PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Multiple views during replay review

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdaniels7114

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Lets say there was a theoretical short yardage play. Because all 22 players were crowding around the ball there was no single clear view on video showing both the ball breaking the plane and the RB's knee not down. However they did capture the play looking down the goal line from both sides. On one view you see the ball just barely over the goal line; but you can't see his knee. On the other you can see when his knee goes down; but not the location of the ball. In both videos you can see something that lets you time reference each event to each other. Maybe the MLB just makes contact with the RB at the moment the ball breaks the plane and you can see that the RB's knee wasn't down at that moment; but only if you look at the other view.

I'm not so sure how good I did explaining my question. In a nutshell, can the ref use two views together to make the call or does he have to pick just the best one and make a decision based on what it shows him alone?

he can do whatever the hell he wants. he is under a hood, all alone, and its his call.

I think he is talking about multiple angles synched up to the same time. So the Ref could say "next frame" and all of the 3 angles he is looking at would advance the same. So, theoretically, one angle shows the knee and another shows the ball. Neither one is conclusive, but when shown side by side they are conclusive.

I do not know the answer, but that is my understanding of the question.

It has to be indisputable and overturn the call on the field.

I would say no, since he doesn't even have one angle showing what would overturn the call already made.

Given depth perception, optical illusions etc., I would think that the minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes