PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Most Unsung Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin Faulk, when he went down in the championship game, there went the SB.

Matt Light

He takes all of the garbage when he gets beat and little or no glory for keeping the most important player on the team upright while facing the defensive super jock on the opposing team week after week. Never forget the way he handled Merriman.

When I see these things, I think "most unsung by NE's own fans." Going into the 2006 preseason, I was laughed at for calling Samuel one of the top 15 CBs in the league.

Then I was ridiculed for saying that Evans deserved the roser spot over the UDFA RB whose name escapes me.

If I were to jump on an empty bandwago now it would probably be Caldwell or Mills. A lot of fans think these guys have an uphill battle to make the team, but I think they will have to be played *off* the team. I also think that Sammy Morris is a lot better than many here think.

Without this becoming a CJ thread, I think that many, many here are way over the top with their illogical hatred of the guy. He just hasn't earned the right to be called "unsung" yet. At least most people don't expect him to be cut like they do Mills.

Another guy I would throw up there is Hobbs. After his rookie year, most were ready to call him the next great CB. After last year, many here consider him to be a nickleback. Hobbs is neither, but IMHO he is closer to the former than the latter. I personally feel that Hobbs is better going into his 3rd year than Samuel was.

Well now that we have named 15 differtent players let's name Ellis Hobbs.

But seriously though, all we ever hear about was how great Samuel was last year but Hobbs played extremely well too just simply didn't have the INT total. Now granted Hobbs has had some tough games that have been brought forward to this board often, but in almost all of those cases he was playing extremely hurt. When healthy I think Hobbs is further along then even Samuel at his age. Plus Hobbs never seems to hesitate to play hurt no matter how much it may set back his recovery time. I can't wait to see what a healthy Hobbs can do in a full season's work.

In my opinion, the most unsung Patriot would be Koppen.... but I'd cast votes for Neal and Hochstein, too!

Other than Mankins and Light... what O-linemen get talked about ever? I dare say that the majority of folks in the stands on any given Sunday couldn't name the majority of our starting O-linemen (but everyone would name Light and Mankins).... to me, that's about as unsung as it can get... and Koppen is outstanding, someone is helping Mankins and Light give TB all of that time back there!

I say Lonnie Paxton. He is truly overlooked, and yet year after year, he delivers, flawlessly. Bad snap? Not by the Patriots. We're so used to it we've forgotten how valuable it is.

All the others mentioned here do get credit for their contributions, perhaps some less than they deserve. But does anyone here even know what Lonnie Paxton looks like?

Jarvis Green.

I say Lonnie Paxton. He is truly overlooked, and yet year after year, he delivers, flawlessly. Bad snap? Not by the Patriots. We're so used to it we've forgotten how valuable it is.

All the others mentioned here do get credit for their contributions, perhaps some less than they deserve. But does anyone here even know what Lonnie Paxton looks like?

At a patriots game i saw him on the sideline and so I know what he looks like, lol.

But Ellis Hobbs is unmentioned, same with the OL.

It's got to be either Warren or Koppen. But then again we have so many unsung players on this team it's so hard to choose. The Patriots are a breeding stock for these types of selfless players.

No doubt in my mind its the best backup DE in the league - Jarvis Green

I'll go with matt light.

Jarvis Green.

Second only to Willie in timely "holy sh!t" defensive plays? This may be the best choice.

At least at Patsfans, Brown, Koppen, and Lonnie get regular due respect. Jarvis does, too, but not quite enough. If not for our potentially historic DL, I really think his play may not be Pro-bowl calibre, but he would regarded as amongst the best producers in the league.

That said, Mike Wright is shaping up to be the next Jarvis Green. Kid has been looking good.

Last edited:
The Pats have played that "no respect" card for a long time, but who in your opinion is an unsung patriot? A guy who doesn't ever show up in highlights or rack up amazing stats but helps the team win games?

Matt Light. This guy gets **** on by a lot of fans on a regular basis. He's had a few bad games, but overall he has been a very solid LT. He is not a His performance against Merriweather in the playoffs was awesome.

He's averaging $3M a year for his present five year contract. I'd say that he was being appreciated.

No doubt in my mind its the best backup DE in the league - Jarvis Green

League wide unsung Patriot? Troy Brown without question. If Troy Brown is not on the Patriots, they maybe win one super bowl.

Unsung Patriot for Pats fans? Kevin Faulk. I don't think people really understand how valuable he is for this team. Look at their third down efficiency when he has been injured. He is the type of player (like Brown) that you build championships around.

Honorable mentions to the D-linemen.

Troy Brown is the most unsung but arguably most loved Patriot ever. Lots of fans I know even like him more than Brady and Bruschi. I put them together along with Adam as being the greatest players of this era. I don't think the Dynasty gets going without all of these guys in place. Of the four, Brown is the most unsung.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back