PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Most problematic matchup? Wilfork/Haynesworth or Nnamdi/Revis?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which duo is the most problematic for Offensive Coordinators...

• Wilfork/Haynesworth

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Revis/Nnamdi

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brady199

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Which duo would be most problematic for offensive coordinators around the league?

Edit - (Assuming Haynesworth puts forth an honest effort.)

They say games are decided in the trenches, but with the possible Revis/Nnamdi duo, the Jets could cheat a lot to help the pass rush or defend the run.

Last edited:
It depends how good AH can be. We already have a pretty good idea of how good Nnamdi and Revis would be. Haynesworth essentially hasn't played since 2009 given how much he was off last season.

Which duo would be most problematic for offensive coordinators around the league?

They say games are decided in the trenches, but with the possible Revis/Nnamdi duo, the Jets could cheat a lot to help the pass rush or defend the run.

It will be interesting to see if, Nnamdi does in fact go to the Jets and Albert can come in here and prove to be a force again, I think we will find the answer to the question.

Our run defense should be great and there pass defense would certainly be spectacular but which one of those translates into a W?

It starts up front.

Simple math, Revis/Nnamdi take away 2 players (WRs) from the opposing offense, Wilfork/Haynesworth take away 4 players(OL/TE/RB) from the opposing offense.

Good line play > Good defensive backfield play.

Every time. At least in terms of how important it is to the outcome of the game.

I'd have to say, though, that Haynesworth is nowhere near the sure bet that Nnamdi is, at this point, so while the potential is there for Wilfork/Haynesworth to be a bigger problem for teams than Nnamdi/Revis, it's not likely. Nnamdi/Revis is just a ridiculous tandem and I pray to every god I can think of that it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
interesting question, I do not have the answer.

I think Haynesworth was a great signing, I expect him to play well for the Pats for years to come.

On one hand you take away the pass, on the other you take away the run and pressure the QB.

We will have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Aso to the Jets and AH returning to form are still????

Incarcerated Bob says Assomugger has signed with YOUR Toejammettes

Haynesworth is playing for another contract after this season....he's played hard ONCE...in a situation like this...I'm guessing the Pats use him this season and then kick him to the curb when he goes on the market

Pretty much what fnord said. Wilfork/Haynesworth has the potential to be more disruptive, but Asomugha is a sure thing and Haynesworth is far from it.

I'd have to say that if i was an OC being honest... having to go up agains NNamdi and Revis would give me a bit more trouble then Wilfork and AH.

Because it basically blankets two of your recievers 1 on 1. Then your offense becomes more limited in what they can do. Limited offense means rex can scheme for that type of O.

Now in saying that i just can't see how they can pay all of those guys. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but hey... if they can do it then it will be a ridiculously good offseason for both clubs.

Come on guys....homerism aside please. While line play is definitely more important than what goes on in the secondary, we are talking about a very good DT and one with question marks against the best CB duo in NFL history.

Last edited:
Come on guys....homerism aside please. While line play is definitely more important than what goes on in the secondary, we are talking about a very good DT and one with question marks against the best CB duo in NFL history.

I have to agree. Haynesworth is simply a questionmark at this point. IF he plays hard, we could have one of the best D-lines in the NFL. If the Jets get Nnamdi we're pretty much sure they will have the best secondary.

Both coverage and line pressure can lead to sacks. If you can't find a target any pass rush will eventually get there, and if you can't stop the d-line it doesn't matter who you have in coverage if you don't get the ball out quick enough.

It's dumb to compare the two right now when Haynesworth (he has to pass his conditioning first) isn't even a Patriot yet and Nnamdi hasn't said yes as far as we know.

Last edited:
If AH is trying, I'll take Wilfork/AH. Both demand double teams and AH is a monster at generating interior pressure and is great against the run.

The iffy part is whether or not he's trying.

The corners, by a mile

The corners, by a mile
I'm interested to read why given football starts with the lines (which we both agree on).

A disruptive defensive line is far far far more valuable than 2 corners surely? Hell look at what the Giants were able to achieve in that game that will not be named with Corey Webster and Sam Madison as their starters.

Plus, you've been bemoaning the loss of Richard Seymour for a while now.

Last edited:
And of course it is a team sport.The best CB team in history might not help if you have bad safeties, LBs and Dline.

The question may be should be which is better, a dominate Dline and a decent secondary, or dominate CBs and a decent Dline?

First, right now it is still Revis and Kyle Wilson.

Second, it all depends on which Albert Haynesworth shows up.

I have always believed that football is won in the trenches on defense. So two stud d-linemen trump two stud CBs. So assuming the Jets get Asomugha and all four players play to their potential, I will take Haynesworth and Wilfork over Revis and Asomgha. Even Revis and Asonugha cannot cover receivers forever if they don't ut pressure on the QB. It think Revis and Asomugha are better players though.

Last edited:
And of course it is a team sport.The best CB team in history might not help if you have bad safeties, LBs and Dline.

The question may be should be which is better, a dominate Dline and a decent secondary, or dominate CBs and a decent Dline?
My theory is it has to be the defensive line (and I've been on this for a while). An average to below average d-line allows the QB time to pick which receiver he wants to throw at and allows the running backs to do as they please, thus giving the offense complete control of the clock.

I'm interested to read why given football starts with the lines (which we both agree on).

A disruptive defensive line is far far far more valuable than 2 corners surely? Hell look at what the Giants were able to achieve in that game that will not be named with Corey Webster and Sam Madison as their starters.

Plus, you've been bemoaning the loss of Richard Seymour for a while now.

You have all the offensive players close to the line, so you can double team on blocks. You can't really double team a cornerback, though, and there will be 2 elite CBs shutting down opponents. Take a look at the Jets' schedule for the year.

Cowboys
Jaguars
Raiders
Ravens
Patriots
Dolphins
Chargers
Bills
Patriots
Broncos
Bills
Redskins
Chiefs
Eagles
Giants
Dolphins

Between the teams with shaky QBs, the teams with shaky receivers, The teams with no running games to keep the Jets honest, and the teams with shaky lines, there are a lot of interceptions just waiting to happen in that group.

Last edited:
I'll take the two linemen that require double teams damn near all the time thank you. If warren can return to form this defense will be down right scary. Spikes and mayo left relatively unmolested...every play-for a fifth round pick? BB would be a fool not to take the chance. AH has been "acting like a damn fool," but in BB we trust lol.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back