PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My 7 round pats mock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickw308810

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Using the 3/18 version of Patsnut's draft game, here is what I came up with:

Figured it was different enough to warrant it's own thread to get some discussion, but Mod's can merge if they'd like!

Let me know what you think!

*Trades*
22 to Baltimore for 25 and 152 - Baltimore has made some good moves this offeseason and I could see them jumping up a few spots in the draft to make sure they secure the final piece to the puzzle, whoever that may be (sean weatherspoon?)
44 and 116 to Oakland for 38 - Raiders stocking up picks
53 to Kansas City for 66 and 99 - Chiefs jump up to secure D help
152 and 215 to Kansas City for 141 - Pioli and us at it again, they add a 7th

25 - Carlos Dunlap OLB - UF - HUGE risk, but will be used as 4-3 DE while he develops at OLB. With his athleticism could turn into a 3 down player and stud special teamer. Is he a bad kid or just young and immature?

38 - Jared Odrick DE - Penn State - Obviously need help on the line. I think enough has been said about why we could use this guy.

48 - Rodger Saffold OG/OT - Indiana - could compete for multiple spots right away and/or be a replacement for an aging Light/Neal.

66 - Arrelious Benn WR - Illinois - Not necessarily my favorite WR in the draft, but has the skills to possibly develop into a number 1 and gives us some flexibility in the future. Brings something different to the table.

99 - Greg Hardy OLB - Ole Miss - Another big risk, and a lot of people are down on him, but the value is outstanding. It seems that any DE making the switch to OLB in our system is going to take some time, so why not get a guy who when healthy, can be an absolute beast.

141 - Tony Moeaki TE - Iowa - nice pass catching TE, obvious need.

180 - Charles Scott RB - LSU - ran a 4.53 on his pro day and looked very agile. A big back who could come in and pound the ball as he proved in the toughest conference in football.

213 - Micah Johnson ILB - Kentucky - Absolutely love this kid, great value here and would give us a great group of young ILBs. Also could line up and play some FB. A definite risk worth taking. Big, strong, and physical, is there really a 5 round difference between him and Brandon Spikes?

253 - Deji Karim RB - SIU - Good athlete and showed that he can produce, more young legs to compete with the old guys.

254 - Jameson Konz FB - Kent State - I'm always interested in a versatile super-freak athlete. Could he play RB, HBack, FB, TE, WR, Big SS (Tank Williams esque) and be a beast on special teams?

255 - Jim Dray TE - Stanford - Solid blocker, more depth needed.

256 - Robert Malone P - Fresno State - Need a punter!

well done on the mock draft.

the only change I would make is Odrick and saffold. both needs however do not like either player. *no offense*

other picks are great.. Benn and Moekai both steals of the draft.

Couple of points:

- I think there is almost no chance Odrick makes it to #38. His floor is probably Indy at #31.

- You got Hardy AND Micah Johnson? They would have to be the slowest inside-outside linebacker combination in the draft. Not sure slowing down the defense is on the to-do list.

- The RBs are good values but who goes to make room for them?

Not the way I would go, but that probably works in your favor. Please get some more speed at LB so I don't have visions of Hardy/Johnson lumbering around trying to tackle someone they can't reach.

don't think odrick will be there at #38.
Maybe switch the spots between Dunlap & Odrick? Will Dunlap be there at 38?
Hardy at 99 is a bit optimistic too imo.

This time of year is when boards start to shift around a lot. In particular, 3-4 DL prospects like Odrick are significantly underrated by early rankings year after year after year. Like Metaphors, I'd be shocked to see Odrick still available in the 2nd.

Karim is another player the rankings haven't quite caught up with yet. Now that his measurables show that his amazing productivity wasn't just about the weak competition, he's quite likely a 3rd/4th-rounder. (I like him a lot, he hits top gear very compactly.)

IMHO-

No way Benn lasts until 66, his name is getting too much play.

Odrick would have to be taken in the 1st. Trading down a few spots he might still be there. He sounds like (I've only seen him play twice) a cross between Seymour and Green - just what we need up front.

I'm with you on the RB's. I see at least two being drafted/signed, one pretty high.

I appreciate your thoughtful effort at the mock.

Last edited:

Figured it was different enough to warrant it's own thread to get some discussion, but Mod's can merge if they'd like!

*Trades*
22 to Baltimore for 25 and 152 - Baltimore has made some good moves this offeseason and I could see them jumping up a few spots in the draft to make sure they secure the final piece to the puzzle, whoever that may be (sean weatherspoon?)

25 - Carlos Dunlap OLB - UF - HUGE risk, but will be used as 4-3 DE while he develops at OLB. With his athleticism could turn into a 3 down player and stud special teamer. Is he a bad kid or just young and immature?

38 - Jared Odrick DE - Penn State - Obviously need help on the line. I think enough has been said about why we could use this guy.

48 - Rodger Saffold OG/OT - Indiana - could compete for multiple spots right away and/or be a replacement for an aging Light/Neal.

66 - Arrelious Benn WR - Illinois - Not necessarily my favorite WR in the draft, but has the skills to possibly develop into a number 1 and gives us some flexibility in the future. Brings something different to the table.

99 - Greg Hardy OLB - Ole Miss - Another big risk, and a lot of people are down on him, but the value is outstanding. It seems that any DE making the switch to OLB in our system is going to take some time, so why not get a guy who when healthy, can be an absolute beast.

180 - Charles Scott RB - LSU - ran a 4.53 on his pro day and looked very agile. A big back who could come in and pound the ball as he proved in the toughest conference in football.

213 - Micah Johnson ILB - Kentucky - Absolutely love this kid, great value here and would give us a great group of young ILBs. Also could line up and play some FB. A definite risk worth taking. Big, strong, and physical, is there really a 5 round difference between him and Brandon Spikes?

253 - Deji Karim RB - SIU - Good athlete and showed that he can produce, more young legs to compete with the old guys.

254 - Jameson Konz FB - Kent State - I'm always interested in a versatile super-freak athlete. Could he play RB, HBack, FB, TE, WR, Big SS (Tank Williams esque) and be a beast on special teams?

Nice job Cousin. Hard work there.
I like the intrigue of the Trades. I an not a fan of some of those players.
These picks are decent:

48 - Rodger Saffold OG/OT - Indiana - could compete for multiple spots right away and/or be a replacement for an aging Light/Neal. Little too high!

99 - Greg Hardy OLB - Ole Miss - Another big risk, and a lot of people are down on him, but the value is outstanding. It seems that any DE making the switch to OLB in our system is going to take some time, so why not get a guy who when healthy, can be an absolute beast.Could be a steal if he has a chip on his shoulder.

254 - Jameson Konz FB - Kent State - I'm always interested in a versatile super-freak athlete. Could he play RB, HBack, FB, TE, WR, Big SS (Tank Williams esque) and be a beast on special teams? Like this kid a lot.

DW Toys

Love it, a whole lot a RB but who cares, nice job.

I don't think Odrick or Benn will last that long. But if they do, it would be nice to get them.
Not a big fan of Dunlap in the 1st because of his character issues.

Last edited:
We should go whole hog and take Ryan Matthews in the 4th, Vince Cody in the 6th, and Rolando McClain, Golden Tate, Joe Haden, and Jerry Hughes with our sevenths.

Just good-natured ribbing. I think it's virtually impossible for Odrick and Benn to fall as low as you have them, barring some scandal breaking.

And with Dunlop and Hardy, we're one Ciron Black away from cinching the all-apathetic award.

I think you did great with the last four picks, though.

7-rounders are hard work. Hopefully I'll have the time to do my fifth-annual this year, so you can rip me in kind.

Good effort.

Last edited:

*Trades*

I really like your late round picks, I've got Konz in my mock that I'm working on, too. Your early rounds need some work though. I'm hoping that Odrick makes it down to 38 but that would take a miracle or a DUI or something.

Thanks everyone for the input. I agree and would be surprised to see Odrick and Benn that low, but I will say that all the picks fell within the rules of PatsNut's draft game (being able to pick a player rated 5 spots higher).

According to NFL Draft Scout, which isn't the end-all be-all by any means, they have Dunlap at 25, Odrick at 35, Saffold at 51, Benn at 73, Hardy at 107, Moeaki -139, Scott - 183, Johnson -217, Karim 252, Konz 254, Dray 276 and Malone 311.

I loaded up on RBs in the 6th and 7th round since that was the one need I really didn't meet higher in the draft, so I figured I'd grab a couple to battle for the same spot than just put that much hope on such a late pick. I still believe that both Maroney and Taylor will be on the team next year and one will be our feature back. Could two rookies take Morris and BJGE spot? It would be a fun battle to watch.

I think what this showed is that with the amount of picks that we have and if we can find willing trade partners, we can move around and really fill a lot of needs and grab a lot of players we like, whoever they may be. I'm excited for the draft already.

Any mock that has the Pats taking Hardy is good with me.
I'd take Corey Wooten over Dunlap though. I REALLY don't like Dunlap. Has bust written all over him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye