PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mr.Perfect.....Shayne Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bingo. Graham will have his pick of employment next year, it just won't be with the Pats (contingent on Ghost's recovery, of course).

When he signed, contract terms were not disclosed so it could be a two year deal. In that case, they can bring him to camp, as you said to ensure Gost is healed and as another leg. They can always cut him at the end or maybe trade him and get a 7th rounder.... It's insurance and a win-win for Graham as some team will always be looking for a kicker and IF he can perform this post-season, all the better for him.

gost isn't that good. That's the sad thing. He's very iffy on FGs. Just flat out misses too many.

Kickoffs he's good at. Big deal.

gost isn't that good. That's the sad thing. He's very iffy on FGs. Just flat out misses too many.

Kickoffs he's good at. Big deal.

Ask BB how much of a big deal kickoffs are. :eek:

l.

now I know we are setting the bar pretty high. his 84.3% career FG percent is 7th best all time. ( Graham is 3rd) per pro-football reference...FWIW I wouldn't trust Kaeding in the playoffs.....

. Nate Kaeding (28) 86.500% 2004-2010 sdg .....
2. Mike Vanderjagt 86.466% 1998-2006 2TM .....
3. Shayne Graham (33) 85.950% 2001-2010 5TM .....
4. Garrett Hartley (24) 85.714% 2008-2010 nor ....
5. Rob Bironas (32) 85.561% 2005-2010 oti .....
6. Robbie Gould (28) 85.484% 2005-2010 chi ....
7. Stephen Gostkowski (26) 84.3%

Last edited:
now I know we are setting the bar pretty high. his 84.3% career FG percent is 7th best all time. ( Graham is 3rd) per pro-football reference...FWIW I wouldn't trust Kaeding in the playoffs.....

. Nate Kaeding (28) 86.500% 2004-2010 sdg .....
2. Mike Vanderjagt 86.466% 1998-2006 2TM .....
3. Shayne Graham (33) 85.950% 2001-2010 5TM .....
4. Garrett Hartley (24) 85.714% 2008-2010 nor ....
5. Rob Bironas (32) 85.561% 2005-2010 oti .....
6. Robbie Gould (28) 85.484% 2005-2010 chi ....
7. Stephen Gostkowski (26) 84.3%

That surprises me. I would guess that for a 40 yard FG, gost is about 60/40 tops to make it.

If Graham comes through in the clutch this postseason, I don't see why its not an open competition next year in camp, at least until Gostkowski proves that he has no residual effects of the injury whatsoever.

Field goal accuracy (direct correlation to points) > touchbacks ( indirect correlation to points)

Its Gostkowski's job next season. Graham makes me nervous and while he has hit all FG, he's also missed at least one XP. Also, its not like he's kicking the tough FG. Only one from 40+ (a 41 yarder). Kinda reminds me of Gostkowski's first season when BB would not put too much pressure on him and have him only kick the easier ones. If we need a deep FG in the playoffs, I'm not sure that Graham is the guy you call on. I can easily see BB going for it on 4th and 4 from the opponents 32 rather than letting Graham try the FG.

Plus, Gostkowski's kickoffs are much better.

Its Gostkowski's job next season. Graham makes me nervous and while he has hit all FG, he's also missed at least one XP. Also, its not like he's kicking the tough FG. Only one from 40+ (a 41 yarder). Kinda reminds me of Gostkowski's first season when BB would not put too much pressure on him and have him only kick the easier ones. If we need a deep FG in the playoffs, I'm not sure that Graham is the guy you call on. I can easily see BB going for it on 4th and 4 from the opponents 32 rather than letting Graham try the FG.

Plus, Gostkowski's kickoffs are much better.

They'll probably keep Graham around until they know that Gostkowski will be OK, but if they felt they could conceivably do better than the Ghost, I'm guessing they wouldn't have signed him to the richest ST contract ever offered by a sane owner. :)

Thanks for the great job to help us finish the season! Good luck wherever you go next season. Assuming there is a next season.

Couldn't have asked for more. Ok, maybe a few longer kickoffs and not missing the XP, but the conditions sucked on both XP, so I'll let em slide.

Seems at least someone was ready for the playoff game.

Shayne was a very nice fill-in. Assuming Gost gets back to form, though, he's a goner. The real loss was in kick-off distances, imo.

Thank you Shayne, did a fine job for us. No screwups in key moments and his onside kick was good enough to give us a fair shot at recovery, if not for a unlucky deflection off someone's leg. It's probably going to go generally unnoticed how key his performance was after losing Ghostkowski, but knowing how unpredictable the kicker position is these days and how many teams had kicker issues we had a great find. Shayne filled in admirably, I salute him

Last edited:
Shayne was a very nice fill-in. Assuming Gost gets back to form, though, he's a goner. The real loss was in kick-off distances, imo.

He didn't have the distance, but I think the avg starting position for opponents was nearly the same. I think it's more perception than anything that we lost much there.

I guess what we really lost was that assurance that there would be no return on occasion.

He did okay. No worries on field goals. The onside kick was perfect.

Shayne did a fine job when called upon for us. No, he never had to kick a clutch field goal, but he made them all.

Thank you, Mr. Graham.

Shayne did a fine job when called upon for us. No, he never had to kick a clutch field goal, but he made them all.

Thank you, Mr. Graham.

I consider both kicks yesterday clutch. But mostly the second one. As game was over if he missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back