Welcome to PatsFans.com

Most Voters Say Obama's Pastor Problem Made No Difference To Them

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Mar 19, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

2. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

You just keep saying that to yourslef, and by all means make sure he gets the nomiation. Maybe he could get Al Shartpon as his running mate, that would secure the Presidency!
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +397 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

"Democrats said by a 76 percent to 15 percent margin that the story made no difference to them, Independents held that same view by a 61 percent to 36 percent margin"

Given that those to whom the story makes a difference are mostly going to be anti-Obama regarding this story, 36% of independents saying it made a difference is a large number given how close our elections usually are.
  4. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Not according to this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080319/pl_nm/usa_politics_poll_dc

I don't really think I'm in touch with the common American voter, so I could be wrong, but I actually think this will hurt his support, at least temporarily and maybe permanently, with white voters. African Americans probably won't flinch, but I bet this will scare away a lot of the on-the-fence white people, no matter how many eloquent speeches Obama makes.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +397 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't think the two are overly disimilar but, like I said, 36% of Independents being affected by the issue is A LOT. Wes either doesn't realize it or doesn't want to admit it but "most voters" not being affected still leaves a huge amount of room for a significant vote shift.
  6. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

It's also a long time until the election too, so something else could happen that could blow this away or the A.D.D.-riddled American public could just be distracted by something shiny. Some portions of the media will try to keep it alive, while other will try to stifle it. It's still wide open.

But I disagree with the statement that this presently has no effect on the voting public.
  7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

8. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

He's running to be commander in chief, not preacher in chief.Period.

So if i follow your logic, then all christians are pedophiles, if you connect he dots with their pastors. :rolleyes:
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +397 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

This is YOUR thread about how VOTERS are moving. You can't change the subject to some liberal bull**** just because you were completely wrong when you started the thread.
  10. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I know you not a pedophile , you didn't follow your pastors actions, that's why i don't give a ..... about Obamas Pastor actions.

Elementary my dear Watson! :rolleyes:
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +397 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

That's great. For a different thread. Your thread was about voter opinion at a macro level. Not whether it affects you or me.

You were wrong about how the electorate has reacted - for now at least.
  12. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

No , sir , that's exactly the point .

1+1 = 2

:bricks:
  13. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

...what? The thread's about how Rev. Wright's comments haven't affected the voting public, and BF and I contend that it has. You're arguing that it SHOULDN'T have an affect on the voting public, which is different.

And you analogy about this being the same as all christians being pedophiles is fallicious on many levels.

Is there any data that proves that this hasn't affected the voters? I mean, I don't think polls are super reliable anyway, so we're working with poor data to begin with. But from word of mouth and all I've seen, it has made a difference. Is your experience different?
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +397 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

You usually make sense in an elementary school kind of way, this thread makes you sound like you're institutionalized. Give up on the thread, admit you were wrong and hope the thread doesn't get bumped too much :D
  15. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Would you keep going to a church where you knew the priest was a pedophile? Would you come out and say, "Oh, I disagree with diddling children, but I can't leave my church just because my priest is a diddler." I know he doesn't believe in that junk Wright preaches, but his continued ties to the man raise questions about his judgement. Basically he's paying now for making a politically expedient move in his past (cozying up to an unsavory minister to gain black support in Chicago).
  16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

SO Wes what does it say that attended the ravings of a bigot for 20 years and gave the guy $22k. I f white guy did this with the Aryan nations church woudl it be revevant as to hsi character. He took his kids to hear this sort of hate speech.
  17. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Well , if i should care of what obamas pastor did or said , i have to look also the relation between christians and their pastors who are/were leaned of raping little boys.
    It is the same system of thinking , yours , not mine.

Because i know it is wrong thinking, so i don't care what his pastor did or say.
    It is not hard to comprehend this logic , is it now ?
  18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

65% voters say the situation is irrelevant. that's a majority. How is he wrong?

Are you down to parsing things to the point that just because the majority of voters didn't actually say "I don't give a flying F___!" that Wes is lying or wrong?

Because it would be pretty goofy if you are.
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +397 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

His title is correct. But his point is wrong. It doesn't mater if a majority think it's irrelevant if the minority is a large enough group to move the overall electorate as FOR NOW that is the case. 36% of Independents is a huge and important group. And of the 36%, I bet 90+% are not on Obama's side on this.
  20. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So you would be fine with him continuing to give money to and attending a church if his preacher was found to be a pedophile, because he knows pedophelia is wrong. That's fine, its your right, but might want him to sever ties with that preacher rather than staying buddy-buddy with him.

What if his preacher advocated using violence to promote a black agenda? Would that be OK? If he said "go blow up the white man's house, he deserves it because he's evil." Would you question Obama's affiliation with the church then? Where do you draw a line between what horrible words or actions are OK and what crosses the line?