Welcome to PatsFans.com

Muslim Threats Force Gay Pride Cancellation in Russia

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWickedPissah, Feb 18, 2006.

1. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +719 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

http://time.blogs.com/daily_dish/2006/02/how_muslim_blac.html

Moscow has now canceled its Gay Pride parade. It was canceled after the chief Muslim leader in Russia warned that marchers would be "bashed" if they dared to walk the streets. Money quote:

"Earlier this week Chief Mufti Talgat Tadzhuddin warned that Russia's Muslims would stage violent protests if the march went ahead. "If they come out on to the streets anyway they should be flogged. Any normal person would do that - Muslims and Orthodox Christians alike ... [The protests] might be even more intense than protests abroad against those controversial cartoons." The cleric said the Koran taught that homosexuals should be killed because their lifestyle spells the extinction of the human race and said that gays had no human rights."

Notice this is not al Qaeda. It is the official mainstream Muslim leadership. Bob Wright today makes the case for self-censorship to avoid offense to religious groups and others. In principle, this makes sense. Gratuitous, arbitrary offense of someone else's faith is not a laudable exercize of free speech. It's an abuse of such freedom. But context is vital. Bob cites an example of portraying Jesus with a crown of thorns made up of dynamite sticks, after an abortion clinic bombing. I'd say that's a perfectly legitimate comment after an act of violence performed in the name of a religious figure who preached non-violence. Many Christians would share the sentiments of the cartoonist. It's ironic, as the Muhammad cartoon was. And if it's defensible in that case, it is exponentially more so in the case of Islam in 2006.

The world has been terrorized for decades now by murderers who specifically cite Muhammad as their inspiration. It is completely legitimate speech to point that out. Not to point it out - to remain silent in the face of it - is an act of denial.The reason that so many Muslims are offended is not just because any depiction of Muhammad is taboo; but because the conflation of Islam and murder is now firmly fixed in the global consciousness. I can understand why the repetition of that fact should upset many peace-loving Muslims. But that is not the fault of cartoonists. It's the fault of the Muslim terrorists, and the failure of mainstream Muslims to condemn them sufficiently, ostracize them completely, and prevent them effectively from further mayhem. At this point, in my judgment, further appeasement of these religious terrorists is counter-productive - and actually enables the extremists in their simultaneous intimidation of moderate Muslims.

Interesting to note that the Russian Christian Orthodox religious leadership and members in Russia also are anti-gay. Difference being that they do not advocate violence openly and were they to do so, they'd be pilloried for it loudly by other members of Christianity.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +298 / 1 / -9

There's no liberalism in Muslimism (off with his head) they stoned a women this week in Pakistan for not wearing her scarf. They still stone people???????????

Bring a Muslim home to dinner.

Oh gee, but there's lots of good ones (WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY, WHY DON'T THEY CONDEM ALL THIS STONE AGE MUSLIM SH!T)???
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

The mainstream Muslim community does seem to be even weaker than the Democratic Party in speaking out for what's right. It's a terrible shame. Fundamentalism is always a danger -- its the Christian right that has led the fight against gay rights, but Hasidic Jews have also been involved, and now we're seeing Muslims in Russia getting involved. I think the reason China is evolving so quickly is that they've done a very good job at keeping the lid on religion. I don't know what the answer is, but there must be a better way bombing the Muslims back another generation.
  4. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +719 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

Aside from the moral issues, bombing Muslims to the stone age is impractical. Somehow we have to make a cultural change and tame the radical fringes of the religion as was done with the gelding of murderous Christianity, eliminating joys like the Inquisition of heathen protestants. It may have been fun, but it was wrong.
  5. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure I'd want to hang my hat on China in their efforts of championing "rights"
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +298 / 1 / -9

If Liberals think they are going to "brainwash" the Muslims they are in for a big surprise, they are also in for a big fight.

Some ding dong in Harvard Sq that has a little newspaper for homeless people (wino's I used to know never read papers) says he is going to publish the Mohammad Cartoons. Next week his head will be floating down the Charles River.

Why won't the NY Times publish them.

I think I'll tell my wife I want her to sit in the backseat from now on when we go shopping, I am going to make her wear a towel over her head and a sheet. :rocker:
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You guys would treat those gay pride marchers the same way if you could.

PatsWickedPissah, Harry Boy, Turd Fuguson, that means you.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  8. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +719 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

Written proof that you are an utter ignoramous, and a prejudiced one at that.
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +298 / 1 / -9

Hi, my name is Pujo > :bricks:
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'll take ignoramous, or a pile of bricks, over being a bigot anyday. I'd suggest you do the same if it's not too late.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +298 / 1 / -9

It isn't bigotry it's telling it like it is and plain common sense, we don't live in the "La-La Land Of Far Left Liberalism"

The people you see Rampaging overseas every day on the News over the cartoon are the same people that will sell their souls to come over here and cut your head off if a WEAK DEMOCRAT LEAD GOVT AND A JELLYFISH PANSY PRESIDENT ALLOWS THEM TO.

Todays Democrat has to be kept out of office in a time of war or this country is in big trouble. The Radical Muslim religion is like no other enemy we have ever fought, the have no souls, they have no rules, their one goal is to kill the infedel.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  12. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +719 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

Furthur written proof of your blatant ignorance.

Cite an example that proves your unfounded assertion of PWP bigotry regarding the issue where you raised it.

You can't.

You lose.
  13. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm not calling you a bigot for your view on Muslims, I'm calling you a bigot for your hypocritical view of gays. You're in line to deny them the right to marry, but now you're using them to further your cause.
  14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Rather than having me scour through your posts, why don't you just save me the time and TELL me where you stand on gay marriage?
  15. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +719 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

YOU are the one who made the assertion. Back it up.
  16. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Actually, Pujo, the righties here (with I believe the exceptions of PFIM and Eagleland) have not expressed opposition to gay marriage, and some have indeed supported it. A lot of the righties in this forum are not part of the religious right and in fact seem to identify themselves as atheistic or agnostic. At least that's my impression.
  17. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Your reluctance to defend yourself is proof enough for me.
  18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +298 / 1 / -9

I'm not using anyone to further my cause, I could care less if they marry as long as it doesn't affect me, they can all have several (wives husbands or what ever), just don't "FORCE" me to be involved, let it remain their business.

What I do object to is the "PHONY LIBERAL" who will TRASH A Christian Minister who objects to homosexuality but remains all most silent when the "Smelly Fanatics In The Muslim Religion" want to KILL THEM.

Why do the "Bush Hating Liberals" do this, they do it because they don't want to be associated with any type of activity that may make them appear to have the Same Enemy As The Hated Bush And America. If they speak out against the Muslim Pigs in Russia it may make them look as though they support their own country. (can't have that, can we)
    Sh!t Bums.
  19. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +719 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

I do not have to 'prove' a negative regarding a stubborn fool's repeated assertion. The factless accuser is incumbent to prove his assertion. Know you nothing regarding logic? Your behaviour reveals all.
  20. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's not about who made the assertion, it's about: do you have a prejudice against gays?

Apparantly Harry Boy, as he explained, does not. I'm learning that he just hates liberals.

Hey, and I like how you slipped into "yoda-talk" when you needed to sound "logical".
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2006