PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moves I Think Should Still Be Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotReign

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Wide Receiver - I think Gonzalez is a big injury concern, Stinko is garbage and I don't like the Stallworth signing.

Early Doucet - Had a decent year for the Cardinals bringing in 5 touchdowns.

Andre Caldwell - Not a great option but I'm assuming he wouldn't be too expensive.

Legedu Naanee - Again not a spectacular choice but could do decently.

Steve smith - Has had a full off-season to recover from injury. Maybe an incentive based contract or short term deal.

Defensive Line - Never can have enough depth on the line.

Raheem Brock - The Patriots tried to get him last year and were unsuccessful. I would only consider if Carter is unable to return to form.

Tommie Harris - Would replace Gerard Warren as backup DT.

Dave Tollefson - Had five sacks and two ff on a D-line with JPP, Justin Tuck, and Osi.

Matt Roth - The Patriots tried to get him last year.

Wallace Gilberry - Could at least take a look.

Dave Ball - Decent depth.

OLB - Needs an overhaul and better depth.

Leroy Hill - Has been injury prone but managed to last 16 games last season. Had the third most sacks of all unrestricted free agent linebackers.

Geno Hayes - Worth a look.

Manny Lawson - More suited to a 4-3 defense but their isn't a whole lot on the market.

Chris Chamberlain - Meh.

Cornerback - Could do with improvement as I don't want Nate Jones or Moldy on the team.

Terrance Newman - Only for vet minimum. His skills are diminishing but still had 4 picks and 8 passes defended.

Jarret Bush - Has played both Corner and Safety.

Jacob Lacey - Worth a look.

Safety - Needs some serious improvement but talent in the draft is limited.

Gerald Sensabaugh - A slight upgrade.

O.J. Atogwe - For a small deal perhaps. Has been injury prone the last couple of seasons.

Reggie Smith - Smith is young and used to be a corner before being moved to safety. He wasn't a starter in 2011. Started 7 games in 2010. Worth a look.

Chris Harris - Was a pro bowler in 2010 before floundering last year with the Lions. Could be a low risk high reward type.

Quintin Demps - Has only played in all 16 games once, during his rookie season. Worth a look.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Trade Welker, give his $ to Wallace. I would have liked to see that.

Trade Welker, give his $ to Wallace. I would have liked to see that.

So, get rid of a WR who is still extremely productive and who is guaranteed to know the system. And to replace him, you pay more money (plus a first round pick) to a guy with a limited route tree and who is a complete unknown in this system.

I'm going to go ahead and respectfully disagree.

Atogwe sucks. He's a poor man's Meriweather, and you know it's bad when the Redskins released him in favor of Meriweather.

-Jamman

Atogwe sucks. He's a poor man's Meriweather, and you know it's bad when the Redskins released him in favor of Meriweather.

-Jamman

I think they cut him so they wouldn't have to pay on his contract and then took a chance on Meriweather.

Wide Receiver - I think Gonzalez is a big injury concern, Stinko is garbage and I don't like the Stallworth signing.

Early Doucet - Had a decent year for the Cardinals bringing in 5 touchdowns.

Andre Caldwell - Not a great option but I'm assuming he wouldn't be too expensive.

Legedu Naanee - Again not a spectacular choice but could do decently.

Steve smith - Has had a full off-season to recover from injury. Maybe an incentive based contract or short term deal.

Defensive Line - Never can have enough depth on the line.

Raheem Brock - The Patriots tried to get him last year and were unsuccessful. I would only consider if Carter is unable to return to form.

My guess is that they didn't sign him last year for a reason.

Tommie Harris - Would replace Gerard Warren as backup DT.

Dave Tollefson - Had five sacks and two ff on a D-line with JPP, Justin Tuck, and Osi.

Matt Roth - The Patriots tried to get him last year. See my comment on Raheem Brock.. Not to mention he'd be an OLB in the Pats defense.

Wallace Gilberry - Could at least take a look.

Dave Ball - Decent depth.

OLB - Needs an overhaul and better depth.

Leroy Hill - Has been injury prone but managed to last 16 games last season. Had the third most sacks of all unrestricted free agent linebackers.

Geno Hayes - Worth a look.

Manny Lawson - More suited to a 4-3 defense but their isn't a whole lot on the market. Guy has spent all his time in 3-4, yet you think he's better suited for the 4-3???

Chris Chamberlain - Meh.

Cornerback - Could do with improvement as I don't want Nate Jones or Moldy on the team.

Terrance Newman - Only for vet minimum. His skills are diminishing but still had 4 picks and 8 passes defended.

Jarret Bush - Has played both Corner and Safety.

Jacob Lacey - Worth a look.

Safety - Needs some serious improvement but talent in the draft is limited.

Pats have already improved here by adding Gregory. NONE of the guys you mention would be an upgrade and certainly not Chris Harris who was cut by the Bears last year.

Gerald Sensabaugh - A slight upgrade.

O.J. Atogwe - For a small deal perhaps. Has been injury prone the last couple of seasons.

Reggie Smith - Smith is young and used to be a corner before being moved to safety. He wasn't a starter in 2011. Started 7 games in 2010. Worth a look.

Chris Harris - Was a pro bowler in 2010 before floundering last year with the Lions. Could be a low risk high reward type.

Quintin Demps - Has only played in all 16 games once, during his rookie season. Worth a look.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Honestly, I think you are nit-picking. Only Tommie Harris and Steve Smith are really of any interest, in all honesty.

Honestly, I think you are nit-picking. Only Tommie Harris and Steve Smith are really of any interest, in all honesty.

Wasn't Tommie Harris cut by the Patriots last season?

Lawson played in a 4-3 last year for the Bengals.

Roth & Brock signed for Seattle & Jacksonville instead of New England because those teams offered better contracts.

Yeremiah Bell was just cut by the Dolphins. No reason why the Patriots shouldn't at least take a look at him.

Their just suggestions of players that the Patriots could look at. Anyone at safety is better than Sergio Brown and Josh Barret.

Last edited:
To be honest, the draft can't come around soon enough right now. I'd really like to see what the Patriots have planned for the defense.

Wasn't Tommie Harris cut by the Patriots last season?

Lawson played in a 4-3 last year for the Bengals.

Roth & Brock signed for Seattle & Jacksonville instead of New England because those teams offered better contracts.

First, No, Tommie Harris was not cut by the Pats. He was given a workout but never signed.

Last year would have been the first for Lawson, then, since he played in teh 3-4 in San Fran.

Roth and Brock were never offered contracts by the Patriots, to my knowledge. If you have information saying otherwise, please post it.

Roth and Brock were never offered contracts by the Patriots, to my knowledge. If you have information saying otherwise, please post it.

Yeah I remembered wrong, they both just had workouts :p

Is Wimbley out of the question cap wise ? if so I'd like Anderson back. Y. Bell would be decent and Castillo.

Last edited:
Looks like 2012 will not be your posting year either.

I'm sorry who are you again? If you made some worthwhile posts I might have remembered your name.

I'm sure you want the Pats to give Welker a massive contract for his past performace,not what he still can do. We have two late 1st round picks, Wallace is one of the best deep threats in the NFL, he would be worth the money, and is much younger than Welker.

Thanks for another post with substance! Welker fan boys need to think outside the box on how his departure could be a good thing. It's just an idea, let me here some of yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye