PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Most likely trading partner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Lately, I've been vocalizing that we'll probably not be able to trade down, as there seems to be no player likely available at #7 that would cause somebody to trade up.....

However, I was concentrating on teams drafting after us.

Let's say Atlanta drafts whomever is on the board of Long, Dorsey, or Long at #3.....could they then trade up to #7 to get Ryan? If they select Ryan at #3, they won't be able to get a stud on one of their lines.

I'd have to see if Atlanta can afford two top-seven salaries. Or if they can manipulate the rookie cap to do it. They have two #2s as it is. Perhaps they would trade both #2s and a 4/5 and their #1 next year?

Problem would be that the Patriots wouldn't get a pick in the first round, but with #37, 48, 62, 69, 94 in the first three rounds, they have plenty of ammunition to move back up into the first to snag somebody they really like, plus get another (likely high) first rounder for next year.

I see it as fairly unlikely, but Atlanta could be our most probably trade partner. Dimitroff there certainly won't hurt.

Could this work? Should BB do it, presented with the opportunity?

Lately, I've been vocalizing that we'll probably not be able to trade down, as there seems to be no player likely available at #7 that would cause somebody to trade up.....

Let's say Atlanta drafts whomever is on the board of Long, Dorsey, or Long at #3.....could they then trade up to #7 to get Ryan? If they select Ryan at #3, they won't be able to get a stud on one of their lines.

I'd have to see if Atlanta can afford two top-seven salaries. Or if they can manipulate the rookie cap to do it. They have two #2s as it is. Perhaps they would trade both #2s and a 4/5 and their #1 next year?

Problem would be that the Patriots wouldn't get a pick in the first round, but with #37, 48, 62, 69, 94 in the first three rounds, they have plenty of ammunition to move back up into the first to snag somebody they really like, plus get another (likely high) first rounder for next year.

I see it as fairly unlikely, but Atlanta could be our most probably trade partner. Dimitroff there certainly won't hurt.

If Ryan falls, there could be several teams looking to trade up, such as Carolina, Chicago, even Baltimore 1 slot (to make sure NE doesn't trade the pick elsewhere). As far as Atlanta, this is supposed to be a very good year for OTs and there's alot of perceived quality lavailable in rd 2, Cherilus, Otah, Collins, Baker, Cousins, Nicks etc.

other players who may attract trade offers

McFadden: all it takes is one team like Denver to fall in love with him.
Dorsey: A 4-3 team looking for interior line help such as Cinci, or even Chicago, might jump considering the Dt class is considered weak after the 1st 2 players.
Clady: Some believe he is a better LT prospect than Long. If a team doesn't see a true LT available after Clady, not even Williams, they may jump.
Gholston: seems crazy not to simply draft him, but he would be a very good trading chip.

I could also see KC trading down with NE and taking Clady at 7, if the Pats really want C. Long.

If Ryan falls, there could be several teams looking to trade up, such as Carolina, Chicago, even Baltimore 1 slot (to make sure NE doesn't trade the pick elsewhere). As far as Atlanta, this is supposed to be a very good year for OTs and there's alot of perceived quality lavailable in rd 2, Cherilus, Otah, Collins, Baker, Cousins, Nicks etc.

Given. My assumption (which is purely hypothetical, since it's a posteriori knowledge) was that if Atlanta didn't think they could trade back up, they would draft Ryan at #3. If Ryan goes in the top 6 picks, I can't see the Patriots being able to trade down.

Last edited:
You're definitely right that going forward we have to look at Atlanta the same way he have looked at Baltimore and Chicago in the past.

Not sure how much I like the idea, but if it rocks BB's world, who am I to argue? :)

As for the overall salary cap, I don't know. As for the rookie cap, they shouldn't need to manipulate it--the size of the salary cap is based on the slots used (so, if the Falcons draft #3 and #7, they would get the allotments assigned to those two slots, plus whatever they used later).

Prior to signing Michael Turner, I would have agreed with this as being a definate possiblity. Now, not a chance. They'll take Ryan at 3 and live with their 2 2's in this deep draft. The Falcons have so many holes to fill, I just couldn't see them being interested.

I did bring this exact same scenario up in a post I put out a month ago, with the thinking of them drafting McFadden and coming back to us to ask about Ryan if he fell to us. Michael Turner just ruined that idea. Not to mention, even if they didn't sign Turner, I have bad feeling that DMac is going to drop like an anvil because of the shady background. I'm really hoping he falls to us, some team will hand us the farm for him.

I'm really hoping he falls to us, some team will hand us the farm for him.

Why? Why will teams give the farm for our pick at #7, but not the Chiefs @ 5, The Ravens @ 8, or the Bengals @9, for example? Each pick they wait, they save money on his contract. There seems to be no reason to take McFadden at 7, since neither the Pats or Ravens are going to draft him, even if a team was that high on him that they were willing to give the farm.

I think he'll fall to us, and keep on falling.

Last edited:
"Why? Why will teams give the farm for our pick at #7, but not the Chiefs @ 5, The Ravens @ 8, or the Bengals @9"

No one said teams wouldn't give up the farm to the Chiefs, us, the Ravens or the Bengals. To be honest, if DMac slips by the Jets, if you look at the next 6teams, there's a real good chance he drops all the way to the Broncos or Panthers.

I could easily see the Lions, Texans, Bucs or Titans picking up the phone and calling us knowing we're one of the teams looking to trade down. Why would they take the chance hoping DMac falls into the middle of the round if they really want him that bad?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the best case scenario for us is if Ryan falls to #7. Someone Detriot, Carolina, or Chicago is going to want to leapfrog Baltimore to get to Ryan.

I really think Dimitroff and Atlanta have to be crazy to pass on Ryan, especially when they can get OT's and DT's of decent quality in the second and third rounds.

If Atlanta does the unexpected and passes on Ryan, then I expect Oakland's phone to blow up. If Oakland passes on a trade, then KC's phone will blow up and so on until the unlikely event Ryan is available when we pick.

I forgot to mention Dallas for McFadden at #7 as an obvious option, with #22 and #28 in return. How about this first 3 rds:

#22 OLB Groves
#28 to Atlanta for Deangelo Hall/or draft Cason
#63 OG McGlynn
#69 TE Carlson
#93 ILB B. Bell

2nd day look for NT/OT/SS/RB

Last edited:
I'm hoping we trade down to the 12 to 15 range. then we trade down again to around the 20th range and pick up extra picks. We'll still get a decent CB or one of the better LB's at the 20 range. Not something we see every year but if anyone can do it Bill can.

I'm hoping we trade down to the 12 to 15 range. then we trade down again to around the 20th range and pick up extra picks. We'll still get a decent CB or one of the better LB's at the 20 range. Not something we see every year but if anyone can do it Bill can.

If we get a pick in the 12-15 range, I would stay there. That's because you can sign that pick to a 6 year deal. Once you get to the bottom half of the 1st round, the max deal they can sign is 5 years. If you drafted a stud with your 1st round pick, that extra year of that stud's services at rookie prices is worth MUCH more than an extra 3rd round pick to move down again.

I think a team like Denver or Carolina would trade up for S.Ellis. Cincy would snag him at 9 So, if he's available. I think we can move down and get a two. Could go something like this.

Miami C.Long
St.L J.Long
Atl M.Ryan
Oak. G.Dorsey
KC Trade out to Dallas for DMAC.
NYJ V.Gholston
NE Trade out for S.Ellis

If KC takes S.Ellis. We could be sitting at 7 with DMAC on the board. And, Jerry Jones itching to trade up.

I think a team like Denver or Carolina would trade up for S.Ellis. Cincy would snag him at 9 So, if he's available. I think we can move down and get a two. Could go something like this.

Miami C.Long
St.L J.Long
Atl M.Ryan
Oak. G.Dorsey
KC Trade out to Dallas for DMAC.
NYJ V.Gholston
NE Trade out for S.Ellis

If KC takes S.Ellis. We could be sitting at 7 with DMAC on the board. And, Jerry Jones itching to trade up.

I think if KC takes Ellis, The Jets will be sitting pretty to trade with Dallas. I don't see them taking Gholston anymore after today's signing, and they could either take McFadden or trade it to Dallas.

Last edited:
I think we can all just forget about Dallas moving up to get McFadden. We're not as stupid as the media. Dallas has a back in Barber that is a top 10 back in the NFL. What does McFadden add but a whole lot of risk. Jerry Jones is not stupid. He blew two first rounders signing Joey Galloway and swore never to do it again. Galloway back then and McFadden now are actually very similar propositions. Flashy, big play, WOW guys. As W would say, There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me twice — you can't get fooled again

Thief

Dryheat, Mr Hunter S., I posted this exact scenario a couple weeks ago. I had it figured that we might take 3 2s and a player or 2 if they didnt want the #1 next year. I think Keith Brooking should be able to be free. Not sure on who they wanted at 3, I was liking them taking DMF and sending us J.Norwood with the picks. Now that DMF isnt a possibility I think any one of the lineman are most likely. I went over to one of their websites to ask them about it and all they want to do is trade D.Hall for #7,etc,etc, and they want lineman. Why is it every team above us, every team that SUCKS now wants lineman to rebuild with? I am starting to become concerned that they might be learning something....By the way, most fan sites HATE RYAN because they realize how tight he and Mayock are and figure collusion....Just like the Bears, Miami,etc, they all want to get Flacco in the 3rd....PS, Just in case you didnt get the first line(SARCASM). Mimicry is the most sincere form of flattery!

Last edited:
I forgot to mention Dallas for McFadden at #7 as an obvious option, with #22 and #28 in return. How about this first 3 rds:

#22 OLB Groves
#28 to Atlanta for Deangelo Hall/or draft Cason
#63 OG McGlynn
#69 TE Carlson
#93 ILB B. Bell

2nd day look for NT/OT/SS/RB

Like that one! Think SS is more of a need than guard though.
DW Toys

Like that one! Think SS is more of a need than guard though.
DW Toys

Guess you didn't watch the SB.

RG is certainly a bigger issue than SS. But, then again, you are the one who thinks that James Sanders can't play in this league even though Rodney Harrison is very high on this guy and Sanders is the reason that Wilson isn't hear anymore. Oh, and BB says that Sanders is a legit starter.

RG is certainly a bigger issue than SS.

Depending on the severity of Neal's knee injury, there is a legitmate need for an OG for next season. Hochstein is best at a substitute and Yates gets injured at least once a game.

McGlynn is supposed to be a nasty player and I like to see nasty at the OG spot.

McGlynn is supposed to be a nasty player and I like to see nasty at the OG spot.

Zuttah? I think he's undervalued. Give Dante one year with the kid and he'll look good on the right side.

Speaking of the right side, Super Bowl aside, I think RT is the position on the line that most needs upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down