PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

moving up AND down

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
EDIT: A thousand apologies. I thought I was in the draft forum when I posted this. After all the yapping I did about how nice it was to have all the draft stuff in one place, I go and put draft stuff on main board. Oh, well, after Sunday, it won't matter except for 2008 draft talk ...

There has been talk about packaging our number one's and moving up, and also talk about dropping back to get a second round pick.

Has anyone given thought to doing both?

Why not trade our two number ones to Green Bay or Jacksonville for their first and second round picks? This would work out nicely if a guy like Willis or Hall were available around pick 16.

Instead of 24 and 28, we will have picks 16 and 47 (Green Bay), or 17 and 48 (Jacksonville)

The points on the draft chart are close, and could be adjusted giving an additional late round pick to Green Bay or getting one from Jacksonville.

24-28 1400 points
16-47 1430 points
17-48 1370 points

Last edited:
There has been talk about packaging our number one's and moving up, and also talk about dropping back to get a second round pick.

Has anyone given thought to doing both?

Why not trade our two number ones to Green Bay or Jacksonville for their first and second round picks? This would work out nicely if a guy like Willis or Hall were available around pick 16.

Instead of 24 and 28, we will have picks 16 and 47 (Green Bay), or 17 and 48 (Jacksonville)

The points on the draft chart are close, and could be adjusted giving an additional late round pick to Green Bay or getting one from Jacksonville.

24-28 1400 points
16-47 1430 points
17-48 1370 points

I would do that if Willis were available. Which I dont think he will. And even if he was, the question is, would BB and Pioli do it? I dont think they would. I have been hearing for a while now how much depth there is in rounds 2-4 in this years draft, and I think they would be more likely to trade down and pick up an extra 3rd in the process.

I would do that if Willis were available. Which I dont think he will. And even if he was, the question is, would BB and Pioli do it? I dont think they would. I have been hearing for a while now how much depth there is in rounds 2-4 in this years draft, and I think they would be more likely to trade down and pick up an extra 3rd in the process.
Agree, the problem being is that the people with picks in the 2-4 rounds know this also, so why would they trade up?

I am not enamoured of the picks likely to go in the 20's. I think picks in the 30's and 40's and 50's could be just as good.

That's why I would move up high to grab a player a notch about the rest, and have a pick in the second round also.

Of course, my absolute preference would be like you. In fact, I would trade pick 28 for a second round this year and a first next year, and then turn around and do the sme thing with pick 24. The problme will be finding two willing trading partners.

On Patriots all access, BB said plenty of teams talked to him about their trading back. He didn't say anything about teams wanting to trade up with them.

Over on the draft board, the 2-for-2 Green Bay swap is affectionately known as the "Sebman trade." :) I do think something like this makes sense if the top of the board shakes out right.

Another intriguing partner is St. Louis, which holds a higher #1 but a lower #2 and has been rumored to be sniffing around for a QB in the bottom of the 1st. If somebody like Darrelle Revis is still around at the Rams' pick that would be mighty attractive.

If your idea has merit - and a guy the Pats covet is available, your suggestion is exactly what the Patriots could wind up doing

Overall I suspect this is going to be one of those drafts where the Patriots War Room is EXCEPTIONALLY busy with multiple trades going up and going down, increasing the number of draft picks we have in 2nd - 5th rounds, using some but using a lot of that ammunition stockpiling picks for FUTURE years, which in turn will give us better placement and better ammunition to move up down and around in the future.

Yes, we all want LBs and DBs - and we expect to see an WR of the future and other needs addressed this year. My guess is that the front office will determine that given enough quantity they will find quality in the later rounds for all of those positions.

Trading up for a sure thing is always a possibility - but at 24 & 28 my inclination is to trade down for quanity (maximizing the possibility of finding more quality in rounds 2-5)

So my prediction is that this will be a very busy draft in our war room, keeping all of us on our toes, not knowing when our picks are going to be used or traded.

As noted in the Pats1 transcripts from All Access, a trade up this season would net you more value since everybody wants to trade down. The "Sebman" trade, for example, should net more than #16 and #47. Not being privy to some of the trade offers I'm left to guess, but I'd think a move like that could net the Pats an additional Day One pick in 2008. We saw some of that dynamic in play when Houston traded back with Atlanta for Matt Schaub, some people were thinking Atlanta made out like bandits getting the higher pick and a second for Schaub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back