PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mudd and Moore officially retire from Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pleased to hear the news, hopefully they'll have somewhat of a downward transitional period.

I can't wait to see how the colts, and payaton react to losing Dungy, Mudd, and Moore. They haven't been hit like other succesfull teams have in losing they're coahing staff.

I love it. The Colts haven't had to deal with nearly as much coaching turnover and front office turmoil as most teams, and now they've got to adjust to new coaches and coordinators at a variety of positions, while also addressing some of the major weaknesses they displayed last year.

I'll bet we absolutely kill 'em this year. :D

In the spirit of helping out the new coaching staff there in Indianapolis, I'd like to recommend that they change to an option offense. With Manning on the move like that, they'd be unstoppable.

I think this is the harbinger of the demise of the Colts.
I was never a big Dungy fan, and I think a lot of HCs could have taken what he was given and had an awful lot more post-season success, but a lot of other coaches would have have a lot less regular season success.
Moore IS the offensive brains. I'm sure they will try to shove someone into his job to keep the scheme, playbook and thought process, but that NEVER works.
The key to the Colts over the years has been the OL. Manning consistently has had more time and better protection than any QB in the NFL, and more often than not, they run blocked very well.

You simply dont take away the entire brain trust from a team that already appears to be aging and in decline and not have a major step back.
I predict at this moment that the Colts struggle to .500 this year, do not make the playoffs for at least the next 4 years, and Bill Polian leaves Indy without ever seeing another playoff berth. (My impression of him is he gets out when the getting is good and leaves the lean years to someone else) Then their future depends on the rebuild.

Yesssss! Mudd and Moore retire!!! This is great news for us Pats fans. If your a Colts fan....well you still have Peyton Manning, THE MVP.

I think this is the harbinger of the demise of the Colts.
I was never a big Dungy fan, and I think a lot of HCs could have taken what he was given and had an awful lot more post-season success, but a lot of other coaches would have have a lot less regular season success.
Moore IS the offensive brains. I'm sure they will try to shove someone into his job to keep the scheme, playbook and thought process, but that NEVER works.
The key to the Colts over the years has been the OL. Manning consistently has had more time and better protection than any QB in the NFL, and more often than not, they run blocked very well.

You simply dont take away the entire brain trust from a team that already appears to be aging and in decline and not have a major step back.
I predict at this moment that the Colts struggle to .500 this year, do not make the playoffs for at least the next 4 years, and Bill Polian leaves Indy without ever seeing another playoff berth. (My impression of him is he gets out when the getting is good and leaves the lean years to someone else) Then their future depends on the rebuild.
I was hoping Moore would retire, i also think he would be their greatest loss.

Last edited:
I was hoping Moore would retire, i also think he would be their greatest loss.

I was hoping a Colt fan would respond with the "we dont need Moore, Peyton is the brains of the offense" bs.
Its perfect though because that question is going to get answered, and the result is going to be that Manning will no longer get credit for the work of Tom Moore, because the results will decline a lot.
So, as the Colts raise that argument they will get a chance to see whether they are right, however, when they are wrong, I doubt they will accept it.

Hopefully B Kraft will treat our coaches pensions correctly. I don't want Dante going ANYWHERE...

This will be a big blow to the Colts.

They were surmising on NFP today that this couldn't have been the Dungy transition plan. It's one thing to try and elevate the rookie understudy when all the veteran parts, including some he really had little say on, remain. It's another to tap that guy and then have all the veteran coaches exit. Might have been time for a change across the board, although with Polian's ego it would be a hard sell to most of the available veteran candidates. That was what Dungy brought to the mix - the ability to work with all the other egos and just smooth things out. Quiet strength was more like coaching diplomacy. Polian got the credit for the players, Manning got the credit for the offense and winning, Dungy got credit for creating a defense on the cheap and keeping everyone from throwing each other under the proverbial bus.

BTW I believe their nameless DC left after the end of the season, too...

I don't envy their new HC...what's his name...LOL

Man, this is even more coaching turnover than had after 2004. It'll be interesting to see if they can rebound from it.

Last edited:
thats awesome news, polian is probably eating his nails

It's about time the Clots sink back to mediocrity.

I'm not going to write the Colts off yet. As much as we loathe Polian, he still is very good at working the cap, drafting/scouting and evaluating players. Just like BB does, he puts a value on a player and seems to almost always know when to let a player walk and when to pay him.

The world was ready to assume the Pats were done when Weis and RAC left, and yet the Pats survived; I'm sure the Colts will remain competitive as well.

There's really nothing special about Polian as an executive/evaluator of tallent/gm. The Dungy scheme is simple enough for Lenny of Mice and Men fame to coach. You just need to accept ************ as your personal lord and savior, and voila, you can coach it. The offense is give Manning three checks.

Moore was just a heinous looking human being, so I am happy about no longer having to watch him on TV. I'm really looking forward to Polian retiring, but I will truely miss The Bill Polian radio show. If you haven't listened to them, you need to. Tremendous humor.

Last edited:
There's really nothing special about Polian as an executive/evaluator of tallent/gm. The Dungy scheme is simple enough for Lenny of Mice and Men fame to coach. You just need to accept ************ as your personal lord and savior, and voila, you can coach it. The offense is give Manning three checks.

Moore was just a heinous looking human being, so I am happy about no longer having to watch him on TV. I'm really looking forward to Polian retiring, but I will truely miss The Bill Polian radio show. If you haven't listened to them, you need to. Tremendous humor.

I think Polian, as despicable as he is, is the best in the world at that.

from a team that already appears to be aging and in decline

Please define "that already appears to be aging". After the Week 1 games the NFL releases general information about the NFL rosters. - What colleges produced the most NFL players, the average age, the average height, the average weight. For the past 4 years the Colts have been among the youngest teams in the NFL.

Indianapolis Colts Roster

I see 8 Colts who will be at least 30 years once the 2009 season starts. In 2005 the average number of players 30 or over on a NFL team was 10.7; 2006 - 10.8; 2007 - 10.8; 2008 - 10.8.

If the Colts fit your definition of a team "that already appears to be aging", then that definition fits every team.

As much as I despise the Colts I'm not sure it's OK right now to cheer for the departure of two key coaches from them since the Patriots aren't out of the woods yet with their own coaching staff possibly losing major guys as well due to the pension situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes