Welcome to PatsFans.com

Muslim Film Festival

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 3 / -10

2. DeanPatsFan

DeanPatsFan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gary Busey is a traitor, selling out his country for money.

He needs to face a firing squad.

3. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They banned us from any theater that was playing this "film" when it came out. It was deemed then to promote anti-American sentiment and that we would have to stand clear for our own protection.
    I hope Billy Zane and Gary Busey enjoy their money..I'm sure they will be defended by those claiming they are praticing their "art."
    They are sellouts and should be banished from our shores.

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 22 / -19

I suppose their impression of us is as legitimate as our impression of Muslims. How many times have I seen sarcastic references here to Islam as a religion of peace or even posts saying we should just blow up the whole region? Bush's war is feeding anti-American sentiment, and you in turn are feeding on that sentiment to justify war. It's a cycle. I'm not part of it. You are. Bush started it, with his wholly unjustified attack on Iraq. The film apparently is based on a real incident, so in that way it's not much different than some American films. No surprise the film would first be shown in a place like San Francisco. Afte all, most liberals are interested in seeing the manifestations of Bush's foreign policy. We are not safer under Bush. Thousands dead and more anti-American sentiment than at any time, probably, since the Vietnam War.

5. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Did any of you actually read the two links???
    From comments, it seems that never happened at all.
    What are your thoughts about the Turks felt after the incident with Americans??? Do you not see any reason for tehm to be upset??
    So much for free speech....let's just kill anyone who disagrees with us..pretty shallow in muy opinion and totally wrong.
    There is nothing at all about banning US citizens from the film..maybe I missed that...

6. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure if you are addressing me in particular in your post, I don't feel you are buy anyway, to me it's not about the religion. I feel bad for Muslims, just like I feel bad for Baptists. We both have to deal with our fringe and everyone judges those groups by the fringes.
    To me, Billy Zane, Gary Busey and Tito Ortiz did themselves and their country a diservice by taking the money for this one. It will be interesting to see once the media gets hold of it.
    I thought this all ready was out in the States because this was a problem that passed us by in Europe in February.
    Oh well, I'm sure this topic will get out of hand quickly...I'm ready to talk if anyone wants to...like adults.

7. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There where multiple problems here in Europe after the film was released. The US Military forbade members here in Europe to be at theaters presenting the film. Hopefully that will clear up some of the confusion.

8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,028 / 15 / -8

I'm a little concerned that we have mixed reports of the gender of the "If I see an American after seeing this film..." quote.

Sounds like they definitely gilded the lily on this one, and I'm against staying in Iraq. Talk of treason's a bit much, but that goes without saying, for all but the radical right.

Still, it would have made a lot more sense if they led off with the factual incident and presented other real-life material, if only to avoid the whole fact-check response. Probably it's presented as a fictional story set against the backdrop of real-life events, but there's plenty of useable details to rile up the average Turk, without alleging organ-farming (for instance.)

Think I'll be skipping this one,

PFnV

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 22 / -19

I agree with you that all groups have to contend with their fringe elements.

I don't know enough about the film to comment. It sounds like it's nothing more than an action thriller, with Americans as the antagonists (which is something we're not used to in movies). You might want to check out the various user comments on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493264/

After skimming through them, my impression is that the film is being used by both American and Muslim radicals to worsen relations, but most people are just interested in the film as an action movie.

10. Pats726

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Oh..OK..that makes much more sense...I wonder if there have been many other films the military has done that with??? Thanks..that does clear it up.

11. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's based on a actual event. It's a docu-drama not an action thiller.

That I guess can all be in the eye of the beholder. The Wizard of Oz was about populisim or was it....?

12. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Only that last one with Jane Fonda :D just kidding...I haven't heard of any others.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 3 / -10

The whole MUSLIM RELIGION despises Jews.

The Whole MUSLIM RELIGION despises Christian Infedels.

Spin it however you want, America now has a very, very dangerous enemy and America will be in danger from this enemy for many years to come.

In my book Gary Busey should leave the country, he should move to Fance, Turkey, Iran or San Francisco. (Busey is a drugged up RAT)

14. Turk

Turk Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

This thread is a summary of Harry's views and nothing else.

We had this discussion about this very same movie a while back, maybe some will remember, maybe not.

To shed some light on the subject matter, this movie HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION, at all. Just because the producers are Muslim, does not mean that the religious conflict was the theme of this movie. But of course, one would have to read just a little more than the headline to comprehend that and to Harry that is an unsurpassable challenge.

The Valley Of The Wolves was a very popular mini series on Turkish TV, very similar to the Sopranos, in that the theme was the life of an organized crime boss' innermost feelings, his interaction with his family, etc.
    Then, the incident took place (in real life) where the Turkish soldiers and officers were taken from their compound by their American counterparts, with hoods on their heads, with handcuffs, with no explanation with no notice to Ankara. It was a scandal which enraged the Turks, especially because no apologies were ever issued, afterwards.

This movie is based upon the nationalistic wave that swept Turkey because of this event, especially since it took place during an unpopular war. The producers saw an opportunity to make money and they did make money, just like their American counterparts do, all the time. The main character goes into Iraq to rescue friends who had been abducted to have their organs taken out to be sold on the black market, which is also a dark fact of war.
    In the meantime, he avenges the honor of those Turkish soldiers who were hooded by the Americans. During the movie, at least a dozen times Saddam is referred to as the butcher dictator and his regime is called for what it is "a brutal dictatorship that is responsible for thousands of deaths", but hey, why bother mention those facts when it is so much easier not to bother with facts? Truth is overrated.

Now, should the movie "Midnight Express", for which Spielberg apologized to Turkey years later for not having done his homework prior to making that movie, have been viewed by Turks or by Muslims as an attack on their religion?
    Only someone who does not, cannot read beyond headlines would think so.
    Rambo probably should be executed for the terrorist that he is, shouldn't he Harry?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

Well said, did a quick check of this movie and this by far is a very good encapsulation of what is going on and its context. I probably will not see it, but I support the right to show it. Isn't that one of the freedoms we all seek and is one of the reasons we are in Iraq???

16. Pats726

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Didn't know it HAD been discussed..some great points made...
    but why did Spielberg apologize??? Did he have anything to do with "Midnight Express" ??? r was he just apologizing for Hollywood in general.. I think that is a rather good point..but wasn't that based on a real experience?? Just curious as I saw the movie many many years ago..

17. Turk

Turk Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Correction:
    In the heat of the moment I mistakenly said Steven Spielberg, when I should have said Oliver Stone as the person that apologized. Spielberg had nothing to do with that movie. My bad!
    Here is why the apologies were issued:

"Although the movie is supposed to be based on and has been credited as a "true story", it has been clearly indicated by Billy Hayes himself 20 years after it's release, that what is presented in the movie is a very exaggerated and fictional version of what's happened to him in the prison in Istanbul, Turkey."

"Goofs: Factual errors: Most of the dialogue spoken in "Turkish" is in fact in Maltese."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077928/

There was so much damage created to the image of Turkey, by this movie that to this day when people hear of my Turkish relatives, the first thing they ask if I have ever seen the dam-n thing, because it is their only exposure to Turkey.

18. Pats726

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I wasn't at all sure if Spielburg apologized for Hollywood OR if it was another..Stone was only the screenwriter; the director was Alan Parker. Certainly the wrong language being spoken is a BIG goof...unless they wanted it NOT be authentic..I wonder if Hayes himself contributed to that..and or if others who were caught with drugs there had "wild tales" about what happened...and that THAT helped lead to an exageration.
    I did have an acquaintance who visited Turkey in the 80s and said it was a really beautiful country of peace...Although he also noted that customs were
    quite different there and one needed to understand them before going.

Offending Turkey like the US has is not quite good for us as that country has always been a very strategic point for America.//a strong ally. And one thing that enters into the Iraq war is the Kurds..who Turkey has had trouble with internally.