Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ms Warren and Racism

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes. And people who had never heard of Elizabeth Warren until about 8 months ago are deeply offended and upset by her reprehensible, deliberate lies.

Of course, the people who support Warren gladly turn a blind eye to that which they'd be crucifying a conservative for doing.

2. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

Oh yeah? I guess that's why this has had such a dramatic effect on the race.

And that knife cuts both ways. See Mark Kirk.

3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree. In a race as close as this one, every percentage point counts, so even though it only cost her a few percentage points, that is indeed a dramatic effect.

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +592 / 24 / -19

From a rules perspective, so far the only Cherokee/Native American point of view we have is from someone who said, "I don't believe the 'nicknames' used for Elizabeth Warren are insulting to the Cherokees, per se, but actually insulting to the honorable Natives whose names are being played upon in order to make fun of EW." In other words, those names do not stereotype Cherokees.

However, she seems to say that those names are offensive to Native Americans with similar names. Thus, if your Indian name was Hiawatha, maybe you be insulted by Liawatha. Since the insults are clearly directed at Warren, and not Hiawatha I don't think it's anything for our little forum to worry about.

That said, Pocohonky still presents a problem. Suppose there are some people who are as offended by the term "h-" as others are offended by the word "n-." Seems to me, we have to respect them, even if we find their indignance a little hard to believe.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

People show an awful lot of indignance in here over the dumbest things. Just last week, some lady was telling me how offensive it was that I called her "ma'am." :bricks:

6. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

It did? According to whom?

7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

According to polls on the matter. (I thought that was quite obvious).

I agree with you that it was a small shift. And if this was, say, Kennedy vs. Malone it wouldn't have mattered. But in a race as close as this one, every shift is huge.

8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

The illuminating part of this whole episode was watching the cries of racism directed at the Cherokee people and then when the input was received from a Cherokee groups, watching the libs take of the mask denigrating the Cherokee, doubling down in the insulting actions identified by the spokeswoman for the Cherokee group .

You would think it might cause some to reassess Warren's behavior in the light of someone whose identity was at stake from Warren's lies.

And yet that didn't happen. It makes all the protestations ring hollow and lays bare the rank partisan ship of the Warren supporters.

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

Jack you have inadvertently brought up an interesting point.

The issue of Warren lying about her Cherokee ancestry has been dropped very quickly dropped, the demands of the Cherokee people to meet with Warren have been ignored by both Warren and the media. If the party was changed there would be a media firestorm and it would be a national media uproar, but since the charge is against the dem by American Indians they go under the bus.

10. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

According to which polls, specifically?

11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Specifically: Polls taken by local media outlets.

Jack, I don't understand what it is you're having so much trouble understanding, but I don't have time to hold your hand and walk you through this whole thing one babystep at a time. It's obvious you've decided to live in denial. I think it's absurd to say this entire controversy which gave Warren months of negative press hasn't impacted the race, but hey you have the right to remain ignorant.

12. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

All I'm asking for is a specific poll or set of polls you feel supports the claim you are making.

It's fairly clear you lack any such poll(s), so now you're doing your usual Sammy Davis, Jr. routine where you hem and haw and equivocate rather than simply addressing the question straight on. We've seen this act from you numerous times, which simply underscores that the only time you're worth engaging is late in the afternoon on a slow work day.

13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... you're asking me for a reference. Geez, Jack, why didn't you just say so?!? We could have saved each other about a half dozen posts!

LIke I said, it's a small number - but in a race which is a statistical tie, small numbers are actually very big numbers.

Has Elizabeth Warren put the 'Cherokee issue' behind her? - CSMonitor.com

“The vast majority of voters (72 percent) said the issue would not affect their vote, but 31 percent of self-described independents – a critical voting bloc – said the issue makes them less likely to support Warren in November,” the Globe reported. “The Harvard professor’s popularity has also risen one percentage point, to 48 percent, since the Globe polled in March, but the percentage of detractors has climbed more precipitously, by nine points to 32 percent.”

Warren Gaffes on Native American Roots Enflame Senate Race in Massachusetts - The Ballot 2012 (usnews.com)

According to the survey, nearly 3 in 4 voters said the controversy would not impact their vote. But of the Democrats who say they are voting for Brown now, 43 percent said the Native American issue makes them less likely to vote for Warren and 48 percent of the independents say the same, he says.

14. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

I thought "according to which polls, specifically" was pretty obvious. Then again, I'm sure you understood what I was talking about.

It seems the vast majority of people don't care about this nontroversy. How unexpected.

15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And I gave you the exact references you asked for. Don't get in a hissy just because you had to clarify your request.
    I agree. The solid majority of voters don't care.

What you apparently fail to realize is that the race is currently a statistical tie. Even if it only costs her 3-5 percentage points, which normally is a pretty small number, it could easily be the issue that costs her the election. :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

16. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +915 / 6 / -9

Not hissy at all. I'm just well aware of your passive aggressive shtick, so do me a favor and dispense with it already.

Well, since there's been no appreciable shift thus far, this seems unlikely.

17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think you understood the results ofthe polls I presented to you. Oh well.

18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

This is probably a silly question do you care about Warren stealing the heritage of these Cherokee people for her personal gain?

Shouldn't she honor their request for a meeting?

Cmon on Jack be a big boy and state your opinion.

19. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +470 / 3 / -3

#11 Jersey

Democrats/Liberals seem to think that since they pay lip-service to minorities that they should have the final say on what is and what is not racist. A minority group can only be offended based on what the dem/lib feels should be insulting.

There is one white person on this board that has said a few times that other white people can not know what it is like to be a minority even as this same white person professes to understand what it is like for minorities.

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

You do understand that there are white people who are minorities, don't you?

You can be a white person and know what it's like to be a member of a minority....ask any gay, lesbian, Jewish, Muslim or handicapped individual.... ask the relatives of any of those people.