Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Most elusive RB ever?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to vote for Barry Sanders. There's something to be said for a guy that gains that many hard fought yards and scores that many touchdowns without even spiking the ball once. It's a crime he was banished to a crappy team his whole career.

My favorite player ever not on the Patriots is Barry Sanders. He did so much with so little.

Did many of you guys actually see Gale Sayers play? After Brown; he's the best I ever seen.

I will admiit that Sanders is probably the greatest RB of all time, but I think Sayers was the most elusive. Hopefully some day we will be mentioning Laurence You-Know-Who (don't wanna jinx it) in the same breath as thos etwo.

Most elusive -- Gale Sayers without a doubt (in my mind).

Best RB ever -- Jim Brown.

I don't know enough about Gale Sayers to make a fair vote, Barry was great though wish he didn't retire so soon.

Most elusive -- Gale Sayers without a doubt (in my mind).

Best RB ever -- Jim Brown.

Without a doubt, Jim Brown was the all time best, and knew when to walk away.

A lot of you guys are very young, Gale Sayers was sick !! 5 TD's in one game, all of the different varieties, Running, Receiving & Returns all in the same game. No question Sayers & Sanders are #1 & #2 alltime (as far as elusiveness), but I'd have to say Gale Sayers was #1. Watch some highlites sometime.
Make it six. I voted for Sayers.

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/hbsayers.shtml

A lot of you guys are very young, Gale Sayers was sick !! 5 TD's in one game, all of the different varieties, Running, Receiving & Returns all in the same game. No question Sayers & Sanders are #1 & #2 alltime (as far as elusiveness), but I'd have to say Gale Sayers was #1. Watch some highlites sometime.

On his final touchdown that day, in the rain, on a punt return he made some of the greatest movies ever captured on film.

Never saw Sayers, so I can't say. IMHO, the best I ever saw and would be willing to put him up against anyone, anywhere has to be Barry Sanders. Just in pure talent and class, he is in a league of his own. Imagine having him in his prime on the Pats right now! OMG! 2,500 yards and 40 TD!! LaDaniian who???

Agreed - Sayers was the best that I have seen play

Theres a guy named Ricky Watters who was pretty good in his prime as well....Eric ****erson was one of those guys too...There are many others that can be mentioned as well as elusive runners whether they were bigger physical type backs or not.

****erson....yes. Waters...no

Gale Sayers I think was just graceful and much more consistently always working downhill more than Barry.

By your question you said who was most "elusive". I think that was undoubtedly Barry. But by the same token; He lost a lot of yardage earning that elusive title. A bunch of times he broke em loose that way; but a whole lot of other times he turned those cut backs looking like end arounds into 8 yard losses too. (running behind a Detroit OL just has to suk - no matter what decade you are in.)

that's too tough. it's like asking a Catholic whether the advantage is with the Father, Son or Holy Ghost. I'll go with Sanders but will proably change my mind if i don't hit the Submit button right now...

Gale Sayers I think was just graceful and much more consistently always working downhill more than Barry.

By your question you said who was most "elusive". I think that was undoubtedly Barry. But by the same token; He lost a lot of yardage earning that elusive title. A bunch of times he broke em loose that way; but a whole lot of other times he turned those cut backs looking like end arounds into 8 yard losses too. (running behind a Detroit OL just has to suk - no matter what decade you are in.)

I belive Sanders holds the regard for most negative yardage by a running back.

I forget if it was Sayers or Sanders I heard say this one (want to say Sayers): in the open field he was always looking downfield to the second or third defender and planning moves to get around them. The immediate defender? He should be easy to get around with a simple move. They were both wonderful backs, but the most thrilling runner of all remains Jim Brown. Call them two 9.9s and a 10.

He does... but you will never see a more exciting 10 yrds lost!! lol-

Allot of people blame the Detroit O-line... but the fact is, many times Barry just opted not to take the first hole. He prefered to take his chances gaining 20 or losing 10, instead of just getting the 2-3 that was there.

Also... if you go back and watch some of his old highlight reels, you will see that Detroit actually did some good down field blocking for him, once he got into the second tier.

Im only 27, so I cant speak for Sayers, or Jim Brown, or O.J... as all I have to judge them by is the highlights.

But in MY lifetime... Barry was the best I have ever seen. Watching that guy on a football field, was like watching MJ on a B-Ball court. There was just something special about him, that can not be put into words.

youtube.com/watch?v=H8WDnnRVLiM - For those of you who want to re-live it a little.

Last edited:

That is why it is believed by many that he was not a great team player. Yes when he broke one he gained a lot of yards but hurt them team with all the negative yardage witch effected field position. The artificial turf helped him a lot, he was much less effective on natural grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back