Mr. Dungy? Your wake-up call...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does the following scenario make sense to anybody else here....

1) We know the game plan going in was to throw until Minnesota's D woke up and showed an adjustment was in order - which it just plain never was.

2) We know that the spread offense is hell on a cover 2 defense.

3) We know that Dungy still thinks it's 2002 and loves the cover 2 as a base defense.

Not that we're going in with a game plan calculated for the NEXT week -- that's not the point. The point is, in answer to the question "what's Tom still out there for? Why are they still throwing?" might the answer not be:

"Hey Tony, we know how to pitch and catch now"?

That sets up Dillon and Maroney in a way not possible if the Colts were pretty much confident they could defend the pass -- and puts us right back in the grind-it-out comfort zone. Unless they're dumb enough to stack the box.

Or am I just attempting to over-think the obvious fruits of a team hitting on all 8 cylinders in every phase of the game? I'm far from the expert some of you guys are, but I'd love to hear thoughts on this.

All I know for sure is if I were Dungy, I'd be soiling my pants right now.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
All I know for sure is if I were Dungy, I'd be soiling my pants right now.

PFnV

Did you say Dungy's WAKE UP call ?

Elsewhere i posted that
last night
neither Dungy
nor his DC
slept well ... if they slept at all.

Last edited:
Why clue Dungy in on it ahead of time. If you can do it, better to keep it quiet and take the Colts by surprise.

sieglo said:
Why clue Dungy in on it ahead of time. If you can do it, better to keep it quiet and take the Colts by surprise.

Yeah okay, there is that. So why the uncharacteristic continuation of the passing ways (rather than concerted attempts at clock-killin'?)

The thesis is: Colts are soft on the run to begin with, and just soft in general. Keeping the pace manageable and our D off the field against the Colts works best with the running game... and the running game is set up that much more if the Colts are aware from the first kickoff that they have to account for, nay, focus on the passing game.

Weak thesis I know... it's getting all Wallace-Shawn-in-Princess-Bride. But whether or not intended, it sure has that effect, if you ax me.

PFnV

Yep, your Sicilian side is sipping Iocane wine. Dungy sleeps like a baby before a road game in Foxborough, tranquilizers usually have that affect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots