Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mourdock: Rape Pregnancies ‘Something That God Intended to Happen’

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

What a wonderful gift from God, asking a raped woman to carry a baby to term.

Mourdock: Rape Pregnancies 'Something That God Intended to Happen' | TPM LiveWire

At the final debate in the Indiana Senate race, held Tuesday night, Republican nominee Richard Mourdock explained his opposition to abortion in the cases of rape or incest. In the course of the explanation Mourdock suggested that rape should not be an exception to a ban on abortion, since rape pregnancies are themselves the will of God.

"You know, this is that issue for that every candidates for federal, or even state office, faces. And I, too, certainly stand for life" ....

Mourdock then seemed to choke back tears, and continued: "I've struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from god. And even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I cannot wrap my mind around that idea ... then again I cannot wrap my mind around how a deranged criminal or murderer would think either. Mourdock's thinking is unfathomable to me ... way extreme and IMO wrong.

3. OMGWTFJUDD

OMGWTFJUDD Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think if God existed he'd be seriously pissed at what the fruitcakes on Earth attribute to him.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Maybe we shouldn't do anything to prevent future terrorist attacks ( coincidentally similar to rape) since anything that happens is God's Will. For that matter, everyone might as well stop praying.

5. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

That is crazy. If you are going to say rape babies are the will of God then you also have to say abortion is the will of God. You can't just pick and choose.

6. jcdavey

jcdavey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

republicans are so ****** crazy

7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I can see how a pro-life advocate would consider even a pregnancy that resulted from rape life. I can even see that they would still consider that life legitimate. But to infer that God would will the rape is religious hubris. We have free will and if someone strays and harms then that is on the perpetrator. If the same rapist kills your brother, would that be that God's will too?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 7 / -8

How many survivors have prayed that no more of God's will will be done?

9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

As an aside I always figured if God had a direct hand in who lived and who died no children would ever be killed.

10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

His take does not represent the take of the majority of republicans.

11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

The video at the link doesn't work.

12. DocHoliday

DocHoliday In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -1

However, it represents a large percentage of Republican constituents.

Unfortunately (or I guess, fortunately), we are isolated here in New England. Large swaths of the Southeast and flyover states really are this dumb.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Willard made a campaign spot for Mourdock.. but now is trying to distance himself from these comments.. now Romney will not say he does or does not endorse him, but he will change by 3:00 PM.....

Romney - YouTube

14. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 7 / -8

The difficulty comes from the founding conceit of the "pro-life" movement. It's just not tenable in the face of real-life realities to consider a fetus a human being, for so many reasons. This is yet another result of carrying that conceit to its logical conclusion.

After all, if I personally, having lived a life up to the age of 50, find out that I was the product of a rape, it's going to be a mind-bender. It will not, however, disqualify me from living. You don't take me out in the courtyard, give me a cigarette and a blindfold, and fire away.

The "pro-life" movement wants to treat an unborn fetus through the lens of living breathing people, insisting that our rights are equal. And so, with the focus squarely on the fertilized egg, we are asked to put all else aside, except the possibility that we'd actually be killing the mother for the birth to happen.

If you're an ideologue, this is one of the various implications of the pro-life creed. Another implication is that only the "pro-life" terrorists are really honest; after all, if you feel that every doctor providing this legal medical service is Mengele -- I mean, really believe it, not put it on your bumper sticker -- what's the moral course of action?

Our problem with this stuff is we ignore the ways to make it a non-issue, for example, easily available birth control for those who want it.

PFnV

15. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I would restate your point.

There are many Republicans who would disagree mightily with this clown.

More accurately - "The Religious Right who have become (sadly) the voice of the modern Republican Party are $^#&@* crazy"

I liken it to the how I learned (as a young Catholic) the difference between Christians and Catholics:

All Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic.

in this case:

"All Religious Rights are $^#&@* crazy Republicans, but not all Republicans are Religious Rights who are $^#&@* crazy"

OT:All that aside....to extrapolate on this a bit. I have always found it ironic that Religious Right here at home are the first people in line talking about Religious Fundamentalism in other parts of the world, and how bad it is and should be stopped (mostly directed towards Islam/Sharia etc).....yet champion these lunatics here at home. Either Religious Fundamentalism is bad or it isn't. It isn't something that is ok because "it's your god".

Just my 2 cents.

16. BrickPat

BrickPat Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This guy is an obvious lunatic who just flushed his election chances down the crapper with any voters possessing an IQ above room temperature. However I think it's important not to cast this fool as being representatitive of anything as you can find such dolts in every political party.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  17. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Just out of curiosity I looked up "What percentage of Rs are religious" to see what portion of the population they truly represent.

Gallup has some data on it - seems like 47% of Republicans ID themselves as "highly religious whites" (sorry I couldn't find anything without race included in the sample :rolleyes:)

While obviously that is a lot of people, as we know 47<51...so...

Source for number above: Republicans Remain Disproportionately White and Religious

Anyway - sad to hear continued pushes for more Jesus in our Politics.

18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

If one of those Pig, Dog, Vermin Rat Rapist *&^%$&#'s knocked up any female in my family I'd get a coat hanger and perform the abortion myself.

I have always believed that Rapists should be put to death, beheaded.

20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

And Romney has vowed not to stop the televised endorsement of Mourdock..

[​IMG]