In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
1. Cleveland: Just imagine if they ever won ANYTHING
2. Pittsburgh: SBs put them on the map, cradle of QBs
3. Green Bay: they own the team...
4. Detroit: still the #1 pro team in Michigan, amazingly
5. Chicago: Can't decide whether Eric Kramer was their best QB ever
6. Kansas City: the St. Louis Cardinals fans of football
7. Philly: What happened to the T.O. chants?
9. Denver: annoying, spoiled, but still good fans
8. Washington: the real capital of D.C is the stadium
10. Buffalo: recovering from Donahoe disaster

PonyExpress said:

Philly and Detroit are ranked way too high. I'd put Buffalo above both of them. I can speak from personal experience living in all three areas.

I downgraded Buffalo because the past few years they have had trouble selling out some games. Detroit deserves credit for loyalty over 50 years of awful football since the '57 championship, and Philly is completely crazy over the Eagles. Many of the fans are crude and awful but they are die-hards nonetheless. There is a manic intensity about a crazed fandom in a bitter East coast city that dwarfs the passionate, loyal, knowledgeable fanbases of more pleasant places.

Last edited:
Where are we?!

We should be #30 at the highest.

After attending Sunday night's game, we could be at 32 and I wouldn't argue. At one point late in the 4th quarter I clapped my hands and I swear it was the only sound in the stadium.

PonyExpress said:
missing dallas,tampa

Raider Nation?
Those guys who dress up are rabid.

Detroit? Lionfan isn't rabid....just stupid. They do come out to support the team, and seem to really want to win, but there is absolutely 0 intimidation in Detroit. Heck, in the Silverdome it was more intimidating to come as a fan than an opposing player, because the Lions fans would fight each other in the upper deck.

upstater1 said:
Philly and Detroit are ranked way too high. I'd put Buffalo above both of them. I can speak from personal experience living in all three areas.

i can't speak to detroit, but i sure disagree with your putting Buffalo over Philly. I grew up there and the eagles are like religion. also, I thought Buffalo had trouble selling out the stadium? How can they be ranked about the iggles fans if they don't sell out every sunday?

PonyExpress said:
I downgraded Buffalo because the past few years they have had trouble selling out some games. Detroit deserves credit for loyalty over 50 years of awful football since the '57 championship, and Philly is completely crazy over the Eagles. Many of the fans are crude and awful but they are die-hards nonetheless. There is a manic intensity about a crazed fandom in a bitter East coast city that dwarfs the passionate, loyal, knowledgeable fanbases of more pleasant places.

thanks for confirming what i thought about the bills' tix sales. agree re philly on all points.

PonyExpress said:

my first reaction was to be surprised that you didn't have the pats in the top ten, but then i thought about it and you are right...the region's heart still belongs to the Sawx and, to a lesser extent, to the Celtics. all too many of our "fans" jumped on the bandwagon in the last five years (not that we're not happy to have them, but it doesn't breed an intensity).

richpats said:
After attending Sunday night's game, we could be at 32 and I wouldn't argue. At one point late in the 4th quarter I clapped my hands and I swear it was the only sound in the stadium.

Thats sad to hear Rich,If I was able to get to a Patriots game.Id be clapping like crazy just because i was able to BE at the game.Its a blessing to be able to go to the games.Its a shame our homecrowd has lost that Pop.If we dont make noise for our guys,Whether losing or up by 50.Then How are we to expect them to keep somewhat of a fire inside?.

Kdo5 said:
Where are we?!

We should be #30 at the highest.
#32. Pats fans are the definition of bandwagonners. When we are winning superbowls or setting streak records we cheer like crazy and support our front office.

When we lose a game or it looks to us like they won't go all the way, we have no respect for the components of our team, and pick them and the coaching staff apart unmercifully.

To bandwagonners, new players are not looked at with excitement, but with with fear that they may not be perfect immediately. Rather than, "This guy can help us a lot," it is "This guy hads not proven anything yet." Anyone who is a fan of the team win or lose is ridiculed as a homer.

HOWEVER, should the Patriots start to win, the bandwagonners will turn neutral. Instead of "The defense sucks" "Brady can't play without Branch and GIvens" and the new players arent good enough" they say, "I doubt they will have the horsepower to go all the way."

BUT should the Pats win the superbowl, they all jump back on the bandwagon and talk about how good the Patriots WERE the past year, how THEIR team is better than the other teams.

I know of no other NFL fans that have the attitude towards their team as Pats fans.

Only when the team wins do they feel safe about supporting their team. Then they are not homers but fans. THey can't see that they are fair weather fans. To them, their team is the winner, and now all the true fans of other teams are the homers. But not us. No, not us. It isn't being a homer if you're not a fan unless they win.

Last edited:
I'm Sorry to say but the increase of crappy "sit on their hands" fans has to be a direct result of the krafts insisting having one of the most expensive tickets in all of sports. most of the fans that would have that stadium rockin' are watching the game at home or in their living rooms and local bars because THEY CANT AFFORD IT. most of the people in the red seats at mid field got their tickets from work and are casual fans at best, PATHETIC. all this crap about our stadium not being acousticly built for noise is dumb when you consider how loud it would be if our stadium was filled with kansas city fans. Instead of talking about our teams lack of passion maybe we as fans need to question ours, weve gotten to a point where we no longer feel like we make a difference. you'd be surprised how much players need and value their 12th man.

Franchise12 said:
I'm Sorry to say but the increase of crappy "sit on their hands" fans has to be a direct result of the krafts insisting having one of the most expensive tickets in all of sports. most of the fans that would have that stadium rockin' are watching the game at home or in their living rooms and local bars because THEY CANT AFFORD IT. most of the people in the red seats at mid field got their tickets from work and are casual fans at best, PATHETIC. all this crap about our stadium not being acousticly built for noise is dumb when you consider how loud it would be if our stadium was filled with kansas city fans. Instead of talking about our teams lack of passion maybe we as fans need to question ours, weve gotten to a point where we no longer feel like we make a difference. you'd be surprised how much players need and value their 12th man.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said.

Are people really that uncomfortable with the facts that the Patriots fan base isn't so nuts? If you ask me many sports fans, especially the guys who walk around in a painted trash can or whatever, don't have a very healthy relationship with their sports.

Besides, Boston is a baseball town and that isn't really anything to be ashamed of. Wanting to be one of the most insane baseball AND football fan bases is just unrealistic.

Franchise12 said:

Kraft needs to pay off the bills from building the stadium. Methinks the ticket prices have more to do with that than gouging the fans. Then again, if people are willing to pay can you really blame him for charging what he does?

PatsFanSince74 said:
i can't speak to detroit, but i sure disagree with your putting Buffalo over Philly. I grew up there and the eagles are like religion. also, I thought Buffalo had trouble selling out the stadium? How can they be ranked about the iggles fans if they don't sell out every sunday?

You guys can at least check your facts. Buffalo sells out all their games. They get 80,000 in their stadium. Despite the fact that only 240,000 people LIVE in Buffalo, and an additional 730,000 in the outlying areas.

I lived in Philly for 5 years. It just does NOT compare to Buffalo. Not at all. Philly fans are rabid fans but they DON'T live and die for the Eagles. They have other things to do. The Bills are so absolutely woven into the fabric of life up here that it's pathetic.

As I said, I've lived in 4 NFL areas in my life (New England, Philly, Ypsilanti Mich, and Buffalo) and Buffalo far surpasses football in those other areas.

It has nothing to do with it being a baseball town. Gillete stadium is still sold out. the lack of desire in the crowd is because you have a percentage of the tea and crumpets crowd that comes to the games for the novelty. Then you have the percentage that won the tickets at some raffle at work you might know those people as the "fans" that are eating lobsters and shrimp indoors at the start of the 3rd quarter that happen to leave the midfield, red seats empty. then you have the people that I respect the REAL fans in the nose bleed section of the stadium yelling their as$es off. I believe that raising the prices on those tickets shunned away the fans that most of the players really appreciate, the fans that give them that extra something to push even harder even when their running out of steam in 4th qtr.

think about this, I get out of my seat when the opposition is on 3rd down to make noise and some crumpet behind me tells me and my friends to sit down. some of you in the crowd need to trade in your tickets to see the Boston Pops .the fans dont make noise there.

Franchise12 said:

AMEN dude..I couldnt have said it better myself,Thats a DARN good point!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes