Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ms Warren and Racism

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Aug 11, 2012.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

After the recent furor over the use of the terms Lieawtha and Pocohonky to refer to Elizabeth Warren, I sent an email to the Group of Cherokee Indians who run the "Cherokees Demand Truth site.

I told her of the controversy surrounding the use of the terms Lieawatha and Pocohonky to refer to Warren. I also linked the threads where Warren was discussed and asked them to review the threads and provide feedback as to whether her as an American Indian (I used the term Native American in my email and was informed that she preferred the term American Indian). The spokeswoman for the group was kind enough to reply.

Since a number of people here believe that I an a liar, Patters has a copy of the exchange (on my personal email account of course), and can verify it occurred.

These are the threads she reviewed:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/12/919599-more-news-about-lieawatha.html
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-englan...s-birthday-gift-gop-ancestry-com-account.html
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-englan...berg-endorses-scott-brown-over-pocohonky.html
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/12/932983-more-lieawatha.html

She felt that this sort of thing (using the terms Lieawatha & Pocohonky) was a double edged sword.

She does not feel the names used are not insulting to Cherokees but insulting to the "honorable Natives" in insulting Warren. She is frustrated by the media feeding stereotypes of American Indians.

In reviewing the threads I linked she felt that E Warren was being made fun of, NOT American Indians by the posters using the terms (Lieawtha & Pocohonky).

The other side of the sword is what disturbed her as an American Indian. That is Warren supporters even bringing this up at all.

She was bothered that Warren supporters didn't realize it is insulting to the Cherokee for Warren to cling to her false claim of Cherokee ancestry. If she told the truth she would end the use of nicknames and stereotypes. She doesn't "necessarily like" being made by her opponents but Warren is the root of the problem, absent Warren's lie about her ancestry thee terms wouldn't be used.

The Cherokee are highly insulted by Warren using their ancestry for HER personal gain and would like the emphasis there.

She found it very insulting that people would support Warren after her fraud had been exposed by this group of Cherokee. The fact that people would believe her after she used Cherokee's as a "stepping stone" was "HIGHLY insulting as if we and our feelings really don't matter".

She says that one of the few thing American Indians have left is their identity and that MS Warren is trying to steal that. She doesn't understand how the Warren supporters overlooking that and instead being offended by a nickname and picture doesn't make sense to her.

She sent this link where the Cherokee group debunks Warren;s story"

Cherokees Demand Truth from Elizabeth Warren: Debunking Elizaeth Warren's Family Myth

A couple of takeaways from her email.

To the Warren opponents, focus on Warren and avoid the nicknames, they appreciate your support is opposing Warren's lie and attempt to steal the Cherokee ancestry. They do understand there is no intent to insult American Indians.

To the Warren supporters stop insulting Indians by supporting Warren's lie and focusing on the wrongs things that is nicknames and pictures rather than the theft of the Cherokees identity by Warren.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

Hmm... the intent was to insult Warren and the manner of doing it was insulting to native Americans... wonder if anybody here said that...
  3. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +333 / 4 / -10

elizabeth warren is a clown........amazing that she is the best democrat MA could come up with
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Like I said in the other thread:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-elizabeth-warren-native-americans-page5.html

So they dislike Elizabeth Warren....no surprise there - that's their objective, that's what they were formed for.

However, they also dislike the terms used to describe her, and by association, the Indian Nation. No surprise there, either.

So, does that mean you will now remove threads which use racial/ethnic stereotypical names and mock parody which uses terms like "Lieawatha" and "wampum" and "me big firewater drinker." or will you continue to say they are not racist and hit the "like" button when other people do so?

BTW, I am still waiting for a response from the bona-fide Cherokee Nation people. I will let you know if and when I receive one.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

lizzie warren is a goof ball sap, she looks like one of those people who pour water on beached whales.
  6. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL so their input is invalid -- you need "bona-fide"... amazing. What a racist.
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

I relayed her suggestions, perhaps you should take her and the Cherokee feelings into account rather than continuing to insult them.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

What a bizarre response.

If you and I were arguing about abortion and I quoted you something from a group called "Republican Women in Support of Roe v Wade" would you accept them as spokewomen for the entire Republican female population?

Could I call legitimately you a sexist if you did not?
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Does this mean you are now acknowledging that Paterdomous's posts and your "liking" of his posts was, indeed, insulting?
  10. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -9

#87 Jersey

OK leftist. Time to stop your phoney bullsh!t. and put up.

Let me know what you get an answer from Warren when you write to her and ask her 'Whos place did you take when you lied about your non AMERICAN INDIAN heritage?

Leftist, are you comfortable with the fact that AMERICAN INDIANS would prefer to be called AMERICAN INDIANS instead of Native Americans. Ever ask yourselves who the fxck do you think you are thinking you are the final arbirters of politically correct labels or speech?
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

She explicitly said that it was not insulting to her due to the clear intent to mock Warren and that any insult was from Warren. She would prefer that they not use the names to avoid the sort of deflections that her supporters engaged in.

Have you gone to the site as she requested?

You seem to be marginalizing the feelings of these Cherokee because they dare to oppose Warren stealing their identity.
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

And you seem to be forgetting that they found the language being used by Paterdomous and condoned by yourself to diss Warren was also disrespectful to them, too.

You also seem to be ignoring the fact that I never stuck up for Warren in this thread at all - rather my only complaint was the language being used to protray Native American speech patterns.

Do you acknowledge that this group has but one express purpose and that purpose is to discredit Elizabeth Warren or do you think they speak for all Native Americans when they discredit her?

If they speak for all Native American why did they need to form their own group which has a miniscule number of members and why has not the entire organization come forth to discredit Ms. Warren?

After all, there are 5.2 million American Indians and this non-recognized group has but 700 Facebook members. Hardly representative.

American Indians: Census Facts — Infoplease.com

Cherokee Nation Members Start Online Effort Against Elizabeth Warren | TechPresident
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

Where is Don Rickles when you REALLY need him?
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

Black comedians are still allowed to do it.
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Interesting how the right is so concerned about Warren's heritage and exaggeration of it, so much so they coin racist pictures and commentary...

But believe it is ok to post racist pictures and use misogynist/racist terms of native americans.. duplicity at its finest..

Cannot have it both ways.. keep liking those racist posts Mr. Mod..
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

The The Cherokee spokeswoman felt they weren't racist that MS Warren and her defenders were the one who were offending them as American Indians.

So I will go with the opinion of the American Indian over what is racist in her eyes to the opinion of a White Liberal who doesn't know anything about the Cherokee people.

Will you apologize for supporting a person who is lying and stealing the Identity of the Cherokee unjustly and doesn't have the integrity to meet with them ?

Or will you continue to make these statements they she considers "Highly insulting"?

Why do you want to continue insulting these people with your support of Warren they find offensive?
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Well then perhaps you can explain what these two statement mean:

The double negative confuses me. She doesn't think the names are not insulting would imply that they are.

In this case, 13, "we" are the media. Using the derogatory terms Paterd used would be "feeding the stereotypes," wouldn't it?
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Clearly I can't attest to that since I am not privy to the communication. All I am getting here is double negatives and your tortured interpretation of what may or may not have been said.

Bow, I never spoke up for Warren in the first place. And your letter is not from a Cherokee "spokeswoman," it is from someone who belongs to a Facebook group with an anti-Warren agenda.

I prefer to wait and see if I hear back from these people History since they have no pre-ordained agenda.