PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Most Likely Value FA Pickups For The Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As you all know the Patriots have 3 glaring weakensses heading into the offseason and in the FA waters I see some value guys that we are likely to pursue or at least look at..If you are expecting big names to come forget it...Unless you just became a Patriots fan you know we are not going after the highest most expensive available guys and the VALUE guys are what we will get once more-FORGET LANCE BRIGGS,ADALIUS THOMAS ECT:!!...Our main needs IMO are:

Running Back with the likely retirement of Corey Dillon or just as likely a dismissal because of huge cap space.

Wide Reciever because we simply can't go another season with Reche as a #1 or #2 - A #3 receiver he is and thats it...like him or not,and Chad is still a question mark and Gaffney has looked good but that means little for next year so questions persist here-Right now we have no #1 receiver and need one next year,Having a #1 WR on your team never hurts when trying to soften defenses.

Linebacker by far is the most worrisome...If Tedi retires and Seau is not expected back along with aging players like Vrabel and good but not great OLBs like Colvin we are in trouble if the most glaring weakness on this team is not addressed IMO,Banta Cain is NOT a quality LB starter-Pretty much what it comes down to is we have aging players like Tedi and Mike and other guys who are so so players on LB and is the BIGGEST concern to fill in 2007.

Defensive Back is always a concern here-Injuries have become an annual tradition in the Patriots backfield and may become worse if Asante leaves so secondary is right there as a must in importance as well.

So the FA available players I see which are not big time big money players but may be productive in our system and may contribute and have a shot to make the team are as follows and in the likelihood of becoming Patriots ......

RUNNING BACK: Adrian Peterson,Nick Goings and B.J. Sams

WIDE RECEIVER: Travis Taylor,Bobby Ingram,Jerome Pathon

LINEBACKER: Randall Godfrey,Rob Morris,James Darling

DEFENSIVE BACK: Tony Parrish,Tyrone Carter,David Macklin

Take it to the bank that at least 2 of these guys I mentioned above are in our training camp in July..At least 2 - The rest of the weak spots to be filled by the draft and competition for roster spots will be fierce once again.

Last edited:
As you all know the Patriots have 3 glaring weakensses heading into the offseason and in the FA waters I see some value guys that we are likely to pursue or at least look at..If you are expecting big names to come forget it...Unless you just became a Patriots fan you know we are not going after the highest most expensive available guys and the VALUE guys are what we will get once more-FORGET LANCE BRIGGS,ADALIUS THOMAS ECT:!!...Our main needs IMO are:

Running Back with the likely retirement of Corey Dillon or just as likely a dismissal because of huge cap space.

Wide Reciever because we simply can't go another season with Reche as a #1 or #2 - A #3 receiver he is and thats it...like him or not,and Chad is still a question mark and Gaffney has looked good but that means little for next year so questions persist here-Right now we have no #1 receiver and need one next year,Having a #1 WR on your team never hurts when trying to soften defenses.

Linebacker by far is the most worrisome...If Tedi retires and Seau is not expected back along with aging players like Vrabel and good but not great OLBs like Colvin we are in trouble if the most glaring weakness on this team is not addressed IMO,Banta Cain is NOT a quality LB starter-Pretty much what it comes down to is we have aging players like Tedi and Mike and other guys who are so so players on LB and is the BIGGEST concern to fill in 2007.

Defensive Back is always a concern here-Injuries have become an annual tradition in the Patriots backfield and may become worse if Asante leaves so secondary is right there as a must in importance as well.

So the FA available players I see which are not big time big money players but may be productive in our system and may contribute and have a shot to make the team are as follows and in the likelihood of becoming Patriots ......

RUNNING BACK: Adrian Peterson,Nick Goings and B.J. Sams

WIDE RECEIVER: Travis Taylor,Bobby Ingram,Jerome Pathon

LINEBACKER: Randall Godfrey,Rob Morris,James Darling

DEFENSIVE BACK: Tony Parrish,Tyrone Carter,David Macklin

Take it to the bank that at least 2 of these guys I mentioned above are in our training camp in July..At least 2 - The rest of the weak spots to be filled by the draft and competition for roster spots will be fierce once again.

We have $30 million in cap room, there is no reason this team should settle for also rans and has beens. With the 9th most cap room in the league, anything less than a few solid names, is a failure of an off season. If we keep the same team next year, while just adding Nick Goings and Tony Parrish, I'll have to really start questioning Pioli and Kraft.

Jerome Pathon?!?!

Just a little bit over the hill...this isn't 200.

Last edited:
What a curious idea. You think that name recognition is the measure of a successful off-season.

BTW, last year would have been fine if Branch had either extended or played out the last year of his contract. It was Branch's HOLDOUT that made last offseason look bad.

We have $30 million in cap room, there is no reason this team should settle for also rans and has beens. With the 9th most cap room in the league, anything less than a few solid names, is a failure of an off season. If we keep the same team next year, while just adding Nick Goings and Tony Parrish, I'll have to really start questioning Pioli and Kraft.

Bobby Ingrahm ??? Jerome Pathon???? Oh my god, there are others and will be others...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back