Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
MOTO = Master Of The Obvious

Notes:
  • The division games are going to be critical.
  • A lot of exciting games left this year.
  • Indy was a terrific game, outcome sucked but the game was great.
  • NFL is wide open, the top teams Giants, Titans, Redskins, Steelers all play a conservative style. This keeps games close and really bodes well for playoff upsets.
  • Big test against the Bills & Steelers rushing attacks, it looks like the defense is rounding into form. I can't wait for these games.
  • Say what you want, the coaching staff had this team ready to play. The execution and game plan was very good against Indy. Tough matchup on the road. Good effort, but there are no moral victories. Huge game against the Bills.

I think the defense still has work to do, as the secondary has gotten abused for the 3rd time this year. The previous 2 weeks were very promising but last night was a major disappointment. 18 points doesn't tell the story, they were barely on the field and the only reason they didn't give up 30+ was our ball control offense.

The good news is we can stop the run, which is far more important in the long run. And BB's defenses typically get better as the season goes. I'm hoping we can have a 2005-like turnaround defensively. That team also got torched a few times in the first half of the season but by the end of the year they were dominant, possibly more dominant than the Super Bowl defenses. Say what you want about Mangini, but after he left the defense hasn't been the same the last two years when we needed them the most. Hopefully Capers can work his magic in the secondary, then we have ourselves a championship defense.

I think the defense still has work to do, as the secondary has gotten abused for the 3rd time this year. The previous 2 weeks were very promising but last night was a major disappointment. 18 points doesn't tell the story, they were barely on the field and the only reason they didn't give up 30+ was our ball control offense.

The good news is we can stop the run, which is far more important in the long run. And BB's defenses typically get better as the season goes. I'm hoping we can have a 2005-like turnaround defensively. That team also got torched a few times in the first half of the season but by the end of the year they were dominant, possibly more dominant than the Super Bowl defenses. Say what you want about Mangini, but after he left the defense hasn't been the same the last two years when we needed them the most. Hopefully Capers can work his magic in the secondary, then we have ourselves a championship defense.

I don't think Mangini's absence had anything to do with it. The Defense just got too old and slow. Jr. is gone; Rodney is gone; Tedy is a part-timer;, and there is youth and talent everywhere on D. It merely needs some playing experience and the youngsters are getting it. Add another LB high, and a CB/S and perhaps a reserve NT, and the D rebuild is finished.;)

Last edited:
-Meriweather is playing every game as if it's his last. Seems to be playing with the most intensity.

-Mayo looks solid but not spectacular. Looks like he's playing at about 85% confidence right now. Will continue to get better. Looks a bit unsure sometimes. I am happy with the pick.

-Guyton has been a nice surprise. I didnt expect him to be seeing this much PT. Could be starting over Bruschi by playoff time.

-Our Pass defense has and will get exposed in the playoffs. Jabari Greer should get a long look from the Pats come FA time.

-Not only do the CBs get burned, but the Front 7 are getting zero pressure on QBs. Thomas has had his moments here and there. He is streaky. Sometimes he doesnt show up at all. Vrabel is declining. Our rush seems predictable compared to other 3-4 teams. Time to look for a new DC?

-Chad Jackson, Maroney, David Thomas.... I think we're at a point where we can all agree that was a horrible draft class.

-May have to look for a new RB in the upcoming draft. Maroney will NEVER stay healthy. He just won't. He's fragile and weak. Even when he is healthy, he does not produce as we thought he would. If there is nice value in the 2nd or 3rd, we should go for it.

The good news is, the youngsters look pretty good considering. With some more experience (hopefully by the plyoffs) they might be ok.

My midseason observation:
The Fins have an easy second half schedule on paper, and even though they're 1 game out it sure does look like they could make a serious run at the division title.

NE has to get some momentum, get healthy, and go on a run here.

Obviously the season wont be what we thought it would be.. But what will be good is every week its a new adventure.. The next 3 weeks are the season, and possibly the pitt game.. key is to win the division, and we need to win the next 3 games..

Buffalo- to just bury them, because that would be 3 losses in the division

NYJ- because there the jets, and it would give us a sweep

Miami- because they already own a victory against us..

If there is a game we could afford to lose its buffalo, but a nice 3 game winning streak would be great right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back