PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My 2 cents...late night edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have purposely avoided most of the media madness about this affair. I haven't watched ESPN once, nor the NFLN, or HBO's football show. I just want this to be over....and it will be, soon after Sunday's game. However until then we just have to bear up, just like our team.

During this week, I have been at times embarassed for my team for being in this situation. I have been angry at the gross hypocracy practiced by the both the media and a good many coaches and NFL players (which surprised me) who just piled on because they couldn't beat us on the field. I have been disappointed to have to hear my team linked to such negative press over what amounts to a differing interpretation of the rules. I am positively IRATE about losing that draft pick. Here are some things I think I think (with apologies to Peter King)

1. On the positive side - If there was ever a team culture that THRIVED on the "its US against the WORLD" mentality its the Patriots. This week has firmly put our team IN THE BUNKER. Teams have come out and told our players, we don't believe that you can beat us without "cheating". They have humiliated their coach and demeaned their accomplishments. BOTTOM LINE: They have a lot to prove and they are going to have to hear sh!t and wear a "scarlet letter" all season. There is only ONE thing that will wash this away....and that is forcing Goodell to hand the Lombardi Trophy to Bill Bellichick in Febuary.

Before this event I was worried a bit about the ability of this team to respond week to week as the favorite. I don't have thatfear anymore.

2. I stopped listening to the media as soon as I heard Mark Schlerith (a guy I usually like) make the statement that the Pats should forfeit the Jet game for cheating. All I could think about was. Sure Mark, the Pats will forfeit the game, just as soon as your Denver team sends back their 2 Lombardis that they won while CHEATING badly on on the cap. And Mark, don't forget to send back YOUR Superbow ring back while your at it.

3. Bill will get NO MERCY from any of the media...including the Boston media. There is no question that his reticence makes their lives more difficult, and there is no group more VINDICTIVE than the local media, many who think the games are being played for THEIR benifit. In their minds its ALL ABOUT THEM. There used to be an old saying about BOSTON. Its 2 favorite passtimes are Politics and REVENGE. ;)

4. The Jets were wiped out 38-14 last Sunday. Raise your hands if you think its going to be worse the next time. OK put your hands down. The next question is, what is the over/under on whether Eric Mangini EVER beats BB again while he's in NY. Talk about biting the hand that fed you????? :rolleyes:. He'd better be a genius or he'll be lucky to see his 5th season as a HC. Personally I see him gone after 4 years, a failed one and done HC with no second chances.

5. I was feeling pretty good about this weeks game BEFORE all this hit. Though I think in the long run (this year) it will help the team focus and concentrate on the field, I wonder about the massive distractions on both the players AND coach THIS week. See the Buffalo opener 2003. By next week, the media may still be on the story, but the coaches and players will have their blinders on, but this week, I'm concerned.

On the other hand, because the Players know that if they lose, they are going to hear that they can't win without cheating, they might just go out and destroy the Chargers...they better.

6. Here is what IS NOT being said about this situation. It is NOT against the rules to try and steal an opposing teams signals. In fact, its an obligation that a staff do everything in their power to get that information. So most of this moral outrage is such pure BS. If the Pats were overly zealous in their pursuit of this "obligation" then punish them, but for gods sake let the punishment fit the crime.

I'm ok with a fine for the team and the HC (because that's where the buck stops), and how much is kind of meaningless because the team AND BB can well afford it. HOWEVER losing a first round draft pick is a HUGE over kill. Compared to what Denver and SF did when THEY circumvented the cap rules so blatently that Tags HAD to do something about it, even though he didn't want to. It was that blatent. Its like giving someone 5 years for murder, and then hanging the next guy for embezzelment.

I have a question. Is there any chance the Pats can appeal and get back the pick? Is this FINAL. If it is, then its a travesty.

7. I don't think that the Pats will be the last team to face Goddell's "moral wrath" on this issue. WE know that there are OTHER teams who have been stretch the rules sideline spying and other assorted mistameanors. THEY WILL come out, and it will be interesting to see what the commissioner does THIS time. The local media isn't the only Vindictive parties here. BB and Bob Kraft didn't get to where they are because they forgave people who F#cked them over. But I bet we will have to wait before we see the consequences, because Revenge is best served cold

8. Has there been anything further on the picture of the Jet employee on the Pats sideline. Over at JI they are dismissing it as a photoshop job. Did any of the media hoard mention it. Like I said I haven't been following closely.

9. Thanks to all for letting me get this out. Its been a tough time for all of us, butwhen the season is over, all those fans piling on that we have to deal with NOW, will have to think of NEW excuses for why their teams fail to match the Excellence of the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS.

Dude-cheating or no, this is all going to be forgotten by next month.

Who knows what's the next "scandal" is? Maybe TO pulls a Chris Benoit and turns on his family and himself? The media(yes, including CNN/MSNBC/FOX) will be jumping ALL over this, which will make everything else an afterthought.

What the Patriots should do is take this to court, and they should get the NFLPA on their side since a player that should be receiving first round money will now end up losing that and having to take second round money.

What the Patriots should do is take this to court, and they should get the NFLPA on their side since a player that should be receiving first round money will now end up losing that and having to take second round money.

That's an interesting point, I never thought of. If Goodell gets his way, there will be no 32nd pick.

I like reading patfanken's posts. The guy leads the league in average words per post.

edit: his avg just dropped with his post above. the distance has been narrowed!

Last edited:
That's an interesting point, I never thought of. If Goodell gets his way, there will be no 32nd pick.

Exactly. Go back and look to the stories about the loss of picks for Denver and I believe that you'll find that the NFLPA was involved in the agreed upon penalties. Sadly, this current incident is just further evidence of the weakness of the NFLPA leadership under the recent CBA, as nothing has been done about a player losing out on millions of dollars over the course of his contract. Remember, this move lowers each and every player's contract value by one space on the ladder. Assuming arguendo that the order of the players drafted doesn't change, the guy who would have been drafted 32 in the first round is now 1st in the second round, the guy who would have been drafted 1st in the second round now gets 2nd player in the second round money, and so on. This impacts all the way down to the final pick in the draft, where the annual "Mr. Irrelevant" won't even get drafted.

All the people clamoring for the Patriots to lose a draft pick are also, in effect, clamoring for future NFL players, who were not in any way involved in the situation, to lose money.

Last edited:
I have purposely avoided most of the media madness about this affair. I haven't watched ESPN once, nor the NFLN, or HBO's football show. I just want this to be over....and it will be, soon after Sunday's game. However until then we just have to bear up, just like our team.

During this week, I have been at times embarrassed for my team for being in this situation. I have been angry at the gross hypocracy practiced by the both the media and a good many coaches and NFL players (which surprised me) who just piled on because they couldn't beat us on the field. I have been disappointed to have to hear my team linked to such negative press over what amounts to a differing interpretation of the rules. I am positively IRATE about losing that draft pick. Here are some things I think I think (with apologies to Peter King)

1. On the positive side - If there was ever a team culture that THRIVED on the "its US against the WORLD" mentality its the Patriots. This week has firmly put our team IN THE BUNKER. Teams have come out and told our players, we don't believe that you can beat us without "cheating". They have humiliated their coach and demeaned their accomplishments. BOTTOM LINE: They have a lot to prove and they are going to have to hear sh!t and wear a "scarlet letter" all season. There is only ONE thing that will wash this away....and that is forcing Goodell to hand the Lombardi Trophy to Bill Bellichick in Febuary.

Before this event I was worried a bit about the ability of this team to respond week to week as the favorite. I don't have thatfear anymore.

2. I stopped listening to the media as soon as I heard Mark Schlerith (a guy I usually like) make the statement that the Pats should forfeit the Jet game for cheating. All I could think about was. Sure Mark, the Pats will forfeit the game, just as soon as your Denver team sends back their 2 Lombardis that they won while CHEATING badly on on the cap. And Mark, don't forget to send back YOUR Superbow ring back while your at it.

3. Bill will get NO MERCY from any of the media...including the Boston media. There is no question that his reticence makes their lives more difficult, and there is no group more VINDICTIVE than the local media, many who think the games are being played for THEIR benifit. In their minds its ALL ABOUT THEM. There used to be an old saying about BOSTON. Its 2 favorite passtimes are Politics and REVENGE. ;)

4. The Jets were wiped out 38-14 last Sunday. Raise your hands if you think its going to be worse the next time. OK put your hands down. The next question is, what is the over/under on whether Eric Mangini EVER beats BB again while he's in NY. Talk about biting the hand that fed you????? :rolleyes:. He'd better be a genius or he'll be lucky to see his 5th season as a HC. Personally I see him gone after 4 years, a failed one and done HC with no second chances.

5. I was feeling pretty good about this weeks game BEFORE all this hit. Though I think in the long run (this year) it will help the team focus and concentrate on the field, I wonder about the massive distractions on both the players AND coach THIS week. See the Buffalo opener 2003. By next week, the media may still be on the story, but the coaches and players will have their blinders on, but this week, I'm concerned.

On the other hand, because the Players know that if they lose, they are going to hear that they can't win without cheating, they might just go out and destroy the Chargers...they better.

6. Here is what IS NOT being said about this situation. It is NOT against the rules to try and steal an opposing teams signals. In fact, its an obligation that a staff do everything in their power to get that information. So most of this moral outrage is such pure BS. If the Pats were overly zealous in their pursuit of this "obligation" then punish them, but for gods sake let the punishment fit the crime.

I'm ok with a fine for the team and the HC (because that's where the buck stops), and how much is kind of meaningless because the team AND BB can well afford it. HOWEVER losing a first round draft pick is a HUGE over kill. Compared to what Denver and SF did when THEY circumvented the cap rules so blatently that Tags HAD to do something about it, even though he didn't want to. It was that blatent. Its like giving someone 5 years for murder, and then hanging the next guy for embezzelment.

I have a question. Is there any chance the Pats can appeal and get back the pick? Is this FINAL. If it is, then its a travesty.

7. I don't think that the Pats will be the last team to face Goddell's "moral wrath" on this issue. WE know that there are OTHER teams who have been stretch the rules sideline spying and other assorted mistameanors. THEY WILL come out, and it will be interesting to see what the commissioner does THIS time. The local media isn't the only Vindictive parties here. BB and Bob Kraft didn't get to where they are because they forgave people who F#cked them over. But I bet we will have to wait before we see the consequences, because Revenge is best served cold

8. Has there been anything further on the picture of the Jet employee on the Pats sideline. Over at JI they are dismissing it as a photoshop job. Did any of the media hoard mention it. Like I said I haven't been following closely.

9. Thanks to all for letting me get this out. Its been a tough time for all of us, butwhen the season is over, all those fans piling on that we have to deal with NOW, will have to think of NEW excuses for why their teams fail to match the Excellence of the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS.

I love your posts. I agree almost 100%.........

As for the bolded text...... I will be answered, I'm to understand that someone prominant in the MSM is on it. That's all I can say.

Dude-cheating or no, this is all going to be forgotten by next month.

Who knows what's the next "scandal" is? Maybe TO pulls a Chris Benoit and turns on his family and himself? The media(yes, including CNN/MSNBC/FOX) will be jumping ALL over this, which will make everything else an afterthought.

Dream on......... this reverberates for 2-3 year minimum......

First off Ken, never ever apologize to Peter King.

As for the draft pick, I still prefer that to suspending a genius over a procedural rule violation. I was afraid they would opt not to go that route because Clayton mentioned the loss of pick scenario impacting a rookie class in one of his tomes (although when he mentioned it again Thursday on Felger's show the thought had never occurred to Felgie or Borgie...).

And I take heart that the next SOB they bag will probably lose his job over the loss of multiple picks including a 1st. 'Cause few other HC's or GM's in the business are perceived as worth it. Crafting a punishment to suit the perpetrator rather than the crime due only to the fact that we had 2 picks already and were likely to pick at the tail end of round 1 come what may, will live to haunt Belichick's detractors. It may in fact prove to be Goodell's backhanded revenge on those who clamored the loudest and made the most of this transgretion.

I think he's mad as hell at BB for allowing this to happen. But I think he's equally perturbed with those who set it in motion and perhaps even moreso with those who publicly fueled the hysteria in a blatent attempt to force his hand. I think after listening to Belichick's reasoning, he decided that suspending him would reward their actions while docking him a first would better send a message that it better stop here. And I think that's why they don't like it.

As the fallout from the camera scandal settles, one heretofore unmentioned result is that the Colts have supplanted the Patriots as the NFL’s model franchise. They’ve drafted every bit as well, they feature a truly wholesome quarterback with more natural talent than perhaps anyone in history, and they win without cheating.

WOW!!!
Can anyone be anymore blatant with their Anti-Pats agenda than this?
Why does he even have to be a beat writer to Pats, if he hates them so much!!!
I just removed herald bookmark from my computer.

Awesome work, Patfanken. A great read!

If they did that it even if they are in the right (which they probably are), the media firestorm would be a huge distraction all season and would hurt the teams chances to win the SB. WON"T happen.

BB has cut his losses and is focused on winning games and ultimatly getting back to and winning the SB this year.

The next question is, what is the over/under on whether Eric Mangini EVER beats BB again while he's in NY. Talk about biting the hand that fed you????? :rolleyes:. He'd better be a genius or he'll be lucky to see his 5th season as a HC. Personally I see him gone after 4 years, a failed one and done HC with no second chances.

Very astute, Ken.

I have a feeling Mangina won't beat _BB_ ever again, as long as Brady is in place.

Belioli is gonna make Mangina hurt hurt hurt for this.

My problem is that Goodell controls the 'Zebras' that control the play and outcome of the game. Just witness the truly bad calls made against the Pats(particularly in playoff games). And why is there a 'playoff' and 'non-playoff' option within the penalty? The answer: Goodell has no intention of handing the Lombardi Trophy to Bill Bellicheck in February and he WILL use his Zebras to make sure this does not happen. And that's not cheating!!

WOW!!!
Can anyone be anymore blatant with their Anti-Pats agenda than this?
Why does he even have to be a beat writer to Pats, if he hates them so much!!!
I just removed herald bookmark from my computer.

it ain't cheating if you change the rules. IE. Colts eliminating the possibility of their wideouts getting manhandled.

How about Pass Interference in the endzone? How many teams are gonna lose a game in the playoffs because of this stupid rule? They need to change this "discretionary" call which has so much gray. They need to make it half the distance if it happens in the red zone.

that's an excellent point. the whole post was good too.

also, regarding the draft situation and the nflpa stepping in, i don't think it's that big a deal. if whoever goes #32 overall has a competent agent they should be able to get "typical" #32 overall money, regardless if they technically call it the first round or second. things will just trickle down likewise.

that's an excellent point. the whole post was good too.

also, regarding the draft situation and the nflpa stepping in, i don't think it's that big a deal. if whoever goes #32 overall has a competent agent they should be able to get "typical" #32 overall money, regardless if they technically call it the first round or second. things will just trickle down likewise.

one other factor is the length of contract signed. doesn't a late first differ from a 2nd rounder?

one other factor is the length of contract signed. doesn't a late first differ from a 2nd rounder?

good point. in the NBA i know it is a huge distinction, but i'm not positive how it's the same or different in the NFL. either way, if i were the player, i would ask the team for a fair deal based upon the history of what the #32 overall typically gets and hold out if they balked at it.

You captured my thoughts exactly.

Much ado about nothing.

Stealing signals is a time honored tradition in sports.

In Bill we trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye