PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Must Read Article on Brady By Dan Wetzel - For those who think Brady doesn't care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great article, it really tells the emotions that Brady has for this game. Even after being so successful, he still wants it more than ever. It was a tough read for me. It was tough because it was an emotional lost that could've elevated Brady and Belichick's legacy to a whole new level.

wow..good article...

Makes me even more sad but just goes to show how tough it is losing at that stage...Brady cares more than anyone on this team... a true champion

This. 10 char

Whomever thinks Brady doesn't care needs to go jump off a bridge. He played his butt off. No denying it. This prob was a better game for him than the Denver game if you consider the circumstances. He had two clutch drives and set his team up to win. He can't do it by himself. That is why teams win championships. As great as Brady is, how many times has his defense given up a lead late in the playoffs? I can count 3 times since 2006. He can only control so much.

After listening to B Esiason this morning it is clear that after the hit he was playing with an injury. His passing just wasn't as good afterwards, he tried to lob the ball into Welker rather than just slinging it. Can't beat up a guy who is playing hurt.

The Welker catch was tougher than the Manningham catch the ball was perfect and he was right in stride, he did a great job getting down in bounds. Welker doesn't have long arms and the ball was in a tough position to catch. I am sure Welker makes that catch 8 times out of ten, but that is what the game is all about a few plays.

Brady works very hard. I have been a pats fan for 50 years, this is the best of tomes for us as Pats fans, we should appreciate how good we have it even today, especially today.

Last edited:
Yup. Don't let perception get in the way of reality. The Welker drop was a FAR easier catch than the Manningham catch and if Welker hangs on, the Patriots very likely win the game and no one is talking about how clutch Eli is or that Brady didn't do enough. Brady would've been 25-32 after that, the Super Bowl MVP and tied with Joe Montana in both rings and SB MVP's. But because Welker can't hang on all of a sudden Brady isn't clutch enough? Give me a break.

Some people just don't realize how fortunate we are to have what we have, and if they don't by now, they won't realize it until it's gone.

I agree with you and Gisele 100%

I don't care for the safety, I don't care for the INT(you gotta give Brady props for escaping the pressure and avoiding a sack at the last moment on that play)
That was a quarter and a half ago.

The Pats were leading (by 3pts?) with a chance to seal a victory, Welker dropped a game changing pass. Don't get me wrong, I love Welker as much as Brady, but he had the ball in his hands and dropped it. It didn't help that Branch and Hernandez were chokin' it up in the last drive as well.

Nobody played perfectly, but when it really really matter, Brady stepped up his game and when he needed just one more drive, his receivers let him down. You haters can beg for the YOUNG Ryan Mallett, but this team wouldn't even be in the playoffs, let alone the SB this year without Brady. So be thankful, he's here.

I don't know, the more I think about it the more it comes back to the D. 01, 03, and 04 were games where Brady didn't feel the need to do things all by himself. We either need a D like we had back then, or an RB that can take the pressure off when Brady is having an off day.

I know the above has been pointed out many times, but it bears repeating.

I don't know, the more I think about it the more it comes back to the D. 01, 03, and 04 were games where Brady didn't feel the need to do things all by himself. We either need a D like we had back then, or an RB that can take the pressure off when Brady is having an off day.

I know the above has been pointed out many times, but it bears repeating.

If someone told you the D would give up 2 TD's and 2 FG's and that the Giants would put the ball on the carpet 3 times would you have signed up for that....

I would have been thrilled, under the current rules that is as good as any og the SB winners.

I think "clutch" is more a reflection of the circumstances in someone's life at any given time, as opposed to something that is ingrained in people.

TB was clutch those 1st 3 Superbowls- he was young, he didn't know any better, and it was like he was playing with house money. Now, he understands the weight of how important he is to the organization, and what it all means - he looks like someone who carries a burden.

Jim Kelly was clutch in his 1st SB. The later ones, not so much - the weight of not wanting to experience that kind of crush again was too much.

I hope Brady understands that no matter what happens, he'll always go down as a great, and always be revered by fans of the Pats and non-fans alike. He really has nothing left to prove, though I'm sure that as a competitor, he doesn't see it that way.

They fought valiantly. Period. As much as we like to believe otherwise, Brady, Welker & even Gronk are human, prone to make mistakes. Brady cares, if you don't think so go watch the Brady 6, if u missed it. This loss is painful but they fought their ***es off to get there and were a play or 2 away.

I've seen the replays more than 10 times. What I wrote above still stands.

Completely agree.. you have to understand how a WR catches the ball.. Michael Irvin said it was an incredibly difficult catch to make given where it was thrown. The Manningham catch was not easy but certainly helped by a perfect throw from Eli, just over the two defenders who were just a step behind but too late to reach him before he made that catch ..

Saw this article on Fark.com, and I agree with the person who posted it there, it reads like a dimestore romance novel. Anyway, I'm surprised people are still talking about Welker, when in the final drive it was Hernandez and Branch who couldn't catch the ball, and they weren't leaping for a ball above their heads either. The dropped passes on the final drive killed the Pats. But the fact is, the Pats were up 17 to 9 in the middle of the 3rd quarter, and about 20 minutes of game time later the Giants are winning 21-17. Disgusting.

Saw this article on Fark.com, and I agree with the person who posted it there, it reads like a dimestore romance novel. Anyway, I'm surprised people are still talking about Welker, when in the final drive it was Hernandez and Branch who couldn't catch the ball, and they weren't leaping for a ball above their heads either. The dropped passes on the final drive killed the Pats. But the fact is, the Pats were up 17 to 9 in the middle of the 3rd quarter, and about 20 minutes of game time later the Giants are winning 21-17. Disgusting.

Beyond stating your version of the obvious, do you have anything to add? If you don't, I'd advise you to shut up, unless you want to become a poster-boy for getting Banned after less than ten posts.

Last edited:
The article does as good a job as I have ever seen of capturing the immediate aftermath of the defeat of a high profile individual competitor. Most importantly, it is unembellished by the author's own imaginings or projections; people who try to write pieces like this typically can't resist imposing their own interpretation of what their subject is or "must be" feeling. Instead, this is a raw report of a raw experience. The overriding image is one of a man sitting with a towel shielding his face from even those few who can approach him, keeping his reactions and feelings deeply private and speaking to no one, not his teammates, not his coaches, not his employer, and not his friends. He shares a moment with his spouse, but no one else.

I re-read it to be sure, but, beyond the podium platitudes, Brady never indicates what he is feeling. He talks about plays that weren't made, but never goes any further in relating his reaction to them or the entire experience. He is indeed a very circumspect young man.

We don't need to be shrinks to know that the emotions he is letting us see are those of profound disappointment and deep sadness.

But is he also angry? If so, was the Midas Queen giving voice to things he cannot say? Or was his anger reserved solely for himself and his own self-perceived errors and failings?

Is he feeling resigned or rebellious? Does he feel his playing future slipping into the past or is that future still looming as large as ever in his eyes?

Is he feeling the stirrings of an eagerness to get recharged to do it all again or does that seem like something he doesn't even want to consider for the moment or are golf courses and business ventures and raising his young children feeling to him more and more like they might become his primary focus?

So, a brilliantly written and appropriately brief article about a young man, who is in the prime of a long life but at a watershed moment in the waning years of one chapter of that life.

(If anyone wants to try to say that they know the answers to any of the questions I posed above, I ask that you first tell us how many long hours of private conversations you have had with Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr., because that is the only way you could have that knowledge and I certainly don't have that experience of him or that knowledge.)

The article does as good a job as I have ever seen of capturing the immediate aftermath of the defeat of a high profile individual competitor. Most importantly, it is unembellished by the author's own imaginings or projections; people who try to write pieces like this typically can't resist imposing their own interpretation of what their subject is or "must be" feeling. Instead, this is a raw report of a raw experience. The overriding image is one of a man sitting with a towel shielding his face from even those few who can approach him, keeping his reactions and feelings deeply private and speaking to no one, not his teammates, not his coaches, not his employer, and not his friends. He shares a moment with his spouse, but no one else.

I re-read it to be sure, but, beyond the podium platitudes, Brady never indicates what he is feeling. He talks about plays that weren't made, but never goes any further in relating his reaction to them or the entire experience. He is indeed a very circumspect young man.

We don't need to be shrinks to know that the emotions he is letting us see are those of profound disappointment and deep sadness.

But is he also angry? If so, was the Midas Queen giving voice to things he cannot say? Or was his anger reserved solely for himself and his own self-perceived errors and failings?

Is he feeling resigned or rebellious? Does he feel his playing future slipping into the past or is that future still looming as large as ever in his eyes?

Is he feeling the stirrings of an eagerness to get recharged to do it all again or does that seem like something he doesn't even want to consider for the moment or are golf courses and business ventures and raising his young children feeling to him more and more like they might become his primary focus?

So, a brilliantly written and appropriately brief article about a young man, who is in the prime of a long life but at a watershed moment in the waning years of one chapter of that life.

(If anyone wants to try to say that they know the answers to any of the questions I posed above, I ask that you first tell us how many long hours of private conversations you have had with Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr., because that is the only way you could have that knowledge and I certainly don't have that experience of him or that knowledge.)

There is just flat out too much pressure being put on Brady to carry this team to a SB win, way too much. Kobe couldn't win that much rings with a actually tough big man playing with him, look at what happened last NBA playoffs when everyone exposed Pau Gasol. Jeter couldn't possibly win that much rings without the help of his big 5 or later the prime A-Rod, Hell, Jordan couldn't win anything after the pippen and Rodman era. Those are fine examples of championships are not winnable on only one man's shoulder, this kind of pressure will make even a seemingly cluth and great player become a shell of his former self, just look at where Lebron James is now, that dude was a beast in the Cavs but he never was able to won a ring by himself, now he does has help but he was dumb enough to put all that pressure on himself publicly to win 5-6 rings, so now he has offically become the CHOKE of the NBA. I really don't want to see Brady become someone like that, we need help for Brady, badly. It is not a bad thing, or a show of weakness, batman can't fight crimes without Robin. Point is, someone, either a RB or a great D, is gonna have to be able to take some pressure off Brady's shoulder, or we will not win another ring, I always feels like the patriots will need their own "Big Three" in the future.

There is just flat out too much pressure being put on Brady to carry this team to a SB win, way too much. Kobe couldn't win that much rings with a actually tough big man playing with him, look at what happened last NBA playoffs when everyone exposed Pau Gasol. Jeter couldn't possibly win that much rings without the help of his big 5 or later the prime A-Rod, Hell, Jordan couldn't win anything after the pippen and Rodman era. Those are fine examples of championships are not winnable on only one man's shoulder, this kind of pressure will make even a seemingly cluth and great player become a shell of his former self, just look at where Lebron James is now, that dude was a beast in the Cavs but he never was able to won a ring by himself, now he does has help but he was dumb enough to put all that pressure on himself publicly to win 5-6 rings, so now he has offically become the CHOKE of the NBA. I really don't want to see Brady become someone like that, we need help for Brady, badly. It is not a bad thing, or a show of weakness, batman can't fight crimes without Robin. Point is, someone, either a RB or a great D, is gonna have to be able to take some pressure off Brady's shoulder, or we will not win another ring, I always feels like the patriots will need their own "Big Three" in the future.

I think that's very well said. when I look back to the great 2003/2004 teams, they were already characterized by a brutal D and, then, they added Corey Dillon who took a lot of pressure off of TB. That worked well. Adding Moss in 2007 worked very well, until the end I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey