Welcome to PatsFans.com

Muslim passenger pulled from plane seeks apology

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Mar 17, 2011.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

How many real Muslim terrorists would dress up in obvious outfits that would draw attention at airports?....At he same time, looking the other way when you see suspicious behavior because of political correctness can cost lives(see Fort Hood). This incident went too far though when after she was cleared they still wouldn't let her on the plane and even singling her out to begin with might have gone to far....but I'm still debating that in my mind. Anyway it's always damned if you do but it only has to be damned if you don't just once. In this case though it's bad press for the airline and their over cautious behavior will cost them and make it harder for all airlines to conduct legitimate security checks.

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

There really isn't any easy way about it. I really do feel bad for innocent muslims who are affected by the insecurity people now feel as a result of 9/11. It must really be a pain in the you know what.
  3. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Basically, better safe then sorry. For her, it's probably only the tip of the iceberg. She probably gets harrased quite a bit.
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

So that makes it ok?
  5. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

i say, "yes, it does make it ok". That is probably a bit harsh, but we cannot have another incedent like 9/11.
  6. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Yes. The attendent saw the scarf (profiling/yes) and heard "its a go". My take, better safe then sorry. I feel for the lady because I do believe she gets harrased for just walking down the street, and that is wrong.
  7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I can sort of see initially why she was checked out but she was cleared to board only to be refused again because the crew on the plane still felt uncomfortable. The fear was unfounded but it was probably real and didn't necessarily arise out of so called "hate". The ironic thing is that a western dressed passenger with a real bomb wouldn't alarm anyone.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

And that's the problem with putting all of your hate-eggs in one basket.

The two women who have, in the past, really posed a bomb threat were blue eyed blonde American converts.

Sans head scarves.
  9. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Depends. How does the western dressed passenger say "its a go" on the phone. It wasn't just that the Muslim was wearing a scarf, there was other circumstances. I know when I travel through an airport, I'm cautious of how I act and what I say.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Read the article. She didn't say that. What she said was, "I've got to go," which is entirely different and yeah, a "western dressed" woman would most likely say the same thing.

What do you say when you've got to get off the phone?
  11. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

"I've got to go" is what the Pakistan lady says how she ended the phone call. The attendant, thought she said, "its a go". Now, you can draw your inference from that. Maybe the flight attendant was bias, I don't know.
    My point is, I do believe profiling at airports is necessary, and that if the crew person thought that is what she heard, then she needed to take the precautionary steps.
    Honestly, if the crew person had heard "its' a go" from the western lady, it would have also caused at some concern, but not sure if the results would have been the same.
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes it does!
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's the type of situation where, if she were a terrorist and there was an incident, people would be screaming "OH MY GOD WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY DO ANYTHING!?!?"
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't know about anyone else, but I always say "ayyyyyyyyyyagrarhraghrghrghrghghghghgh."
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -9

When she gets home she has to wash the donkey and ride in the back seat if she looks at the milkman her husband takes her out in the back yard and throws rocks at her.

:bricks:
  16. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

And then get back in the kitchen making bacon and eggs ayyyyyyyyyyyyyarhgarhgrahgrhghgrhgrhghhh :rocker:

OOps they don't eat bacon. Goat and eggs then..ayyyyyyyyyyyyyarhgarhgrahgrhghgrhgrhghhh. :rocker:
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  17. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think hate is too strong a word but your examples prove the point. People are conditioned though through personal experience and real life examples. Sometimes those examples are exaggerated...if the same drum gets beat enough then you react accordingly. I hate to admit it but I do admit that in some areas I travel I'm weary of "gangster" looking people and that includes blacks. I don't hate black people but I'm profiling which can be bad but it may also save me. I'm quite sure that many blacks would have the same weariness if they found themselves in Dixieland walking by a bunch of white "cracker' looking dudes with confederate flag scarfs on. Do they hate white people or are they profiling and if they were wise to be weary might the profiling save them? Maybe.

Now like it or not some recent history reveals that extremist Muslims have hijacked planes. It's been exaggerated, yes but everyone is aware of what happened and it makes them weary too. I wish it didn't bother me, I really do because the overwhelming odds are NOTHING will happen and it's all in my head...and as you point out its probably going to come from someone that doesn't "look" the part anyway. Still we worry and react. It's not hate though. Not from me anyway. Kinda of weird what scares us.
  18. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

That's what she claimed she said.

Also, the idea that she was targeted for her headscarf is speculation by the Muslim woman.
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Come on, she was probably profiled which made it easy for them to connect their dots. I seriously think they would have heard it differently if were a western looking woman.
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -9

"I'll see you later"