PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"MR." Tom Brady, please come back to us....please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so I can disagree with everyone here: yes, Tom played "well enough" to win those playoff games. But Tom Brady made his name by playing his best when it was needed most and when the odds were stacked highest against him. That's what differentiated Brady from Manning. Sure, he had decent enough "Tom Brady" games in those playoff losses. But if he played like "Tom ******* Brady" in those games, the results would have been very different.

And BTW, this has absolutely nothing to do with kids, armpits, or waterslides. That's all a bunch of bull****.

Sorry PJ but I call BS (and you're better than that) on Tom's ability to alter the course of those games. Tom can't stop 3rd down conversions let alone of the circus variety or a defense (or OL) getting run over or will players not to drop TD passes nor can he counter botched fake punts or a lousy game plan. Even Montana couldn't do that - or he'd have won a dozen rings... No matter what he does at the end of the day, his performance is dependent on 44 other guys at minimum just doing their job, and while that used to be a given on Belichick coached teams it hasn't been for some time now. Between defections and guys aging out and injuries that the FO couldn't compensate for and inexperience in transition we've been fortunate to have a QB like Brady who makes the most of whatever hand he's dealt. That's what's kept us in contention come what may. One day in the not so distant future we won't be so fortunate, and maybe then in hindsight as is usually the case recently entitled fans here will finally appreciate what they had for over a decade...

Although you're right that his performance has nothing to do with waterslides...

And just to truly point out the incredible ridiculousness of your STUNK comment regarding the '89 QB rating,' I have given you a nice little list of all-time great QB's who NEVER reached the '89' plateau. Every single player on this list is either in the HOF, or will be in the HOF.

Your whole argument is so incredibly sad, and apparently you have no idea what an 89 QB rating represents. Especially given your 'STUNK' comment, which is just...completely ignorant at best. When you throw 300 yds and 2 TD's with an 89 QB rating against one of the nicest defensive schemes that we have seen in a while---all while running for your life on a broken foot, and the only thing your supposed 'fans' can say is that you stunk---that is just a travesty. You my friend, are incredibly spoiled.

1. Joe Montana only had an alltime QB rating of 92 (3 pts higher than your guy who ...."STUNK" as you put it)

Now...here are those who NEVER reached the '89' rating for their careers. You may recognize a couple of names:

---Peyton Manning QB rating of 88.1

---Brett Favre QB rating of 86.9

---Dan Marino QB rating of 86.4

---TOM BRADY QB rating of 85.9

---Jim Kelly QB rating of 84.4

---Roger Staubauch QB rating of 83.4

---Dan Fouts QB rating of 80.2

---John Elway QB rating of 79.9

Your whole example of an 89 rating being so horrible is one of the poorest I have seen here in a while, if not EVER.

An 89 QB rating in your one and only playoff game of the season is not a clutch performance by a good QB. That is the performance of a QB on the downside of his career.

Sorry PJ but I call BS (and you're better than that) on Tom's ability to alter the course of those games. Tom can't stop 3rd down conversions let alone of the circus variety or a defense (or OL) getting run over or will players not to drop TD passes nor can he counter botched fake punts or a lousy game plan. Even Montana couldn't do that - or he'd have won a dozen rings... No matter what he does at the end of the day, his performance is dependent on 44 other guys at minimum just doing their job, and while that used to be a given on Belichick coached teams it hasn't been for some time now. Between defections and guys aging out and injuries that the FO couldn't compensate for and inexperience in transition we've been fortunate to have a QB like Brady who makes the most of whatever hand he's dealt. That's what's kept us in contention come what may. One day in the not so distant future we won't be so fortunate, and maybe then in hindsight as is usually the case recently entitled fans here will finally appreciate what they had for over a decade...

Although you're right that his performance has nothing to do with waterslides...

Maybe my expectations for TFB are too high.

Of course I can't blame Tom in particular for those losses. But I still think that if he played at the all-universe level that we've come to expect from him, the Pats could have won 2 of those games. It's not his fault he's human. What bugs me is he did demonstrate that all-universe level in many games in-between those 3 debacles. Makes me think "what if..."

If we had a "normal" quarterback those thoughts would never enter my head. So I guess I'm convicting him for his greatness, so to speak. He'll survive somehow.

An 89 QB rating in your one and only playoff game of the season is not a clutch performance by a good QB. That is the performance of a QB on the downside of his career.

Good thing for Colts and Steelers fans they didn't ascribe to that theory...or they'd be out some rings...

Maybe my expectations for TFB are too high.

Of course I can't blame Tom in particular for those losses. But I still think that if he played at the all-universe level that we've come to expect from him, the Pats could have won 2 of those games. It's not his fault he's human. What bugs me is he did demonstrate that all-universe level in many games in-between those 3 debacles. Makes me think "what if..."

If we had a "normal" quarterback those thoughts would never enter my head. So I guess I'm convicting him for his greatness, so to speak. He'll survive somehow.

Thing is people are blaming him in part because they believe he can overcome any odds because he has to for us to win 'em all... He had some special players (and coaches) in their primes surrounding him on those earlier teams. He was the difference maker for sure, compared say to his predecessor...but the fact remains the teams he's played with since haven't had nearly as special a supporting cast. And we're not talking sheer talent either. At times since he's had more of that. Only talent alone doesn't win at this level. We're talking driven team football players and savvy coaches. Hopefully they are building up to that again but they ain't there yet...and Tom can't drag 'em any farther than he has until they're ready again.

I'm with PJ here. The TFB I know had sub par games compared to his stellar legacy playoff benchmarks. While the Jints and the playoff losses were team and coaching staff losses Tom did not play up to past standards especially in the last 2 playoff losses. I agree that had he even done so, we would still have lost. Bummer.

Sweet, a patsfan argument, with the lockout this place has been dead.

Simply put, Brady has not been Brady the last two playoff games.

"Hey, I'll throw a screen pass to BJGE since he's open and its only a 5 yard pass" Over his head and picked, luckily Crumpler didn't give up on that play.

He was just plain bad against the Ravens.

Hopefully with the four young RBs Brady won't have to throw it 45 times in the Jets game.

I'm with PJ here. The TFB I know had sub par games compared to his stellar legacy playoff benchmarks. While the Jints and the playoff losses were team and coaching staff losses Tom did not play up to past standards especially in the last 2 playoff losses. I agree that had he even done so, we would still have lost. Bummer.

If Brady simply avoids tossing a pick on that screen pass against the Jets, the Patriots probably win that game easily. The Jets were backpedaling and scared. They were already having 45-3 flashbacks. The pick gave them hope and momentum.

YOU have the blinders on. Why would I? I am a life long, hard core Patriots fan. You've never said anything negative about a Patriot player in your life. I am open minded. Thus, one of us has blinders on and it's not me.
So you have declared yourself open minded. Sweet.

It's futile to argue with you, because your approach is to state the obvious, and change that to be the argument. That's what you do, and you did it again.
It is impossible to argue with the weak argument you have. I changed nothing.

Case in point, who said having a wife and kids makes people give up their jobs? That's assinine. Give up their job? Really AJ?
You are saying that because he has a wife and kids he devotes less time to football. I am saying millions of people continue to do their job just as well when their personal life changes.

Do you watch sports? Have you ever noticed a pattern, that some of the all time greats seem to have this unbelievable work ethic. They work long and harder, and study film, and practice, and practice, and prepare? Brady was famous for it during the Super Bowl years.
And you have evidence that he doesnt do this now? Please don't give me the lame 'parking spot' argument.

Let me just say that he has EVERY right to put his family first.
He does not have to choose between them. He just won the MVP, so I think he worked pretty hard.

But for you to blindly and automatically say that any change in Brady's ways absolutely has nothing to do with the 3 straight one and dones.
Seem, here is where you are off the wall. It is you that is saying without any evidence that Brady has devoted less time to football, and use a ridiculous guess at a reason to support it.
3 staright one and dones? I thought we were in the SB in 2007? Are you seriously putting the blame squarely on Brady when we lost to team scoring over 30 points by dominating our D so bad they only needed to attempt 10 passes, or losing a game when he completed over 60% of his passes for 300 yards?
Sorry your feelings are hurt that the Patriot lost 2 playoff games.
I got news for you, there were many deficiencies on those 2 teams, and they werent the QB. See just because I disagree with your negative comment about the Patriots doesn't mean there is nothing negative, you just are wrong.

So having a wife and kids doesn't make a person fail, or give up their jobs. I do know this. When I was single I worked out 2 to 3 hours a day. I'm a husband and dad now, and am lucky if I even get to the gym.
That is a you issue, not a Tom Brady issue. If you made your living as an athlete, working out is part of your JOB, not a hobby.

I used to skate all the time, and can't remember the last time I did.
hobby
I played in a county football league when I was single, but am doing too many family things, and can't any more.
Hobby
I played in a Sunday night basketball league for years, until getting married.
Hobby
I studied religiously for continuing education, and just don't have the time to do so anymore.
Hobby
It doesn't matter in my line of work, but can you at least consider that it might, just might matter to a professional quarterback.
His JOB matters, much more than your HOBBIES.
You don't say anywhere in here where you job suffered.
As I said his personal live changed. You showed where yours did.
How does any of that have to do with his job?

So, I don't begrudge Brady, because I'm the same way.
If you didn't let those things affect your job, you may be.

But for an athlete that was the first to Gillette, the last to leave, was a workout warrior, was intertwined with his teammates in preparation, and was legendary for his film sessions with Weis and others. To say, 'oh, he still works out, it doesn't affect him, he's still the same', is (no disrespect) ignorant, and yes, tells me that you have blinders on.
You showed all those things you used to do in your PERSONAL life that you do not do any more. I'm sure Brady did things in his personal life be doesnt do any more.
How many hours do you think it takes to work out and watch film when it is your job? Do you really think he worked out 12 hours a day?
I understand what you are saying, but you are way off the mark here. You cannot equate what you did in your free time to how he does his job.
On top of that you have shown no proof that Brady has been affected in that way other than listing how marraige affected your hobbies.

Is he one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL with what he's doing to prepare now? Yes.
He was the MVP. I think that makes him #1, nice of you to put him in the top 5.

However, he's arguably had better targets to throw to since the 07 Super Bowl, and has lost 3 straight games. When we knew him as the Brady winning parking spaces for his offseason work ethic, he was 10 and 0 in the playoffs. In the last 9 games he is 4 and 5.
And he had a better team and defense then. Are you suggesting that winning or losing is 100% Brady?

Many here would blast Manning for his great regular season, and poor playoffs. Now that Brady is doing the same, we are hearing an awful lot of excuse makers and apologists.
Because Manning is a poor post season QB. Brady is not, even if you wish to blame 09 and 10 on him.

I love Brady, and am proud he's our QB. But, I am not willing, like so many, to put others down for even the mention of the possibility that his change in approach has anything to do with the less than desireable post season results. Again, that's ignorant.
So I am 'ignorantly putting you down' to disagree with you?
You have decided that the PAtriots have lost their last 3 playoff games because Brady got married. You have zero evidence, other than explaining that you gave up hobbies when you got married, and therefore Brady must devote less time to his JOB, and you think out of every reason 31 of the 32 teams dont win Championships, even despite the fact that Bradys play was not the reason for the losses, you have chosen this one and bunkered yourself down to say that anyone who doesn't believe your perception (and you cannot tell me you have any clue how much film Brady watches now or how much he works out) that this has to be the case and you are indignant that anyone could disagree?
Who has blinders on?

If Brady simply avoids tossing a pick on that screen pass against the Jets, the Patriots probably win that game easily. The Jets were backpedaling and scared. They were already having 45-3 flashbacks. The pick gave them hope and momentum.

Nothing came of that INT beyond a missed FG that should have shifted any momentum right back, only it didn't... They were up 3-0 after a quarter following a dropped TD pass and down 14-3 at the half because of a 5 play 54 yard less than 2 minute scoring drive following a crappy punt and then a 33 second drive following a botched fake punt that never should have happened. The offense closed the gap to 14-11 only to have the defense give up a score roughly 2 minutes AGAIN on the JETS next drive...and then again in a matter of seconds following a FG and a botched onside kick attempt...after which we scored again to no avail as the clock was running out...

A lot of really bad schit happened in that game, most of the worst of it when Brady was on the sidelines...

"Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"
"Tommy, get off the waterslide and come paint my nails......NOW!
"Uh Oh!"

What nonsense. Will the endless excusemaking for Brady ever end??
The highest paid player in the NFL hasn't played at an elite level in the playoffs in YEARS and that includes '07. No one is saying Brady is a bum or Brady isn't a top notch QB. What we are saying and ACCURATELY so is that his big game performances in recent years have not been big by any measure. Stop with the endless pucker for Brady. The criticism of him and his game has been very justified. He's morphed into Peyton Manning. Big stats with little meaningful results. And if you are offended by the hilarious critique of Tom's rather embarrassing feminine ways then take that up with Tom.

Though nothing resulted it seemed to alter the Patriots attitude too and approach thereafter. On 3rd thought, I'm projecting my attitude here.

Worst was the Chung play which made me recall the failed 4th down catch by Bruschi in the Donks massacre of the Pats.

100% agreed. Sure, no points came from this mistake, but you could tell the Jets would be backpedaling. Ex. "O crap, here they come marching down the field on us already."

Also, I want the posters thoughts on the five sacks that happened in that game. People were fast to blame the O-line, but I'm not so sure.

YouTube - ‪Brady's Five Sacks‬‏

Sack 1: O-lines fault. Maybe that sack doesn't happen with Marcus Cannon rather than Connolly.

Sack 2: Brady's fault. He had a good 4 seconds to throw the ball. Instead of getting sacked throw it to Woody to have a 4th and 1 or maybe he converts.

Sack 3: Brady. Did he seriously motion Woodhead on the opposite side of the blitzing CB?

Sack 4: Both. He didn't have much time but throw it to BJGE right in front for a 5-7 yard gain instead of 3rd and 18 its 3rd and 3.

Sack 5: Both. Connolly gets owned but instead of dancing around the pocket throw to Woodhead for a 2 yard gain.

Brady's decision making was questionable at times. I don't understand why he doesn't throw it to the RBs for a short gain when they are open.

Last edited:
Though nothing resulted it seemed to alter the Patriots attitude too and approach thereafter. On 3rd thought, I'm projecting my attitude here.

Worst was the Chung play which made me recall the failed 4th down catch by Bruschi in the Donks massacre of the Pats.

Yeah, I love Brady, but that one play changed the entire complexion of the game. It's not that Brady sucked, it's that his first human moment in weeks gave life to a team that was waiting to be buried.

They had a chance to reestablish themselves after that, but that's where the Crumpler drop came in.

Last edited:
you can'tcompare qbs of the 80's/90's ratings with qbs of today because the game has been slanted in favor of offenses

of course qb ratings back then would be ALOT lower than qb ratings of today ( ints are lower today than back then)

The problem with this thinking is that 2 of the greatest QB's of the current generation are also on there:

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady---and NEITHER has an all time average of a '89' QB rating.

What nonsense. Will the endless excusemaking for Brady ever end??
The highest paid player in the NFL hasn't played at an elite level in the playoffs in YEARS and that includes '07. No one is saying Brady is a bum or Brady isn't a top notch QB. What we are saying and ACCURATELY so is that his big game performances in recent years have not been big by any measure. Stop with the endless pucker for Brady. The criticism of him and his game has been very justified. He's morphed into Peyton Manning. Big stats with little meaningful results. And if you are offended by the hilarious critique of Tom's rather embarrassing feminine ways then take that up with Tom.
I'm curious, what exactly is it that bothers you?

Brady's salary? Are you implying that whatever team employs the highest paid player in the league should win the Super Bowl every year?

Are rival fans giving you a hard time because the Patriots have not won a Super Bowl in a few years (perhaps trotting out the wornout 'haven't won anything since spygate' line), and you don't know how to respond?

Are rival fans trotting out the wornout line about Brady's alleged sexual preference, and you don't know how to respond?

It seems to me that you are more hung up on the photographs of Brady than in the Patriots losing. The only explanations I can think of is that fans of other teams are giving you crap about it, or that you tie your own self esteem to the results of the team, and your own masculinity to the public persona of the team's quarterback.

Football is the ultimate team game. The line needs to block, the receivers need to get open and catch the ball, the running backs need to get the tough yards, the defense needs to play well, and the coaches need to gameplan and make the right calls and adjustments. The quarterback gets way too much credit when a team wins - and way too much blame for a loss.

By the way, regarding the comment that Brady has not had a good playoff game since prior to '07 - you may want to rewatch the game against Jacsonville from that post season. Tyree doesn't make the ridiculous catch and people are talking about Brady's winning TD drive instead.

Tyree doesn't make the ridiculous catch and people are talking about Brady's winning TD drive instead.

Yeah, but wasn't Brady back there covering Tyree?? :rolleyes:

He could've shot one of those mini-cannons from his spot on the sidelines, thus breaking up the infamous helmet catch. That's the Brady I know and remember. Now he just hangs out and waits for the offense to get the ball back.

Mods, please close this stupid thread.

With fans like many of these, Brady doesn't need enemies.

Mods, please close this stupid thread.

With fans like many of these, Brady doesn't need enemies.

No one is Brady's enemy. Fans are just starved for a single playoff victory.

When the Jets make it past us two consecutive years to the AFC conference finals, no one is going to be happy.

Just like when Brady got the lion's share of the credit during the Superbowl wins of years ago, the flip side of that dirty coin is that he is going to take the lion's share of the blame now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes