Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mother sent to jail for son's Education

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Kid~Brady, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Homeless mother Tanya McDowell who sent son, 6, to better school in wrong town jailed for five years | Mail Online

Thoughts on this?
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

It's confusing because of the attached drug dealing charge.

The way I'm reading it is that she got a combined 12 year sentence - with 5 years served and 5 years probation.

But it's not written very clearly and I could be reading it wrong. It can also be read as she's serving the time solely for the school thing and they're letting it count as time served for the drug dealing.

Sending her to jail for the school thing is ridiculous - she was homeless, fer cryin' out loud - maybe she parked the car they were living in within the school boundries, who the hell knows? Or cares, really? Good for her for trying to get her son the best education possible so he didn't end up like she did.

The felony drug selling, however.........
  3. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Right.

it was a bit confusing to me as well. I thought the drug chargers were from previous incidents.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

I agree Mrs, I would have done the same thing, the drug thing is confusing but the women seems to have a lot of "good" in her, I wish her well, when she gets out, maybe if she can stay alive long enough this child will repay her by taking good care of her.
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

I went looking a little further...turns out it's an old story (April 2012) and the sentence seems to be for the drug charges not the school thing.

She had already been sentenced to the 5 year jail time/5 year probation for the drug selling - the 5 years for the school thing is to be served concurrently.

Seems like she had a lot of support in the beginning on the school thing---but then 2 arrests for selling crack cocaine and marijuana to undercover agents outside of her home (once in the middle of her son's 6th birthday party) kinda made people think twice.

Tanya McDowell sentenced to 5 years in prison - Connecticut Post

The upshot is, she DID get sentenced to 5 years in jail for sending her kid to the "wrong" school - which seems pretty extreme to me, considering that a teacher admitted raping a 14 year student who later committed suicide and got sentenced to "sex offender school," violated the terms of "sex offender school" and was then sentenced to a whopping 31 days in jail.

Montana ex-teacher freed after month in jail for raping student | Reuters

I'm unsure what kind of a world we live in when sending a child to the wrong school is worth 5 years in jail but raping a child in the right school is only worth 31 days.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Speaks volumes about the credibility of the Daily Mail....