Welcome to PatsFans.com

Muslim cultural centre opens in lower Manhattan

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Perhaps the righties got tired of their own bigoted b.s.?

Controversial Islamic Cultural Center Opens - WNYC Culture

There was no sign of protest at the Park51 community center last night. It opened its doors to the public in lower Manhattan Wednesday, without the opposition that had surrounded the project for a year.

The center was crowded for most of the evening — with visitors who said they came to see the new photography exhibition and others who were interested in the place itself. Brooklyn's Jean Stevens said she's not surprised the event went off without a hitch.

"It seems like there's not much of huge response to this reception or to the mosque anymore, and so I wonder whether if people have forgotten it now that its not such a hot topic."

At the space, which was still raw looking, visitors mixed, while viewing the exhibit on New York’s children, and listening to tunes played by the New York Arab orchestra. But unlike most art events, they didn’t swill wine to stay in accord with Muslim practices.

The only remnants of the controversy that has surrounded the project was a police officer and patrol car stationed outside the large glass windows on Park Place.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Next week frontline or Nova has an episode on this, may want to tivo it.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

What a wonderful thing.

I am weak but thou art strong
    Jesus keep me from all wrong
    Daily walking close to thee
    Let it be, dear Lord let it be.

God Is Great
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

Actually the objection is to the 15 story victory tower to celebrate 9-11. There have been mosques downtown for years.

Nice straw man though. Worried about the Greek Orthodox not being able to rebuild their church. They have had one in lower Manhattan since 9-11?
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,035 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

It always amazes me how liberals are so quick to "trash christianity, Jesus, God, The Cross and Santa Claus but when Islam enters the picture they all start cooing, slobbering and masturbating.

What A Strange Union, the liberal and the muslim.

:confused:
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Really? That's the objection? The height of the mosque and not the mosque itself? You have no objection to it if it's not tall?

Strange - that's not what you were saying before. Before you were objecting to anything Muslim being built anywhere near Ground Zero because it was sacred ground.

Let me refresh your memory.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...n-mosque-troubles-city-page7.html#post2058876

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ors-ground-zero-mosque-page7.html#post1985155

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ors-ground-zero-mosque-page7.html#post1984787

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ors-ground-zero-mosque-page6.html#post1984690

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...2/415360-who-imam-rauf-page4.html#post1946579
  8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

The mosque has been there for a few years, in the same location not a peep.

The protest are about the proposed 15 stroy building that will overlook the site of WTC.

This is due to a history of such 'victory monuments' that have been erected at the sites of great victories for hundreds of years. Building that building there will have great significance in the Muslim world. Most in the West are ignorant of that.

So if the objection was a mosque there would have been protest about it for years.
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

Liberals in their Love Islam mode completely ignore the "Victory Monument" aspect just as they do The Treatment Of Women, The Stonings and The Beheadings, liberals don't want "The Victory Monument" even mentioned, those who do mention it are considered "bigots" even though it is a FACT.

Mosques are fine all they are is just another CHURCH it's the "Victory Monument" that is a frigging disgrace and an INSULT to America.

If the "Victory Monument" is built some American should fly a Plane into it and yell out "PRAISE JESUS"
  10. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -4

I think most Americans -- left or right -- have short memories.

(and that's both good and bad)
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

If I remember right a majority of dem voters in NY were opposed to the mosque. So it wasn't a party issue in that area. Nationally it might have been split among dems, but not in NY.

IMO, this "center" was built in poor taste. Do they have a right to build? Sure. Should they have built it? I don't think so. Am I surprised they opted to pour salt in the wounds of the very people who were most affected by the attacks on 9/11? Not at all. As BB would say, it is what it is. Hopefully they build a gay strip club next door.

BTW, I love how Patters is all for the French banning muslims from praying, but calls americans bigots for not wanting a mosq, ahem, a muslim center so close to the WTC. Pot, kettle, black...
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Since when was practicing whatever religion you wanted something that we promote in america?

This is a christian nation..

When Jesus founded this great country, over 200 years ago, fought alongside George Washington, Abriham Lincoln and Reagan in the Civil War. He said.....and I quote:

Luke Duke 3:15

"Them Muslims are a bunch of terrorists, trying to build things that will taunt you americans (the real children of god). Don't let them build monuments here!"

Then the bible directs you to Pamela Geller's website for some reason?
  13. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Freedom on speech only goes so far i.e. you can't yell fire in a crowded theater without causing an issue.

Building a large monument commemorating a "victory" is what everyone opposed... I'm sure everyone would oppose a KKK building on top of a burned black church in the south.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Oh...my bad...I wasn't waware that his building was constructed as a ccommemoration to the victory on 9-11 by an entire religion.

My bad...I thought it was a community center?

In that case, SCREW THESE PEOPLE! Next thing you know they will be building a giant slingshot on top of the building and taking massive donations of muslim saliva to launch at the new freedom tower.

there is no way in HELL we should stand for people to erect anything near the site of a declared victory!

Excuse me as I get a chilupa from the Taco Bell at the United States largest Military Base in Iraq...
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

Well it is being funded by the Saudi's.....why a 15 story structure instead of the existing 5 story structure nobody cared about?
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

cool...considering that 90% of the hijackers were Saudis...

Bin Laden was a Saudi...

yet we invaded Iraq and erected the largest military base on Earth there, why didn't we build the 10th largest base there, or NONE AT ALL?

VERY american of us...
  17. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We invaded at the behest of the people there being slaughtered by their dictator who had also threatened numerous times to acquire WMDs and who had already used chemical weapons on his own people, killing up to 300,000 Kurds.

EDIT: also, it's funny I don't see you *****ing about our involvement in Libya which continues on for at least several more months if not years with ground troops that Obama promised never to send...
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Ummmm...

with all due respect, we didn't "invaded at the behest of the people there being slaughtered by their dictator who had also threatened numerous times to acquire WMDs and who had already used chemical weapons on his own people, killing up to 300,000 Kurds."

We invaded Iraq at the behest of fake intel, sold to the american public as truth....

also, the UNited States SOLD those WMDs to hussein that he used to kill his own people. in 1982!!! Why didn't Bush1, put him on trial in the 90s, or Clinton?....This narrative is so tired...stop it, please...

Also,

Iraqi's didn't attack us on 9-11, or ever for that matter.

as far as the Lybia thing goes....

I'd need to check, but I'm pretty sure I was against us dropping million dollar bombs while we were under a 'budget crisis' (feel free to use the search function)

I think ALL war is frickin DUMB
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

Muslims hate America.
    Liberals love Muslims
    It's that simple.

Liberals don't give a sh!t about that building it's "offending their new little cause" that they are concerned with.

Liberals will defend a religion that goes against everything the Liberal believes in, thats why liberals are called "moonbats"

All over the world they danced in the streets and the old ladys with their black sheets on cackled and clucked when The Towers Came down.

This is my America, this is my home, f-ck those bastards.
  20. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Put him on trial??? How exactly would that have happened... wow, ignorance personified.

Don't forget Saddam also tried to kill GHWB.

How many UN resolutions got passed justifying force? 14? Going back how far?