Welcome to PatsFans.com

Must Read (fan written)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Remix 6, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remix 6

Remix 6 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I recently joined another site, FootballsFuture and this Patriot fan wrote a bit on our defense. One was a few weeks ago while he did some today about the SB. It really explains a lot

this is the secondary breakdown from a few weeks ago, it explains our coverage scheme and such

2. Remix 6

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

heres what he had to say about the SB
    its a great read imo written by a fan who took some time to explain it.

thoughts?

3. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +609 / 23 / -5

#12 Jersey

Thanks for posting that. Very imformative.

4. wdkantro2

wdkantro2 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Good read. I don't love footballoutsiders statistics so I don't put a whole lot of stock in them, but it definitely reaffirms my thoughts that Asante is ridiculously overrated.

5. JoePats

JoePats In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I generally like those Football Outsiders stats, but I think the cornerback ratings in our case are relatively meaningless.

What is the point of rating Hobbs against #2 receivers if he so often covers the #1 receiver? That's a waste of time.

6. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +129 / 1 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Very informative. I have confidence in our safety's...I am a big Meriweather fan and see Sanders as a full time player now. It's neither of thier (or Rodney's) fault that Hobbs got smoked on that TD.

7. RIVA Pats Fan

RIVA Pats Fan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can somebody explain why Hobbs was covering Plaxico?

8. Remix 6

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

we dont swap our CBs often and i guess the plan for NY was to get Plaxico on Hobbs in that situation.

9. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -1

#12 Jersey

Great read and very well thought out. It doesn't hurt that it supports my side that Assante is over rated and played like crap the last quarter of the season and the playoff. Also that Hobbs is a good #2.

10. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +129 / 1 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I wouldn't mind an explanation myself.

11. fumbrunner

fumbrunner In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Laurinaitis is not entering the draft.

12. Remix 6

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

bump
    since people are starting threads on LBs/CBs

this can help you a lot

13. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +383 / 69 / -51

No Jersey Selected

I really enjoyed the poster's take on the SB.

Samuel, for the $$ he's making, and wants to make, should have been covering Plexiglass the whole game. Blame BB and DP for that decision, I guess.

And I've always thought that CBs playing 10 yards off the LOS, esp. in close games, is foolish. Drives are extended, and our geezers get tired, and sloppy.

I'm not as sold on James Sanders as our future SS. I see him as no more than a 3rd safety/tweener: not big enough for SS, not fast enough for FS.

Stomper Meriweather may have improved during the season, but his hands are atrocious, and they (as well as other things) caused us to lose a SB.

I agree that WILB is in need of a major upgrade. One doesn't have to look like Ted Johnson to be effective there. I still feel that Paul Posluszny would have been an excellent choice for that spot. Someone new, talented and fast needs to at least be part of a rotation there next season.

It does appear that I underestimated the loss of Rosie Colvin. I didn't realize that Vrabel's sack #s after Week 8 were so lousy. I hope that a restructuring of Colvin's contract can be possible.

And I completely agree that a hybrid 4-3/3-4 should be in place by next season. Adding a young, fast, talented WILB and DE should go a long way toward accomplishing that goal.

14. karran_s

karran_s On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not a coach but I could have seen from the sidelines that a blitz play was not the right thing to call with only Hobbs covering PB.. At the very least, one more player should have covered him...

Hobbs was playing with an injury and may have also affected his overall play in the SB...

Asante should have made that crucial interception ... it would have earned him the right to be called a "great" CB.. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

However, I do think our team will be better with him than without, if they can negotiate his demands to more reasonable levels. Of course, it all depends on how much other teams offer.

15. patsfan55

patsfan55 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

hobbs is actually much much better covering the fade than asante
    of course hobbs was looking for the quick slant since he was hoping for a sack
    thing is, fine, hope for a sack but you have to play the fade and if you do see eli just chuck it up cuz we are in his face than make a break on it, but dont let the man behind you!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  16. patsfan55

patsfan55 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

speaking of nnamdi asoumgha (spelling?) he's a fa

17. jbb9s

jbb9s In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

"Another thing - BB's refusal to switch sides with the CB's is crazy. If you are going to leave Burress single covered, let Asante do it if he's actually any good. Asante never leaves the left side, something i whole heartedly disagree with. Teams will stick their number 1 WR on the other side, and cause a mismatch."

This point has been made a few times before and I often find it unexplainable. It seems to easy for a team to switch the sides of their Wideouts to create a mismatch. How does the Patriots defend this? Does anyone else do it?

Also, in the pre-game, Plexiglass had an interview and they had a poster of Hobbs and he stood behind it and yelled "just throw it to me, I have 7" on this dude. This is BEFORE the game. They knew they had the mismatch going in.

18. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Ordway said yesterday he was sitting right in front of that play and Plax executed a great fake. Add to that Hobbs slipped (saw several slips over the course of the evening, it was humid with the roof shut and the field got slick) and add to that he was apparently playing with a sports hernia for several weeks that was so painful they opted to stop using him in the return game so he could continue to play CB. He's apparently scheduled to have it surgically repaired.

19. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Schefter said tonight on NFLN that the Raiders are going to tag him.

20. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

This was an outstanding find. Hope some of the kneejerks who persist in thinking that playing that far off the receiver is an arbitrary choice the player makes read this...

I remember Ty wanted to switch - he wanted to matchup with the #1. Most of the time Bill said no. In hindsight I wonder if he did that because he anticipated more interceptable throws to the #2 than the #1 might allow for. So the slightly better cover corner gets the #1 and makes the play to break up those passes (unless the zebras call it PI...) while the ballhawk sits on the #2.

In 2006 Hobbs broke camp as the LCB. He had outperformed Asante in 2005 after replacing Starks around week 8. Hobbs then broke his scaphoid (like Tedy, as if it was contageous) and they switched him to RCB. At the time it was said that Asante isn't comfortable on the right. I figured maybe it was just a pecking order thing since the LCB is usually thought of as the #1. But I heard either Pees or Collier repeat the he's uncomfortable on the right side rationale again in interviews during Superbowl week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.