Welcome to PatsFans.com

Moving to Arizona

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by lapatsfan, May 17, 2006.

1. lapatsfan

lapatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi All:

It looks like I am moving from Los Angeles to the Phoenix, AZ area. I know there are some Pats fans in the area (NEM?). Any recommendations on where to live? I will be buying a house there and will be working in Phoenix.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    Last edited: May 17, 2006
  2. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

You're pretty much OK wherever you go except for an area of the City of Phoenix. I'd need to know more about you before I recommend one place over another. Age? Married? Kids? How old are they? What do you like to do for fun? What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? How much are you willing to spend?
  3. lapatsfan

lapatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am 35 and single. I've done a search online and I see towns around Phoenix called Chandler, Peoria, Avondale, Sun City, Glendale, etc. I'm looking to buy a newer house and will most likely spend about 350 -400k. I am looking for a nice neighborhood that isn't too far from Phoenix.

Thanks!
  4. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

See, now we're in business. I moved out 2 1/2 years ago, and I'm sure property values have climbed some, but for what you're willing to spend, you won't be limited.

Strike Sun City. The median age is probably 60. Mostly a retiree community.

In my opinion, Chandler and Tempe are the best towns to live in. There is also a section of Southeast Phoenix called Ahwatukee where I lived, and loved it. If you're the type of person who enjoys the finer things, what people would call a snob, you'd probably want to go to Scottsdale. Chandler is on that path, and still growing. Futher out is Gilbert, which is still in it's young stages.

All of these towns are in the "East Valley". The Westside is a bit cheaper, more given to people called "white trash", but there are definitely nice spots. Out past the immediate West suburbs, the far sides of Glendale, Peoria, and Goodyear, there's been a sh!tload of new development, and they've done some nice things.

The reason I recommend the East side is fairly simple. If you're working out of Phoenix, the sun will be behind you on your commute. If you go west, you'll be staring at it both ways, and that's brutal.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2005
  5. lapatsfan

lapatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks so much for the advise!!!

I guess my only other consideration now is the weather issue.
  6. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I lived in Chandler in the early 90s. Nice, but quiet. Not small town quaint quiet either. Just strip malls, apartment complexes and gated communities quiet and boring. If I were to move there being 35 and single I would look closely at Tempe.
    Last edited: May 18, 2006
  7. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, i have lived in Phoenix for over 30 years. And where you live really determins on what you like to do. If you like to live near ASU (with all the cute college girls) then move to Tempe. If however, you want to live away from the huge crowds of the city, you should consider living in Northwest Phoenix. KB homes just built a sub-division off of Happy Valley rd and I-17. Its very peacefull, and convienient to the whole city.
  8. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

You wouldn't even recognize it anymore.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2005
  9. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

watch out for all those killer bees.