardison, but given the depth and comparable talent, as of right now I would guess that there's a good chance he'll last to 64. A lot can change in 6+ weeks.

On a slightly tangential note, I think the Pats are pretty good at reading the tea leaves about other teams' interest in a potential target. I'm pretty sure that Logan Mankins, Dominique Easley and Tavon Wilson would all have gone pretty quickly if the Pats had passed on them.

Regardless, if the Pats thought that Hardison would go higher than 64 then I hope they would trade up. I think he's well worth it.

I was responding to your speculation, that's all. There was no acrimony intended.

Along with Leonard Williams and Danny Shelton, the above list makes about 12 DT/DEs that could go in the first 2 rounds, and I wouldn't be shocked if I've omitted one or two (Grady Jarrett, for example). There's obviously a risk that any team could fall in love with one guy and take him earlier than expected. It wouldn't shock me if a team ahead of 64 falls in love with Hardison, but given the depth and comparable talent, as of right now I would guess that there's a good chance he'll last to 64. A lot can change in 6+ weeks.

On a slightly tangential note, I think the Pats are pretty good at reading the tea leaves about other teams' interest in a potential target. I'm pretty sure that Logan Mankins, Dominique Easley and Tavon Wilson would all have gone pretty quickly if the Pats had passed on them.

Regardless, if the Pats thought that Hardison would go higher than 64 then I hope they would trade up. I think he's well worth it.

I agree. The reason I posited the 49ers in the 2nd round is that he'd be an ideal Smith replacement, they showed interest in him at the pro day and he fits their profile of picking high upside prospects. But they could easily grade him as a third rounder. I see the mid-second as the top of his potential range and the bottom of the third being his floor. Hopefully things will become clearer in the next month.

I wonder if a dt will be available at 32 that will interest bb.

I still think bb trades out of round 1.

Interesting fact.

DeAndre smelter has 11 INCH HANDS. That gives him the largest hands of any pass catcher in the NFL. 1/4, inch bigger then Gronk, a full 1/2 in bigger then Fitzgerald, and a full inch bigger then the second wave of receivers with large hands. That's ridiculous! Those aren't hands, those are mitts.

Screen Shot 2015-03-06 at 6.38.00 PM.png

Smelter's hands were well commented on by many at the combine. Massive. Lance Zierlein's comparison to Eric Decker is also very interesting. FWIW, here's a recent profile on Smelter from Steeler's Depot:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/03/2015-nfl-draft-player-profiles-georgia-tech-wr-deandre-smelter/

BTW, I had a hard time not including Smelter with Hardison and Marpet in the OP. I want him badly. But I think you need to limit the targets that you really want to focus on, or you get too locked in.

Smelter's hands were well commented on by many at the combine. Massive. Lance Zierlein's comparison to Eric Decker is also very interesting. FWIW, here's a recent profile on Smelter from Steeler's Depot:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/03/2015-nfl-draft-player-profiles-georgia-tech-wr-deandre-smelter/

BTW, I had a hard time not including Smelter with Hardison and Marpet in the OP. I want him badly. But I think you need to limit the targets that you really want to focus on, or you get too locked in.

Putting value aside, I don't know who i'd want more, Smelter or McBride. McBride is the more dynamic but Smelter is the bigger (and those hands!). I lean towards Smelter because I think he's the better fit. I like him as a Lafell backup, he could play the slot and be a blocker and can be a legit outside receiver in his own right.

1. Smelter
2. McBride
3. Kenny Bell

for me.

Putting value aside, I don't know who i'd want more, Smelter or McBride. McBride is the more dynamic but Smelter is the bigger (and those hands!). I lean towards Smelter because I think he's the better fit. I like him as a Lafell backup, he could play the slot and be a blocker and can be a legit outside receiver in his own right.

1. Smelter
2. McBride
3. Kenny Bell

for me.

Those are my 3 guys too at WR, probably in that order. Smelter is my clear #1 - I think he's got the potential to be an impact split end. McBride and Bell is a tough one to call. McBride seems a bit more dynamic, as you say; but Bell brings toughness and ST capability. I'd be thrilled with any of them.

I read that earlier today over at steelers depot. Just look at the comment section. Everyone thinks there is no way they draft a WR they would have to redshirt. Ive even seen a little talk about him over on one of the Seattle draft blogs.

I have a feeling everyone is being hush hush about him. Think he'll go to the 5th round. With franchise tagging DT, maybe Denver has there eye on him, hopefully not though. Its more realistic that Josh Mcdaniels has a eye on him seeing he was the one who drafted Demaryius Thomas out of GT. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Those are my 3 guys too at WR, probably in that order. Smelter is my clear #1 - I think he's got the potential to be an impact split end. McBride and Bell is a tough one to call. McBride seems a bit more dynamic, as you say; but Bell brings toughness and ST capability. I'd be thrilled with any of them.

Same 3 here. I think its been those 3 for me from the day I joined. I like McBride over Bell too. That body control, and those hands are amazing. Hopefully we some how walk out of the draft with two of them, that would be awesome!

I had a very hard time avoiding the "Malefischirtz list" phenomenon:
"I'm not afraid of you kids or your monsters. In fact, I am not afraid of anything! Ha! Except, you know, unicorns, but other than that, nothing! Just unicorns and... and whales. That's... That's a given, everyone's afraid of whales. And squid. Uh, Unicorns, whales, and squid, and... and Pegasuses. That's it! Pegasuses, whales, unicorns, squid, scorpions, barnacles—You know, I should really make a list. And girls. I used to be terrified of girls but I sort of got over that. (The genetically twisted Candavere appears behind him) Now it's just, you know, like, sort of a mild anxiety. So just to recap: girls, whales, squid-- (Notices that everyone is looking towards the sky) Hey, what's everyone looking at?"

Because I had to resist the temptation in the OP to says something like this:
"What I really want in this draft is Marcus Hardison and Ali Marpet on day 2. That's it. Except, maybe Todd Gurley if he slips to the end of round 1. Thats ... Thats's a given, everyone would take Todd Gurley if he slipped to the end of round 1. Or Bud Dupree - though Danielle Hunter would be fine if he slipped, too, or Max Valles on day 3. And DeAndre Smelter. That's it. Just Gurley (or Dupree, or Hunter if he slips, or else Valles) and Hardison and Marpet and Smelter. And Tre McBride or Kenny Bell. Uh, Gurley (or Dupree) and Hardison and Marpet and Smelter. And Jake Fisher if he's available in the 2nd round. - You know, I should really make a list. So just to recap: Gurley (or Dupree, or Hunter if he slips, or Valles on day 3) and Hardison and Marpet, and maybe Fisher, and Smelter, and McBride or Bell. Oh, and Nick Marshall or Josh Shaw. But that's really it. I think. Unless we don't re-sign Darrelle Revis, in which case I really want Byron Jones."

It gets unworkable pretty fast.

Last edited:
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no... amongst our weapons.... amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again. (exit and exeunt)

Smelter better keep those hands in his pockets while wearing those white gloves lest he wants to get sued by Hamburger Helper for copyright infringement.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back