Welcome to PatsFans.com

Muslim Brotherhood Makes Fools of Naive West

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Nov 5, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

YID With LID: Muslim Brotherhood Makes Fools of Naive West

A Radical Islamist government in Egypt will be a diaster.
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

What, exactly, would you advocate that our foreign policy should be? Should we be establishing friendly governments in every nation where governments we don't like take over?
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

My guess is that right-wing ignorance about Sharia is part of the problem here. While Sharia law is consistently quite conservative, not all Muslims use a 14th century interpretation of it as to the Taliban, Al Qaeda, and our allies like Saudi Arabia. There are those who claim to subscribe to Sharia law, but interpret it in light of modern reality. The stupidity of originalist thinking does not exist throughout the Muslim world, anymore than it exists throughout the western world.

Furthermore, whatever happens in Egypt underscores the severe failings of Mubarek. People turn to religion when they don't have jobs, safety, health, etc. to turn to. There was no way to prevent the Arab spring; in the long run, it will lead to progress in the ME, but liberalism is not the first choice of desperate people.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You know Patters, people like you would be the first in front of the firing squad in any country that was run according to Sharia law. Maybe that's something you should consider as you display you have more hatred of American conservatives than you do Muslim militants.

Jus' sayin'.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

What do you envision the role ot the US should have been here???

Did you want to spend another couple of trillion of dollars here, the war profiteers would like that???

Maybe send in another force and have more dead soldiers.???..
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

RADICAL Islam is a disgusting & sickening disease on this earth. Something we need to find a permanent vaccine to eradicate once and for all!

There is a cleric in Iran who converted from Islam to Christianity as a child who is now facing the death penalty for his personal decision. The low-life, scum-sucking evil-faced religious leaders of Iran are a world-wide embaressment.

Lookup "Youcef Nadarkhani"

Incidents like this is why the sane world must force the sharia bullsh1t from all nations.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +671 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I like Barry Rubin. He's well-researched, but if he has one shortcoming, it's blurring the lines a bit in his analysis and coming up a bit short on his reasoning as a result. I think that's what's happened here.

Radical Islamism in Egypt...that's not the Brotherhood. Whether or not an Islamist is moderate or radical in Egypt depends on their views on violence. The Brotherhood, at one time, heartily employed violence to achieve their ends, especially during the latter days of King Farouk's reign. Nasser waged a brutal campaign against the group and they eventually gave up violence. Egyptian Islamic Jihad and Al-Gamaa Al-Islamiyya are examples of groups that split from the Muslim Brotherhood because the latter refused to endorse violence as a means of confronting the Sadat regime. Interestingly, though the group does not support violence, they do still distribute (on occasion) the literature of Sayyid Qutb, who was a strong advocate of violence in support of Islamism. Because of these things, people still associate the violent track with the Brotherhood. Then again, had Mubarak hung on for much longer (with our support), it's possible that the group might have started to embrace other options for opposing the regime.

As for their view of Sharia law, Patters is actually pretty spot on. The Brotherhood may strongly support Sharia, but they are also very conscious of how easily they will be able to hold on to their support and power. They've taken many pains to interpret Sharia in a way that runs fairly harmoniously with civil law (Bruce Rutherford wrote a great treatise on this, but I can't remember the name of the book now), not unlike what many Western countries had done when they incorporated Christian moral codes within the civil law (including the US).

Of course, there is always going to be doubt as to whether or not the Brotherhood has been trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes with this "modern interpretation of Sharia law" stuff, but I think they're well aware of the consequences of displeasing the masses. In fact, I get the feeling that there is a fair amount of division within the group, with the older generation being more moderate and the younger being a bit more rigid. That bodes ill for their future as a genuine power party in Egypt.

As for support for the Brotherhood, they had closer to 70% moral support during the Mubarak years, as they and their candidates were jailed and beaten in the run up to and during elections. But, the degree to which that translated to actual support for office is extremely unclear. Somewhere between 13% and 50% is probably right; i.e. we have no real idea. The thinking is that the average Egyptian doesn't have time for Islamist rule and when it comes time to punch the card, they'll not vote for the Brotherhood.

In any event, it's not a time to panic, but Egypt is definitely worth watching. Should the Brotherhood even manage to gain a majority, it bears watching. I think they're going to be careful and calculated in their domestic and foreign policy. They're not Al-Qaeda.
  8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

Let us hope you're right. But one fact stands clear, religion & politics are a dangerous mix. If I were a citizen of any country where Islam was the religion of the majority, I'd feel much safer if my political & religious leaders were not one in the same.
  9. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

You don't have to limit it to Islam. :)
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

See Cain, Bachman and Perry.. they all favor dominionism.
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

Please provide me a list of countries run by other religions.

The fact is, Islamic nations (sharia law) are the only religious nations. Now some countries (like England) have an official religion, but it has nothing to do with running their gov't.

Why do always feel compelled to make sure everything is balanced Chico? If I mention the left, you make sure you mention the right. If I discuss the poor, you chime in with the wealthy...I bring up inner-city, you comment about the rural people.

We are discussing the MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD in this thread and it's implications in Egypt....sharia law, etc.

It is OK, fine & dandy, totally acceptable to focus our discussion exclusively upon the thread subject without making sure the thread has some fuggn "social justice" scale where we make sure no one feelings are hurt. If people's feelings get hurt, do you really care? I don't....
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Believe that Israel may fit this category and of course there is the Vatican..
  13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

You're kidding right? :rofl:
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

No, he's not. Both of those countries exist under religious laws.
  15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

And how many citizens live in this nation called The Vatican?

And do Jewish clerics run Israel?

Why are you and Darryl wasting your time defending a bunch of scum?
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Israel flag is the Star of David, the Jewish Religion dictates what days they can work, what days they should worship etc.

It is as much a theocracy as any other country..
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

No defense of anything just countering your right wing idle pap.. you comments means nothing except the atypical knee jerk reaction..

Back to the topic at hand, what did you want the US to do in Egypt?? Start anther war?? Send some drones in to kill women and children?? Have another 4000+ soldiers killed? Spend a couple of trillion on another war???
  18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Yeah things will just be peachy when the MB wins:

Egypt women fear rise of conservative Islam - Bikya Masr : Bikya Masr

19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Your hysteria is noted, but what did you want the US to do??

Start anther war??

Send some drones in to kill women and children??

Have another 4000+ soldiers killed?

Spend a couple of trillion on another war???
  20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

I actually don't care about Egypt or their citizens as long as what they end up doesn't become a threat to America.

So of course I don't support wasting American lives for Egypt or even iran. Only if they threaten or attack America or our allies.

Enough with the insinuations of right wing bs Darryl. Grow tf up. I don't identify with you or PF13 ideologically. My views don't align with any left or right agenda because I think staying consistently right or left is for stupid people.

Do you realize how often you use the same phrases over and over again.

"epic fail"
    "typical knee-jerk reaction"
    "more right wing talking points"

And on and on you go. I'm not on one side with you on the other pal. The sooner you learn that, the sooner you'll understand the country you live in. All political views are as valid as any other. Neither you nor I are on the "side of righteousness" and we both know that is a FACT. How do I know that? Simple...because no one walking this earth knows what is truly rigtheous.