PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Most Impressive Part of That W

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebman2112

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
NE's offense gets the ball back with 9:42 left on the clock, and takes it down the field in 1:43 for the TD. After the defense steps up by forcing a punt, the Patriots offense takes over with 3:58 on the clock. The patriots then proceed to take the ball down the field in :43 seconds for another TD, and after forcing a fumble on defense the Patriots then kill the remaining 2:25 off the clock for the win.

So, NE came back from being down by ten late in the fourth, to kneeling the remaining 2 minutes off the clock... if needed there's no question in my mind that NE could have scored again.

And, the Patriots and Tom Brady did all this without their Coach-to-QB audio system.

That's some pretty impressive football folks!

Last edited:
Thats why Belichick coaches situations so much.

Yes it is, and you could see the heart of that team on that field yesterday...after having everything go agaisnt them, they still held on...after disposing of all opponents so easily, u could see that they could handle pressure, and handle not being on top easily...it was a great win, only meared by all the accusation of Colt's cheating, and the refs.

thats why pats have won 3 sb's. i think sometimes we forget how difficult it is to win a SB. we are lucky to have the best at their postions. Kraft, Pioli, BB, Brady. and a real "TEAM" spirit.

thats why pats have won 3 sb's. i think sometimes we forget how difficult it is to win a SB. we are lucky to have the best at their postions. Kraft, Pioli, BB, Brady. and a real "TEAM" spirit.

And this is especially where Pioli/BB's choices shine the brightest, the intangibles.

Did they land a Ladanian Tomlinson (or a Joseph Addai, or an Adrian Petersen...)? No.

Do they routinely land talented football players who can "overperform" when the most is on the line?

Oh yeah.

You could see the team will on every face out there, once they had come to terms with being down, the bad calls, etc.

There are teams where the adversity crumples you and there are teams where adversity feeds you... Individuals of both types too. But when the team chemistry takes over, the individual will doesn't have to go it alone... Brady can count on every guy out there to respond as he does. It's not an additional fight for everyone to truly want to win.

BB and SP make sure we build a team that lives and breathes "team will."

PFnV

NE's offense gets the ball back with 9:42 left on the clock, and takes it down the field in 1:43 for the TD. After the defense steps up by forcing a punt, the Patriots offense takes over with 3:58 on the clock. The patriots then proceed to take the ball down the field in :43 seconds for another TD, and after forcing a fumble on defense the Patriots then kill the remaining 2:25 off the clock for the win.

So, NE came back from being down by ten late in the fourth, to kneeling the remaining 2 minutes off the clock... if needed there's no question my mind that NE could have scored again.

And, the Patriots and Tom Brady did all this without their Coach-to-QB audio system.

That's some pretty impressive football folks!

Anyone notice that no one mentioned that the Pats didn't try to score again to "run up the score". :D

i thought the most impressive part of the victory was the fact that the game was rigged for the colts and the pats still won.

Quite frankly, the most impressive part of the W, was the defense stopping the Colts when it was 20-17 to get the ball back for Brady, then stopping them AGAIN, when we had the lead.

You tell me. If you are playing the Colts down 10 and there are 4 possessions left, which are you more concerned about?:
Scoring twice
Stopping them twice AND stopping them fast enough that they don't chew up enough clock that you get the ball back with 1:30 left and 80 yards to go.

On all honesty, the New England Patriots defense bailed out the New England Patriots offense in the second half.

As for all the penalties called against the New England Patriots, that was the most corrupt group of NFL referees I have ever seen in my entire life (even worse than the chumps who called the 1975 AFC Divisional Playoffs).

Listening to BB on EEI tonight you could tell he wasn't liking their chances when they were down by 10 either. No surprise but, to hear him spell it out the way he did reminds you they go through a lot of the same feeling us fans go through during a game.

Quite frankly, the most impressive part of the W, was the defense stopping the Colts when it was 20-17 to get the ball back for Brady, then stopping them AGAIN, when we had the lead.

I agree. After we scored that TD, it felt like the same old feeling I had in the AFCCG...how the F do we stop Manning right now?

I'm sure Colts fans feel the same way watching Brady work, and that's what makes the rivalry special.

yeah overcoming all the penalties was impressive

I was impressed that while our offense couldn't do much in the first half, Brady was under too much pressure and Maroney was inconsistent at best, we managed to make adjustments and improved in the 2nd half. The Colts, on the other hand, were the reverse. The first half they moved the ball at will, until they got to the red zone, and wound up with 3 FG attempts, only 2 of which were made, one being blocked. This was a big improvement over our red zone defense of the 1st 7 games of the year.
One guage of just how good the Colts defense performed was the lack of YAC, which we have been league leaders all year. One glaring weak spot was their coverage of Welker on KO and PR. Both were instrumental to the two game winning drives in the last 8 min.
Another impressive reversal was our ability to protect Tommy in the 2nd half and the breakdown of Manning's protection in the 4th Qtr. We definitely won this one "the right way". If there were another 10 min in this game we would have continued to pull away, no doubt.
Finally, a curious observation of Peyton as the teams were leaving the field. The camera kept going back to him trying to catch a reaction, I suppose, and he did seem to be looking for somone. He wasn't trying to interact with Tom and seemed a little lost. After the 3rd or 4th cutback to him, it appeared that he did connect with a Patriot for a few words, --Stallworth..

BB talked about those eight minutes in some press conference (not sure which one, last night or today) and you could see he was truly proud and happy. He smiled.

I was in awe. It was one heluva turnaround in the game, a strong enough team performance, all three phases, for a little emotion to escape the locker room. A great way to go into the bye.

I was impressed that while our offense couldn't do much in the first half, Brady was under too much pressure and Maroney was inconsistent at best, we managed to make adjustments and improved in the 2nd half. The Colts, on the other hand, were the reverse. The first half they moved the ball at will, until they got to the red zone, and wound up with 3 FG attempts, only 2 of which were made, one being blocked. This was a big improvement over our red zone defense of the 1st 7 games of the year.
One guage of just how good the Colts defense performed was the lack of YAC, which we have been league leaders all year. One glaring weak spot was their coverage of Welker on KO and PR. Both were instrumental to the two game winning drives in the last 8 min.
Another impressive reversal was our ability to protect Tommy in the 2nd half and the breakdown of Manning's protection in the 4th Qtr. We definitely won this one "the right way". If there were another 10 min in this game we would have continued to pull away, no doubt.
Finally, a curious observation of Peyton as the teams were leaving the field. The camera kept going back to him trying to catch a reaction, I suppose, and he did seem to be looking for somone. He wasn't trying to interact with Tom and seemed a little lost. After the 3rd or 4th cutback to him, it appeared that he did connect with a Patriot for a few words, --Stallworth..

Huh......?

BB talked about those eight minutes in some press conference (not sure which one, last night or today) and you could see he was truly proud and happy. He smiled.

I was in awe. It was one heluva turnaround in the game, a strong enough team performance, all three phases, for a little emotion to escape the locker room. A great way to go into the bye.

Yea, that's what I was saying, it was the entire end of the game that was impressive, not just their offensive production during those final minutes. I hope that was understood?

I should have pointed out the Patriots play on special teams as well, which was outstanding, and (as predicted) proved to be one of NE's true advantages.

What impressed me? The 2 late passes to Welker. Two HUGE situations...3rd and goal (serious suckage to settle for a FG there) and 3rd and 6 (even more suckage to give the ball back to the Colts with 2 minutes). Brady and Welker make it look easy...but how many times do you see those out patterns result in a pick-6? Talk about disaster...

People have asked if this game provided a blueprint for beating the Pats. In a strange way, I actually think it did. Do whatever you need to do to get up by 3 scores. Trick plays, weird formations, hisk risk defense, whatever. As opposed to past years, the Pats have the talent, depth and mentality to take over in the second half against anyone. You aren't going to win late in the game, so you better win big early in the game.

Besides the obvious lame penalties. The coaches who made the adjustments on both sides of the ball for the Pat's saved our asses.. As well as Welker on special teams. Moss is probably the most gifted football I've ever watched and yes, I grew up watching Rice play. Incredible victory considering what we were up against. Basically the Colts defense ran out of gas and we punched them in the mouth in the 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes