Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What will Pats do in light of current situation?

• Sign Dallas Clark

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • Sign David Thomas

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Sign someone else/no one

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Abandon 2 TE as base offense

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters
I hate to bring this up, but cap space MAY become an issue.

Given that the offense is going to be very run-heavy, it makes no sense to assume that a 2-TE offense is done. Especially considering it was never really a 2-TE offense anyways, but a 1RB, 1 TE, 2 slot player, 1 wide receiver offense generally. Now you'll just replace one of the slot players with a true tight end once Gronk is healthy.

I think its far from given, and would not even say likely, that the offense will become run heavy.

Choosing to have more of a 3 WR offense than a 2 WR-2 TE offense would not be my preference. After all, we must look at the quality of our wide receivers.

I expect that we will be fine with Gronk, Ballard and Hooman. Obviously we also have Fells and the UDFA. We have solid TE depth.

It depends upon how you look at the WR position.
If we run more 3 WR, then we probably go to 3 TE 6 WR on the roster.
3 WR and Gronk, given the players we have at the WR position actually is very interesting to me.
If we keep 6 WRs, first one will be an inactive every game, so we can put Boyce there.
For the other 5 we have Amendola, Dobson, Edelman and 2 of Jones,Jenkins,Hawkins.

The first thing to recognize is that we are changing the focus of the passing game. We are not putting different guys in the same spot and changing nothing, such as giving Welker's role to DA and running the structure of the passing game through him.
So the roles, all of them (perhaps with the exception of Gronk) will change.

The skill sets of the receivers we have to choose from are more varied than we typically have.
Amendola does overlap some of Welkers skillset (of course until proven it is a very watered down similarity) but has also shown the ability to do things Welker rarely did here.
Dobson and Jenkins are big receivers who can be effective outside the numbers. Brady has rarely had receivers to focus on that part of the field but when he has, it has been successful. (Patten, Givens, Moss)
Jones, IMO, has average skills but versatile skills. Therefore he can fit in any grouping and not be a liability.
Hawkins is a Branch type player in terms of skillset. (Not comparing ability, but just skillset and use)
Edelman struggles at a lot of the things you need a WR to do, but does have unique RAC skills and experience in the offense. Many of the catches he has made in his career have been WR screens, and he is an excellent screen WR. I expect using him in that role to get him in the open field. I also expect some reverses, short passes off pick plays to get him in the open, etc.

I think its clear Amendola will be on the field for 80-90% of the snaps, but the rest of this group could all participate in different groupings for different schemes, and plays.

I could easily see an offense that is at least 50% 3 or 4 wides.
Given an estimated 1000 snaps for the season I could see a breakdown something like this, using each WR in his best role
Assume Jenkins is the vet from the list above who is cut.

Total WR snaps 2600
Amendola 850
Dobson 550
Edelman 500
Jones 400
Hawkins 300

Of course this will evolve during the season, and hopefully will result in someone stepping up and taking a larger role as the season wears on, but if there is one thing to expect in our passing game is that it will be much less predictable than ever before.

I was leaning Thomas myself but wasn't he traded out of town? BB NEVER gets rid of TEs so quick.

Whatever happens I see our offense being innovative, unique, and most likely dominant. Just a feeling.

1) I would expect more 3 WR sets, but I'm not sure that this will be so once Gronk is healthy. Ballard could be a solid #2 TE.

2) I would not have 5 active receivers. Four is plenty to run 4-wide sets, especially given that a RB could be part of any 4 or 5 receiver set. So, I would see many fewer reps by th $5 receiver. I'm not even sure the #4 receiver would have near as many reps as you state.
Why shouldn't we expect the total of the top 3 to be about the same as last year, with perhaps a bit more for our #4?

3) I think that Jenkins makes the team. It would be good to have a dependable red-zone threat.

4) Dobson make be in on half the offensive plays as a rookie, or not.

5) BTW, IMHO, if we had confidence in Washington and someone else as punt returners, Edelman would likely be gone in a heartbeat, with no roster replacement. The "extra" WR roster spot is essentially a PR roster spot.

Total WR snaps 2600
Amendola 850
Dobson 550
Edelman 500
Jones 400
Hawkins 300

Hernandez is barely a TE at his height/weight. There might be some h back, receiving fullback types available. With gronk, ballard and the backups mentioned, we're OK at TE, we need another receiver similar to hernandez, that is a hback/fb who can run.

Hey guys -- New member to this forum.

One potential trade possibility that hasn't been introduced yet is trading for Riley Cooper from Philly. (I know he's not a TE, but he could be a great addition to the team as a receiver)

The reason I think he would be a perfect fit is because:
1. Florida Gator (he was a part of the Tebow teams). We're all familiar with Belichick's ties with Urban Meyer as well.
2. Physical assets - 6' 3", 4.53s 40 yard dash time.
3. Relationship with Eagles - Philly is a team that Belichick generally has a good relationship with (with both Andy Reid and Chip Kelly)
4. Contract year - I believe Riley Cooper is probably in the last year of his rookie contract. If he isn't in Philly's long term plans, he would be a great fit in New England.

I'm aware that he's not the most exciting name to trade for, but then again, how often does NE trade for so-called 'big name' players?

WKrPlyF.jpg

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this
(I personally believe it would be a more valuable trade than the Greg Salas trade from last year)

Wanted to get a poll going in light of AHern release. So there is speculation Pats might sign Dave Thomas or Dallas Clark to fill that roll. Curious what people here think. I'm also putting in option of abandoning the 2 TE offense as that could be a reality.

I say abandon the 2 TE offense till you can properly address replacing Hernandez in the offseason.

Hernandez is barely a TE at his height/weight. There might be some h back, receiving fullback types available. With gronk, ballard and the backups mentioned, we're OK at TE, we need another receiver similar to hernandez, that is a hback/fb who can run.

I see them using Vereen in the passing game, obviously not in the same ways they used AH but I do believe he can provide equal production.

Get this guy on a weight lifting plan.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/mark-harrison?id=2540262

If he added 15-20 pounds he could maybe be developed into a eventual replacement.

Hey guys -- New member to this forum.

One potential trade possibility that hasn't been introduced yet is trading for Riley Cooper from Philly. (I know he's not a TE, but he could be a great addition to the team as a receiver)

The reason I think he would be a perfect fit is because:
1. Florida Gator (he was a part of the Tebow teams). We're all familiar with Belichick's ties with Urban Meyer as well.
2. Physical assets - 6' 3", 4.53s 40 yard dash time.
3. Relationship with Eagles - Philly is a team that Belichick generally has a good relationship with (with both Andy Reid and Chip Kelly)
4. Contract year - I believe Riley Cooper is probably in the last year of his rookie contract. If he isn't in Philly's long term plans, he would be a great fit in New England.

I'm aware that he's not the most exciting name to trade for, but then again, how often does NE trade for so-called 'big name' players?

WKrPlyF.jpg

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this
(I personally believe it would be a more valuable trade than the Greg Salas trade from last year)

Always liked Riley Cooper, Good idea ! Sure handed with good size.

Always liked Riley Cooper, Good idea ! Sure handed with good size.

I wish there was some way to raise awareness to trade for Riley Cooper. The more I think about it, he's just too perfect of a fit in New England.

1) I would expect more 3 WR sets, but I'm not sure that this will be so once Gronk is healthy. Ballard could be a solid #2 TE.

I think Ballard is more of a true TE. He isn't going to force teams into match up nightmares.

Hernandez is a HUGE loss for this team. Devastating even.

probably already been posted but

Sudfeld.jpg

I think Ballard is more of a true TE. He isn't going to force teams into match up nightmares.

Hernandez is a HUGE loss for this team. Devastating even.

Actually Ballard has shown the ability to get open deep on TE post patterns. Unfortunately it was vs us.

Ballard Catch - YouTube

He's a pretty tough matchup.

Scratch Chris Cooley off the list of potential veteran free agent tight ends to be brought in to training camp. Not that Cooley was ever that great an option - he had all of one reception last year - but some had brought up his name as a TE that the Pats should consider.

Chris Cooley retires, joins Washington Redskins radio broadcast team - The Washington Post

Chris Cooley joined the Washington Redskins’ radio broadcasting team Tuesday, effectively ending his career as an NFL player but preserving the link between one of the team’s most popular players and its legions of fans.​

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back