Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mumbles Menino and his "World Class" nanny city

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 4 / -2

Another example of why this entire area sucks. Really Mumbles? My friends and I were so hoping to be able to go into the Garden and watch the game on the jumbo "trom" in a packed house. Unfortunately, unlike all the other "world class cities" in the country, we can't do that because the moronic mumbling bumbling mayor says so. What a nanny state. Just like a cookie, I hope his flubbering arse crumbles, whenever Varitek next splits the uprights.

Going into town tonight to watch the game in this "world class city"? Well, make sure you lock yourself inside the bar once the 2nd period starts.

1. Bar owners must black out their windows so fans cannot gather outside to watch the game from the sidewalk.
    2. All outdoor furniture must be chained and locked down.
    3. All bars must close their doors at the end of the second period and not allow any additional customers to enter during the 3rd period or OT.
  2. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 6 / -7

Really? All of the things to complain about and this is what you chose?
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +315 / 4 / -2

Jack are you from Boston? YES, this is what I'm complaining about on the eve of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals where the Bruins haven't been in about 20 years, and haven't won in about 40. I wasn't alive the last time the team won the Cup, and EVERY other "world class" city in the northern hemisphere broadcasts the game for their fans inside their home arena, but not Boston. F'n Cleveland broadcasts them. Cleveland! This city blows. It's it the absolute nanny state of cities, in large part to that chooch we have as mayor. I was so looking forward to getting a seat in the garden and going nuts. Thanks Mumbles! :rolleyes:
  4. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

While I think Mumbles is a clown there are a few things that make this a good decision:

1). 3 people have died in other celebrations (Pats, Sox, Celtics).
    2). The Garden has never been opened for an away game before.
    3). More $$ spent on overtime for police, fire, ambulance, etc.

They should put a big screen at City Hall Plaza and make it alcohol free. The people who would have gone to the Garden tonight would happily watch it there.

BTW: The City of Vancouver shut off all alcohol sales on Monday at 6PM local time. At least the boozers in Boston can go to any bar/package store in the City and drink until normal closing times.
  5. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 6 / -7

I mean, the game should of course be broadcast in the home arena. No excuse not to be doing that.

I was commenting exclusively on the bar restrictions.
  6. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 6 / -7

Now THAT is ridiculous.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +315 / 4 / -2

What do people dying have to do with the Garden being open? Those people died from post game celebrations, and one by police stupidity. People will be in Boston regardless. Do you think the city isn't already going to have hundreds or thousands of cops on the streets tonight? Most of the people I know on the BPD have already been called in. This is nothing more than a prime time example of the nanny state at work.

A big screen at city hall where there are no toilets, no seats, and thousands huddled shoulder to shoulder. Yeah, that's more organized than an arena with security in place, fixed seats, a paid for ticket to enter, and a place to piss.
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +315 / 4 / -2

I'm focused on the arena deal, and posted the bar restrictions to show how trivial the nanny state is. Blacken your windows. Really? Can't let anyone in after the 3rd period? It's like telling grown adults they have to wear their seatbelt or be fined. Screw you (the nanny state) I say. [​IMG]
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +601 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I will be watching as always at my desk at home on my JumbleTron ... :p
  10. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Real World: "Going into town tonight to watch the game in this "world class city"? Well, make sure you lock yourself inside the bar once the 2nd period starts.

1. Bar owners must black out their windows so fans cannot gather outside to watch the game from the sidewalk.
    2. All outdoor furniture must be chained and locked down.
    3. All bars must close their doors at the end of the second period and not allow any additional customers to enter during the 3rd period or OT."

"Yeah, Boston should be more like Vancouver with downtown big screens and holding viewing parties for hundreds of thousands of folks!!!!!!!!! What could go wrong??????

I think this thread is probably my favorite ever!!!!!! :D :D :D

CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +315 / 4 / -2

Wow, what an epic fail. So you honestly think that watching the game in the garden would have resulted in cars being burned, and people dying? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahahahahahahahahaha....more days in first place! ahahahahahaha......
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Excuse me, but I believe that's pronounced "jumble-trom."
    They were able to do it in Dallas for the Mavericks. Sure looked like they were having a great time. But nope, can't do it in Boston. Unbelievable.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]
  14. shmessy

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Read the PART of your post that I QUOTED, Einstein.

Yeah, Menino really screwed up badly with all those precautions!!!!! :D :D :D

Man, there was nothing quite like those Fenway Park viewing parties we had when the Sox won the World Series in 2004 and 2007. Good times....good times.....

Nice call, kid! Read a newspaper. Menino is probably the biggest thing holding Boston back from being the world's leading tech city, but he looks like a genius for at least for a few hours.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +315 / 4 / -2

It's so fitting that you see Menino as a "genius". Your words, not mine. Priceless.
  16. shmessy

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

If that's what you think.....

"Menino is probably the biggest thing holding Boston back from being the world's leading tech city, but he looks like a genius for at least for a few hours."

......means, then bless your heart.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +315 / 4 / -2

18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Actually I used the word "genius" (not "genious"). And anyone, even you, can seem like a genius for "a few hours" - - a timeframe that was clearly written in the post.

Most people reading my comment would understand that the gist of it was that he was the main reason an entire city has been held down under its potential for 20 years.

Most reasonable people would have focused on THAT part and not the wry comment about temporarily LOOKING LIKE (which in Chelsea, evidently, means "IS") a genius.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +315 / 4 / -2

Wow, criticizing spelling on an internet forum...

[​IMG]
  20. shmessy

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Wow, seeing the phrase "genius for a few hours" and thinking that means 'all-around genius' is pretty funny.

And, yes, misspelling the word "genius" has an ironic humor all it's own.

So thank you!

Obviously, when Real World reads about someone holding back an entire city's progress, he sees that as some kind of compliment.