Welcome to PatsFans.com

Most overrated band today

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Jacky Roberts, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Jacky Roberts

Jacky Roberts Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Everyone has their opinion, but for me, the most overrated band today, maybe EVER, is Pearl Jam. I went to see them in concert the other day after several of my co-workers told me for years how great they were, and the show sucked. I have no idea what the fuss is about.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +399 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Everyone seems to love those guys live. I bought their first few CDs but lost interest and have never seen them live.
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its got to be the Rolling Stones. I saw a guy wearing a shirt that said "It ain't a concert, its the Rolling Stones onstage." Yeah they stopped doing anything much more then standing on stage around 1981.
  4. Jacky Roberts

Jacky Roberts Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Their first CD was great, but they've put out nothing but crap since. I'm sure most of their fans stayed with them after their first album.
  5. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Thank you!!!! they havent done an original thing since 1968 (Sympathy.., Gimme Shelter, Jumpin Jack Flash etc). Brian Jones brought something different to their sound. John Lennon was right about what he said aboot the Stones in his last interview, that they were pathetic even then. now, 26 years later....
  6. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I was never big on the Stones although, I think their best stuff was done when Brian Jones was alive.
    But I have to tip my hat for their perseverence and longevity.
  7. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Cold F*cking Play

I don't think U2 has done anything special for over a decade now.
  8. Tyler Faith

Tyler Faith Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I was going to say the Stones too but was afraid I'd get booted for it. Glad you said it for me.

Hey fellahs, you got a call coming in, pick it up on line 3...it's Sunny Rest Home...time to take your pills! LOL
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005
  9. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +666 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

I dunno, guys. I saw the Stones twice in the past year and it's a pretty high-energy show. Jagger is amazingly athletic for 62, he runs eight miles a day and lifts weights to prepare for a tour. Plus, the Stones are still making original music so they remain much more than a nostalgia act. I publish a music magazine so I get to see tons of live shows, and I can confidently say that in general, most mainstream music fueled by the corporate recording industry is more flash and fashion than true substance. Popular music has gone downhill quality-wise since the end of the '70s and it all boils down to commodity marketing. That's why you need to search beyond commercial radio and MTV to find music where people can actually PLAY their instruments and WRITE real songs. Much of it is in our own backyards.

www.progressionmagazine.com
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  10. Bobs My Uncle

Bobs My Uncle PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 7 / -1

#12 Jersey

For the stuff that Mick and the boys have put out they can never be overrated. Most acts thats call themselves bands can't hold a candle to even the present day Stones. Now, given how bad current music is these days, that may not be a ringing endorsement for the Stones but "Exile on Main Street", "Let it Bleed" and "Beggars Banquet" will ensure the Stones a place as one of the best bands in the history of music.

As to the question, IMO, the most overated band is Oasis. Must be a British thing with all of their accolades but these guys are truly horrid.
  11. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The first few songs on that first album are great and then everything after that has been crap.

Metallica with short hair is also the suck and highly over-rated. From and justice for all to reload:eek:

Of course if you want to hear bad music, come to Germany. Hip-Hop and Rap is on fire here at the moment and it is the most horrid noise...ever!

What actually offends me is when Rolling Stone and other music publications do their annual 100 greatest bands or songs etc lists, and they put whatever stupid boy band is the hot item at the time at #1.

(sarcasm) Yeah, cause the Backstreet Boys are way better than Zeppelin (end sarcasm) They should be shot for that.
  12. Bobs My Uncle

Ratings:
    +34 / 7 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'm so very glad that you correctly qualified Hip-Hop and Rap as noise as you have.
  13. Jacky Roberts

Jacky Roberts Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Metallica since Load has been bad, no doubt. Justice is a great album, though and the Black album isn't bad.
  14. Bobs My Uncle

Ratings:
    +34 / 7 / -1

#12 Jersey

This band and Tyler Faith thingy got me thinking as I'm sometime prone to do.

I play lead. I'm sure if Tyler practiced hard and long enough she could sing. Does anyone play drums, keys or bass? I'm thinking we could hit the road ......
  15. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I never understood the Bruce "the boss" Springstien popularity. I can't stand anything he has ever done. Same for Dave Matthews and Fish. Hugely popular with rabid fanatics but, I can't stand 2 seconds of any of them.
  16. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

pearl jam is a good choice.i saw them once and walked out half way thru .they have one good cd as far as im concerned.i think you can add u2 to that list also .
  17. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Naaa. Everything up to and including Joshua Tree is great. After that :p
  18. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Tyler Faith...or whoever this person is...is the most overrated.

Oh, you mean band?

Cold Play sometimes has good melodies...but that singer needs to be shot. He really is a sad sack.

Anything that is derived from the crap-tacular show American Idol isn't worth a crap...even though I would LOVE to shag that blonde country babe that won from last year. She is from Oklahoma. If nayone has her contact number...I would be willing to pay so good money for it. She is friggin yummy!!!!

Anything that is constsntly played on MTV...is a good candidate for overrated.

Aerosmith is overrated. Never really got that.

GunsNRoses never was that good in my opinion. I do like Night train though. Awesome song.

Their new demo song IRS is pretty good also. Axl stole Robin Finck from Trent Reznor...phucking idiot. Robin is Axl's new guitarist now since Buckethead left.
  19. Hendrix

Hendrix Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

no...their first 2 albums are extremely good. Their third was pretty good..the rest in my opinion are meh

if you're going to judge pearl jam, do it before about 1996
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2005
  20. Hendrix

Hendrix Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1. Stones are not near overrated
    2. Pearl Jam is only overrated after 1996

3. All those pop punk/emo bands are basically overrated. definately, definately. This decade is almost like the 80's. Weird pop music (some cool), a few good rock acts..but everything's down.