Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3768911.html

Bills haggling with Texans over compensation

By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Talks continued Monday between the Texans and Buffalo Bills over wide receiver Eric Moulds, who is in town to meet with Texans officials and take a physical.

Last week, Moulds, 32, agreed to a $14 million four-year contract with the Texans, which included a $5 million signing bonus. But because Moulds is under contract for two more years with the Bills, the Texans must give compensation to the Bills to make the trade complete.

Negotiations between Texans general manager Charley Casserly and Bills general manager Marv Levy continued Monday. The Bills are asking for a fourth-round pick in the April draft; the Texans are offering a fifth-round pick.

If the Bills don't accept the Texans' offer, they risk losing Moulds for nothing. They have failed in their attempts to restructure Moulds' contract, and they have made it clear to Moulds that they will not pay the base salary of $7.1 million that he's due next season.

If the Bills cut Moulds, they receive no compensation.

Moulds, 6-2 and 210 pounds, spent the past 10 seasons in Buffalo. The three-time Pro Bowler has accumulated more than 1,000 receiving yards in four seasons, most recently in 2004. If he joins the Texans, he will start opposite Andre Johnson.

Whoa, only a 4th or 5th? We could offer 4th right now and get him. Don't like the $5 mil signing bonus, but we could do it easily. $14 mil over 4 isnt that bad either.

Digger44 said:
Whoa, only a 4th or 5th? We could offer 4th right now and get him. Don't like the $5 mil signing bonus, but we could do it easily. $14 mil over 4 isnt that bad either.
It takes two to tango. The Bills are probably happier getting a 4 or 5 from Houston than a 3 or 4 from us.

BelichickFan said:
It takes two to tango. The Bills are probably happier getting a 4 or 5 from Houston than a 3 or 4 from us.
ya this makes no sense to me though. i think moulds is worth a 3rd rounder.

Digger44 said:
ya this makes no sense to me though. i think moulds is worth a 3rd rounder.
I can't say I'd be upset with a #3 plus the above mentioned contract but at his age it's still a lot. Honestly I'm getting tired of the draft choice for player thing. We've now trade a #2, #3 and #5 and gotten : One good year of Dillon, one bad year of Dillon, one bad year of Starks and one unmemorable year of Andre Davis.

Given our draft history we seem to be better off going that route.

BelichickFan said:
I can't say I'd be upset with a #3 plus the above mentioned contract but at his age it's still a lot. Honestly I'm getting tired of the draft choice for player thing. We've now trade a #2, #3 and #5 and gotten : One good year of Dillon, one bad year of Dillon, one bad year of Starks and one unmemorable year of Andre Davis.

good thoughts, never saw it that way.

Marv Levy is old school - you don't trade a guy like Moulds within the Division.

Once it became clear that they weren't going to release him it became clear that the Patriots really had no shot of getting him.

JoeSixPat said:
Marv Levy is old school - you don't trade a guy like Moulds within the Division.
Well the last time they traded within the division it didn't really work out for them :D

Ty Warren for a benched Bledsoe - thanks Donahoe :D

BelichickFan said:
.... Honestly I'm getting tired of the draft choice for player thing. We've now traded a #2, #3 and #5 and gotten : One good year of Dillon, one bad year of Dillon, one bad year of Starks and one unmemorable year of Andre Davis.

Creative arrangement!

That one good year of Dillon, though ... to me ... is worth the 2nd-rounder.
It's the rich extension we offered that causes the burping about him now.

Funny thing, when you look back over the big picture, doesn't it seem? ... as if Belioli
are just average judges of pro-player talent (FAs and trades) ...
while being superb judges of collegiate talent (draftees and UDFAs).
That's a little counter-intuitive because they watch the pro guys play live and surely watch much more film starring NFL-ers than collegians.

Are the Pats' scouting squads that different in ability?

flutie2phelan said:
Creative arrangement!
Arrange it how you like - it is what it is :)

flutie2phelan said:
That one good year of Dillon, though ... to me ... is worth the 2nd-rounder.
It's the rich extension we offered that causes the burping about him now.
Tough to disagree with any of that.

JoeSixPat said:

Once it became clear that they weren't going to release him it became clear that the Patriots really had no shot of getting him.
Also, Moulds was looking more at Phillie..

BelichickFan said:

Starks was obviously a disaster, though he was hurt the entire time. But the other 2 trades I would do again. I don't know what it is about our draft history that makes you think 5th round picks are so valuable. Besides Koppen, there hasn't been a 5th rounder of note since BB got here.

bucky said:
I don't know what it is about our draft history that makes you think 5th round picks are so valuable. Besides Koppen, there hasn't been a 5th rounder of note since BB got here.

Maybe the fact that if BB can pull of a Brady & a Givens later than 5, he may be able to get someone better in 5.

bucky said:
I don't know what it is about our draft history that makes you think 5th round picks are so valuable. Besides Koppen, there hasn't been a 5th rounder of note since BB got here.
I don't know if the 5th round pick would have worked out or not but a 2, 3, 5 is a good size package of picks to have given up. As a group I would make the trades, I guess, as there's no saying for sure we win SB 39 without Dillon. But in general these trades have left me underwhelmed.

BelichickFan said:

You forget that we got one Championship year from Ted Washington for a 4th rounder.

Now, riddle me this: was our 4th rounder on Dexter Reid better spent, or the 4th on one year of Big Ted?

And then calculate the fact that we got a 5th round compensatory pick for Ted after he signed with the Raiders, and tell me where you think that trade ranks among the best deals of all time...

Teams and guys on this board think draft picks are like gold. Are you kidding me? You wouldn't give Dexter Reid for Moulds? Klecko for Moulds? Samuel for Moulds? These guys were fourth round picks. How about Brock Williams for Moulds? Or Guss Scott for Moulds? J R Redmond for Moulds? These guys were third-rounders. I just do not get why teams just don't bite the bullet and give up a pick. Give a third and a fourth for Moulds. What's the big deal? Maybe as you suggested Rook, BB thinks Childress can step up and claim a spot as a cheap alternative. Otherwise, sitting tight on Moulds makes no sense.

I think what the Pats do is what everybody else does, just moreso.

Dillon for a draft pick? Are you kiddin' me? Of course that was a good move. Ted Washington, for a year? Sure, I'll take it. How's that Vrabel fella workin' out?

And then there are the bad moves, which fall into the "whattayaexpect" category.

It's a crap shoot all around the league, and the Pats do come up one the winning end of this equation, all told. It's hard to say the draft picks have all excelled and the FA/Trades have all stunk up the joint, though BB/SP seem to have found an extraordinary number of low pick, high value collegians.

I think too, that before the league got savvy to what BB/SP were doing - and winning with - there was a huge advantage. I'm not just talking about getting the best 3-4 personnel before other teams decided to go with that defense, though that plays into it. I'm more talking about finding "Patriots type of guys." Low-ego, team-first, coachable guys who don't mind being role-players. I think more teams are looking for them now (although its hard to duplicate the Pats' magic elsewhere) and that cuts into the available talent pool the Pats can draw from. I think all around the league the spotlight is less on the high-price, high-profile Owens types, and more on the smart cap move. At least moreso than in, say, 1999-2000. The "five good players instead of one superstar" theory has caught on, changing the values. Now it's "five mediocre/project players or two good players or one superstar," so it's harder to pick up the working-class-to-pro-bowl-guy.

Thoughts of a dry mind in a dry off-season,

PFnV

mac said:
Teams and guys on this board think draft picks are like gold. Are you kidding me? You wouldn't give Dexter Reid for Moulds? Klecko for Moulds? Samuel for Moulds? These guys were fourth round picks. How about Brock Williams for Moulds? Or Guss Scott for Moulds? J R Redmond for Moulds? These guys were third-rounders. I just do not get why teams just don't bite the bullet and give up a pick. Give a third and a fourth for Moulds. What's the big deal? Maybe as you suggested Rook, BB thinks Childress can step up and claim a spot as a cheap alternative. Otherwise, sitting tight on Moulds makes no sense.

Oh ok so lets continue with your logic. Let's give Brady for Moulds. Moulds is an earlier pick. We should have given Givens for Moulds. Heck we should have traded Troy Brown for Moulds a few years ago bcs Troy wasn't even drafted. Come on newbie, you gotta do better than this. Any draft pick has golden potential in the hands of BB.

BelichickFan said:
Well the last time they traded within the division it didn't really work out for them :D

Ty Warren for a benched Bledsoe - thanks Donahoe :D

Yeah...I doubt that they want to do ANY sort of business deal with the Pats.

Digger, i think you're too harsh on mac.

Free agent vs draftee reduces to determining where is the greater risk?

Isn't it surprising? ... how difficult it appears to be ... for the best professional judges of football flesh in the world ... to judge accurately how much longer a vet player of some accomplishment ... can keep up to snuff.

Sounds like we can officially cease discussing Mr. Moulds:

Bills | Team acquires 2006 fifth-round pick for Moulds
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:11:20 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans traded a fifth-round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for WR Eric Moulds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes