PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Must be gameday...this site stinks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian and Tom Brady ... both working to contain the blitz ... next week. ;)

Re: Again...this site stinks on gameday

Geez, Ian...are you pocketing the money we give you??

Going to go out on a limb and say that you have no idea how much it costs to run a highly trafficked site. If you think Ian's pocketing your money, then that's just dumb.

Last edited:

MoLewisRocks was right.

There NEEDS to be some kind of restriction on access during games. Despite new servers, new databases, whatever, the site is always inaccessible (to me at least) during games. At least it won't matter to me next week as I will be at the game but this inaccessibility needs to be addressed.

Just shut off Live Topic during games if it creates too many accesses.

Last edited:
Re: pats.com problems continue on game day.

I closed it to give Ian a chance to respond before the thread got out of hand.

lmao liar liar pants on fire.

Going to go out on a limb and say that you have no idea how much it costs to run a highly trafficked site. STFU or leave- I don't care which, but this crap is uncalled for.

Relax - obviously we've discussed it. Otherwise as you can see with almost 2,000 people here it's moving quite well. So we're making significant progress.

Just shut off Live Topic during games if it creates too many accesses.

I did - and we noticed a difference. I haven't tested it with it back on since they installed the other piece and the server came back up when it froze earlier, but I don't want to do it unless I have him on with me monitoring the change. I think that there's an updated version of that plugin that's supposed to be better. I'll have to look into it.

Like I said if you were on we had some issues early on where it slowed down a few times, but after a couple changes it ran smoothly up until about halftime when he left for a bit and I lost it before the third quarter started. After the other install and the reboot the numbers look much better, so I'm definitely quite encouraged. With almost 2000 people right now it's flying so I definitely feel confident that it's going to get there :cool:

Last edited:

Going to go out on a limb and say that you have no idea how much it costs to run a highly trafficked site. STFU or leave- I don't care which, but this crap is uncalled for.

I was the first to say is was a rough comment, but dude......... throwing out the "STFU" is uncalled for on a legitimate comment. He has the right to make the inquiry................. YOU HOWEVER, should NOT have the right to tell him STFU with a valid (if bluntly put), question.

Whatever the reason this week. It was ANOTHER frustrating afternoon on patsfan. The dude paid his $18, he has a every right to ask the question. How bout a little class here. Your $18 doesn't give you the right to tell him to STFU.

I've been given a infraction for that EXACT same behavior. I hope the same happens to you.

p.s. You'll recall that I usually agree with you too. I just think this is over the top.

Yeah the double TE server set is working ... the blocking scheme just needs to be tweaked.

I was the first to say is was a rough comment, but dude......... throwing out the "STFU" is uncalled for on a legitimate comment. He has the right to make the inquiry................. YOU HOWEVER, should NOT have the right to tell him STFU with a valid (if bluntly put), question.

Whatever the reason this week. It was ANOTHER frustrating afternoon on patsfan. The dude paid his $18, he has a every right to ask the question. How bout a little class here. Your $18 doesn't give you the right to tell him to STFU.

I've been given a infraction for that EXACT same behavior. I hope the same happens to you.

p.s. You'll recall that I usually agree with you too. I just think this is over the top.

Thanks. That's all I was asking. I come here because I like to chat with other fans during the game. Gets frustrating when the site blows up EVERY gameday because of TROLLS. Was just asking, if I asked like a jerk, I apologize.

Agreed - as a matter of fact I'm going to change that so the next time someone enters those four letters in it no longer appears.

Last edited:

I did - and we noticed a difference. I haven't tested it with it back on since they installed the other piece and the server came back up when it froze earlier, but I don't want to do it unless I have him on with me monitoring the change. I think that there's an updated version of that plugin that's supposed to be better. I'll have to look into it.

Like I said if you were on we had some issues early on where it slowed down a few times, but after a couple changes it ran smoothly up until about halftime when he left for a bit and I lost it. After the other install and the reboot the numbers look much better, so I'm definitely quite encouraged. With almost 2000 people right now it's flying so I definitely feel confident that it's going to get there :cool:

I do notice during the game it is very hard to get on here. You definetely are due for an upgrade, vBulletin's software is up to version 3.8.3 now.

Agreed - as a matter of fact I'm going to change that so the next time someone enters those four letters in it no longer appears.

Thanks IAN.......... Keep plugging. I know it's frustrating for you, more then all of us, but lets keep working to get it right. {thumb's up}

I do notice during the game it is very hard to get on here. You definetely are due for an upgrade, vBulletin's software is up to version 3.8.3 now.

It's not the version of vBulletin that controls the speed, it's several aspects within the main http server that controls the number of Apache connections and balancing them so it doesn't lock up. This is a custom installation and has simply required some tweaking in the process, and I think todays changes have us just about there.

As for vBulletin they have 4.0 coming - which I'm looking forward to because it's supposed to be quite an upgrade. So I'm not going to change it over until that is released, because there aren't any differences between this version and 3.8.3 that make it a worthwhile change.

Last edited:
Thanks IAN.......... Keep plugging. I know it's frustrating for you, more then all of us, but lets keep working to get it right. {thumb's up}

Don't get me wrong - it sucks and it's irritating sitting here with a support window open and constantly reviewing numbers, I'm going to have to sit back down and watch the game again to see things I obviously missed. But today was the best in quite a while and I'm finally feeling like we're going to get to a resolution. Trust me - I'd rather just spend a game chatting with every body in the football thread than doing that.

But I think by the end of next weeks game we'll be finally where we need to be.

Last edited:

Thanks. That's all I was asking. I come here because I like to chat with other fans during the game. Gets frustrating when the site blows up EVERY gameday because of TROLLS. Was just asking, if I asked like a jerk, I apologize.

That's big of you, jerky. ;):D

That's big of you, jerky. ;):D

Real classy, PatJew...you and LT...call me a name, then disguise it with a smiley. I have apologized 5 times. What would you like from me?

I was the first to say is was a rough comment, but dude......... throwing out the "(Please be quiet - edited)" is uncalled for on a legitimate comment. He has the right to make the inquiry................. YOU HOWEVER, should NOT have the right to tell him (Please be quiet - edited) with a valid (if bluntly put), question.

Whatever the reason this week. It was ANOTHER frustrating afternoon on patsfan. The dude paid his $18, he has a every right to ask the question. How bout a little class here. Your $18 doesn't give you the right to tell him to (Please be quiet - edited).

Anyone who accuses the admins of scamming them out of money deserves to be told to stuff it- I'm willing to bet that this site costs more to run than it brings in by a not-insignificant margin. Ian's a nice guy, so he'll probably let it slide, but it's an absurd thing to say. I get being frustrated if you can't log on, but suggesting that your money is being pocketed is way over the line. Maybe it warrants an infraction, maybe not, but if that kind of thing is suggested again, my reaction will be pretty much the same. I definitely should have phrased it less harshly, granted, but I've seen seeing more and more of that recently, and it's just weak. The site could be down EVERY Sunday and we'd still be getting more than our money's worth.

Last edited:

Yeah .... :banned:

Enough - he's apologized and I get why he was angry - I don't blame him. We're all obviously disappointed and I'm sure not being able to communicate with everyone was tough.

The chat room has worked well the past couple of weeks and helped a lot of people have a place to hang out during the game. Glad that has worked out for many of you and that it's being utilized.

Well, now that you all got your hands down Ian's pants...smooch smooch. Give me a break. Then, do not run the site if it costs so much money. I bet you that the site is profitable, period.

Sorry for simply asking why a site that I paid money to cannot function correctly. I guess it is wrong to expect competence. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots